My horse ate a whole packet of Strong Mints in one go on Saturday night.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I friend of mine was feeding a carrot to her horse, he got a bit overenthusiastic and BIT HER FINGER OFF and swallowed it. Horse was fine, she on the other hand.....

OMG!

Did she have her hand flat? Or was she a bit too trusting and just held the carrot out?

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
I friend of mine was feeding a carrot to her horse, he got a bit overenthusiastic and BIT HER FINGER OFF and swallowed it. Horse was fine, she on the other hand.....

OMG! this nearly happened to a friend of mine, except she squealed out my name, and I came and rescued her by sticking my own fingers in his mouth... thinking now that was a bad idea.. didn't think that would happen!

btw - did you mean to make that pun? (sorry)

did she recover?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
OMG! this nearly happened to a friend of mine, except she squealed out my name, and I came and rescued her by sticking my own fingers in his mouth... thinking now that was a bad idea.. didn't think that would happen!

btw - did you mean to make that pun? (sorry)

did she recover?

Yes, the pun was intentional :). She never recovered her finger, if that's what you mean - gone is gone, but she was still riding the horse 10 years later. And she stopped feeding treats, so at least some good came of it....

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
A colleague also had his thumb bitten partly off. Horse was fine. Thumb tip was gone.

My old dog ate half a tin can. I had no idea, or she would have been at the vet pronto. The neighbour had left a can of dog food out for the bin men (BTW, they were actually men, no women!).

She had chewed the tin in half, it came out squashed. I took dog and tin to the vet, they could not find anything wrong with her, the other half of the tin was located. That was one close shave!

Fransurrey

Visit site
Not long after I bought him, I discovered my cob with a bit of baler twine hanging out his mouth. He'd reached into my hay storage and eaten it from the floor. I went to pull it out and discovered he'd swallowed the whole length. After a momentary panic, I gently worked it out, pulling slowly until I felt his throat contract, then releasing until he relaxed. I did get it out (about 70 cm worth), but have since been very careful where I chuck the twine when I cut open a bale!

Sprat

Visit site
My mare once ate an entire pack of polos, foil, paper wrapping and all. I kept on poo watch for a couple of hours but she seemed fine so didn’t worry. She’s still with me 3 years later so I wouldn’t panic too much.

My cat has eaten all sorts of rubbish and has survived, most recently paper straws. My animals are not the smartest.

Carrottom

Visit site
A funny tale from a vet friend - A client came in with their 2 dogs, a spaniel and a beagles who had between them destroyed and eaten an advent calendar full of expensive chocolate. So the vet gave them an injection each to make them vomit. The spaniel brought up lots of chocolate with little bits of foil type stuff they were wrapped in. The beagle brought up all the outer cardboard packaging.

Sprat

Visit site
My cat is currently trying to eat the artificial Christmas tree. She will eat anything. Her sister doesn't, she just sits and looks disapproving.

I'm yet to put up the christmas tree - I'm dreading it if I'm honest. The little bugger has been dive bombing it while it's sat in the box on the floor so god knows what he'll be like when it's up and full of shiny things

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I'm yet to put up the christmas tree - I'm dreading it if I'm honest. The little bugger has been dive bombing it while it's sat in the box on the floor so god knows what he'll be like when it's up and full of shiny things

Cats and Christmas trees don't mix when I had a cat years ago I would come home from work every night to find the Christmas tree laying on the floor with decorations everywhere.