My God, Maria's been PTS

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
I can't believe I'm writing this. Our beautiful old, 24 yr Andalusian mare, Maria, has just been PTS. She fractured her left fore radius, in a freak accident in the field, and there was nothing that could be done. I'm absolutely heartbroken, and can't believe I'm writing this.

I went to bring them in at 5pm today, to find her lying on the ground, flat out. At first I thought she was just trapped in her rug, but then saw blood all over her leg, and the grass. I then saw her left front leg, just above the knee, was completely broken. Tears streamed through my eyes, as, I knew that a break above the leg is, in the vet's own words, "catastrophic". We called the vet out immediately, and I waited with her, sitting on her neck to keep her still, as we waited. The vet came really quickly, however, she only needed to look to see there was absolutely nothing that could be done. At 18:20pm, Maria left this Earth. She went very peacefully, with no sedation prior necessary, and I was at her head the whole time. She's being collected tomorrow morning, and will then be cremated. Her body's in the middle of the jumping field (where we found her), covered with her rugs.

I'm so, so distraught. In the 10 years we've had horses we've actually never had one PTS, and really never envisaged it would happen like this. This shouldn't of happened to her. She was so, so kind and gentle. I'm crying so much right now. God, I still can't believe this has happened, it feels so unreal. Nasheeta the alpha mare, whom we bought together with Maria, and who was very, very close with her, is very subdued, and keeps whinnying for her, which makes me feel so bad.

R.I.P. Maria, we love you sweet lady. xxx

5d06d6bae2ff803fe221147e421e3553.jpg

f20b71922787b36a385bdbd232fc2556.jpg

0a34dfcab36296a15ee33259a0f40855.jpg

MochaDun

Visit site
I'm so sorry, what a horrid afternoon for you, dreadful when it's so sudden and unexpected. What a beautiful horse. RIP Maria.

Surreydeb

Visit site
So sorry, what a beautiful girl. Tragic to lose her like that, but lovely that you were there with her to bring her comfort at the end. RIP Maria

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Just as I logged on, this was top... so so sorry for your loss. It will be raw for you but I wish that your wounds heal and only beautiful memories remain. Run free Maria x

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
RIP, so , so sorry to read this :( always been my worst nightmare. I stood crying when my horse limped down the field slightly lame so I can't imagine how you are feeling. At least she lived to a good age and clearly had a fantastic life xxx hope you are ok

Enfys

Visit site
:( I am so sorry to read this. It is hard enough when you have to make the decision but when it is forced upon you it is devastating. My sympathy.

I don't know if you have done this already, but it may make it easy for Nasheeta if she can see and touch Maria if you can bring yourself to let her do that, often they are much calmer and more accepting when they can see that their friends have gone.

charlie76

Visit site
Sorry for your loss. Makes me appreciate my boy even more as he fractured his radius a few years back. It was pure luck that he was found almost straight after and he recovered after many weeks of being in a cast and cross tied.
So very sad for you.
Rip beautiful horse. Xx

PolarSkye

Visit site
Oh I am so very sorry :(. As others have said, she will have taken comfort from the fact that you were there at the end . . . but how horrific for you - and how brave you were/are. Please take care of yourself . . . do you have someone understanding with you this evening?

P

Fiona

Visit site
So sorry for your loss :( x x

I agree with enfys, we let the mares see Ben my welshie when he had to be put down. I think it helped them understand,I hope I did..

Fiona

atropa

Visit site
So, so sorry for your loss, what a terrible shock. Well done on being there for her until the very end. Be kind to yourself.