My guinea pigs hate their new house!

ArklePig

Visit site
Okay maybe not hate, but they're not acclimatising as quickly as they normally do when they've been brought places with us or to their minders.

They lost their brother Arkle Pig around a month ago but they weren't that bothered to be honest after a few days. Then we moved about three weeks after that.

We've been in the house for just over a week. Síoda is usually the less brave of the two, but it's Nóinín who won't come out of her hutch. She is eating and drinking and wheeking as normal. I'm just a bit worried about her, as they're used to a LOT of floor time and generally have the run of the place when we're home.

Anyway, any suggestions, or do I just need to give it time? (poor) pic for tax.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220322_192459.jpg
    Screenshot_20220322_192459.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 56

SilverLinings

Visit site
She is lovely :)

I'm definitely not a GP expert, but maybe she just needs a little longer to become used to her new surroundings. Slightly different situation, but when I've moved house in the past I've had dogs who've adjusted very quickly, and others who stayed anxious for a couple of weeks, almost as if they were waiting to go 'home' to the old house. As she's eating and behaving normally then it sounds like it is more likely to be uncertainty of her surroundings. But I will say again, I'm not a GP person!

I hope you all settle in soon, and that you enjoy your new home together.

ArklePig

Visit site
Thanks both, hopefully she is just coming around slowly!

House was bought last year as a probate sale and completely renovated-new floors, all walls plastered etc, so I'm not sure if there'd be any lingering smells to a piggies nose?

The thought just occurred to me that in our old house she could probably smell Arkle even after he died and not here so something seems off? I have had a good feel of her today and weighed her and as I said she's eating and drinking and popcorning so I'm confident she's not sick, I think?

Síoda (pictured) is her littermate and a complete sap, and usually once they have each other they're fine so I'm a bit stumped.

Attachments

• IMG_20220322_193657.jpg
    IMG_20220322_193657.jpg
    665.9 KB · Views: 26

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I used to take care of some piggies for a lady when she went away. They had a lovely two story hutch with plenty of room for the three of them. Could it be that your cage is simply too small?

ArklePig

Visit site
I'm thinking of getting a double floor actually! Though you still need to meet the recommended size on one floor as they need to be able to do their zoomies on one level.

I currently have the ferplast plaza 160 which is recommended for 3 piggies and I currently have two sows so it should be enough for them. They usually have an extension to that in the form of a pen with a rug under, which I take away in the evening to let them have more space and wander around the room (she usually follows me to the fridge, it's really very cute) .

So I don't think that's the issue but definitely worth shaking up their living arrangements if she doesn't come round soon.

stangs

Visit site
Is it possible that Nóinín used to get her confidence from Arkle Pig - was he the one that usually left the hutch to explore first in new places?

Regardless, as long as she physically looks well, and is behaving (mostly) like normal, I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like she's just clinging onto the familiarity of the hutch in this new environment, and, hopefully, will be inspired by Síoda's bravery to start looking around too.

To encourage that behaviour though, it might be worth trying really high reinforcing treats. Leave her some of her favourite veggies just outside the hutch, and, over the course of the week(s), slowly move them further away from the hutch (and spread them apart more across the room) as she starts venturing out to try them. Plus, that way, you've got the jealousy working in your favour if she can see Síoda enjoying them.

If she enjoys being cuddled, cuddle her on your lap, sat in the room, but don't stop her if she wants to leave or explore. That way, you're acting as the familiar thing, but she also needs to move around a bit to go eat. The hutch environment (as important as it is for them to have a safe place) doesn't give them much incentive to go for a wander, especially if they're lacking in confidence i.e. lacking in intrinsic motivation to explore.

(Tax payment much appreciated btw. Your two girls look very sweet!)

ArklePig

Visit site
Thank you @stangs that all actually makes a lot of sense and not sure why I didn't think that. Arkle being a big confident boar was definitely the leader of the pack, and he was threeish by the time we got the girls (after we lost Attila). Because the girls grew up with them this is actually her first time being the leader of the pack. It's actually a lot of change in a short time for a piggy.

I gave her a little cuddle just now and fed some parsley but she didn't want to go anywhere but back in the cage. I changed their bedding today so thought it was enough excitement for one evening. Will definitely be leaving some strategically placed grass out tomorrow and that'll probably shed her inhibitions! Good job on typing the fadas in their names BTW, sometimes even I forget.

It's great craic trying to explain their names to the vet, they usually just come out and ask for 'the *my last name* guinea pig please'. As an aside, for anyone interested Síoda is the Irish for silk and Nóinín is Irish for daisy. I'm such a sap but I just love my girls ?

Redders

Visit site
When you look at new enclosures, consider C and C grid system - you can make it to shape and size you want, I recommend to all house G Pigs.
you could also look at getting some pet remedy spray - calming for small animals, lots of their fave foods and forage items, and hides dotted around in front of their enclosure.
they just need to get used to their new surroundings, they are currently scouting it out. In time they will be back to normal :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
They hate change, and they've had 2 changes in quite quick succession.

It's hard not to worry about them but I think it is just time. When I used to take mine home with me monthly they settled really quickly, now my neighbour does them so they just come christmas week and I didn't see them for the duration!

Extra veggies and grass are probably the way forwards ;).

The 160 is fine :) I built a mezzanine for my ferplast set up and they seem to like it/use it lots.

stangs

Visit site
Thank you @stangs that all actually makes a lot of sense and not sure why I didn't think that. Arkle being a big confident boar was definitely the leader of the pack, and he was threeish by the time we got the girls (after we lost Attila). Because the girls grew up with them this is actually her first time being the leader of the pack. It's actually a lot of change in a short time for a piggy.

I gave her a little cuddle just now and fed some parsley but she didn't want to go anywhere but back in the cage. I changed their bedding today so thought it was enough excitement for one evening. Will definitely be leaving some strategically placed grass out tomorrow and that'll probably shed her inhibitions! Good job on typing the fadas in their names BTW, sometimes even I forget.

It's great craic trying to explain their names to the vet, they usually just come out and ask for 'the *my last name* guinea pig please'. As an aside, for anyone interested Síoda is the Irish for silk and Nóinín is Irish for daisy. I'm such a sap but I just love my girls ?
I studied Irish for a total of one hour back in the day (got side-tracked by Cornish, then by Welsh), but if there's one thing I remember from that hour, it's that fadas are important. They're really lovely names too. Síoda, in particular, rolls of the tongue much more nicely than the English equivalent does.

ArklePig

Visit site
Thank you for all your help! I will stop worrying and just keep bribing kindly in the hopes she puts her brave pants back on :)

scats

Visit site
When my boys arrived, they were absolutely traumatised and it took them a good few weeks to get accustomed to their new set up. They lived outside in the summer and got much braver and happier, then they moved into the house for winter and both went really backwards again and struggled to adjust to the noises and comings and goings. It took them probably a month or two to not leg it whenever I came in the room.