My horse ate a sandwich bag

Zoe_Simpson

New User
Visit site
This evening my mum went to put my horse to bed and just told me he ate a sandwich bag with apple slices in it :/ should i be worried and is there anything I can feed him to help it pass through?

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Yeah call the vet. Your horse is pretty stupid. Or your mum, I can't really decide who at the mo.

whiteflower

Visit site
I once found a whole Tesco's carrier bag in my horses poo that had obviously blow into the field and he had goodness knows how, eaten. It came out in a long wrapped up sausage shape in-between poo nuggets all intact. I couldn't believe it ! Whilst I would call vet for advice and monitor carefully things can go through them without issue just to put your mind a little more at ease !

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
Whiteflower beat me to it, but one of mine once passed a sandwich bag (full of horse feed). If I had known ahead of time he'd done that I would have called the vet for advice too, but he showed no sign of any problems before or after.

In some ways I'm surprised the daft git didn't eat it a second time.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I saw a horse almost choke on a plastic bag, it was horrible but managed to get it out of her mouth before it went down. The girl in the stable next door had left carrots in a plastic bag in her manger and the horse had lent over and grabbed the whole lot.

Widgeon

Visit site
Another one here with a tale of a pony who ate a Tesco bag and lived to tell the tale. He was anxiously monitored for a day or so and then out it all came, still intact. We were very relieved!

scats

Visit site
When I was really little, I hung a stocking up on Christmas Eve for my pony outside her stable and popped a few carrots in it, still in the little sandwhich bag my mum had put them in. I was positive she couldn’t reach it. Christmas morning arrived and I was horrified to find she had got hold of the stocking and eaten the carrots and quite possibly the bag aswell. I spent the day petrified that she was going to die on Christmas Day and it would all be my fault.
No idea if she did eat the bag as I never found it or any traces of it, but she was absolutely fine. I never made that mistake again though!

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Yeah call the vet. Your horse is pretty stupid. Or your mum, I can't really decide who at the mo.

Completely uncalled for tallyho.

Mine managed to steal 3 bags of apples a few months ago, how he managed to reach so far outside his door is unbelievable as I'd kept them there forever, hung up, completely out of reach.. or I thought! He got 12 apples out of 2 bags as they were left on the stable floor but must of eaten one bag, he was fine.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I saw a horse almost choke on a plastic bag, it was horrible but managed to get it out of her mouth before it went down. The girl in the stable next door had left carrots in a plastic bag in her manger and the horse had lent over and grabbed the whole lot.

I knew a pony, owned by a vet nurse, which developed choke, vet called, made repeated visits tried various treatments, a week after it started they realised that she had a plastic bag stuck. Everybody thought she must have found littter in her field. Bag removed and pony made a good recovery.