My horse bit someone.. whay would you do?

EmmaB

Visit site
Unless the horse is a serial biter then I don't see much point in putting up a sign, surely the guy should know that any one of the horses on the yard are capable of biting!

And a horse won't usually bite with no warning. When I take my horse for a lesson at a riding school, I will sometimes have a walk around and stroke the horses in the stables, I don't know any of them but if they have their ears back when you go to put your hand by them then you back off! Its not hard.

Also I know a lot of people who exaggerate about biting. They will claim a horse has took a chunk out of them even if all its done is flap its lips at them with no teeth involved. I've only ever had a horse REALLY bite me once, evil little pony being led to the field!

BillyBob-Sleigh

Visit site
I'm going to go against the grain here. I would be absolutely mortified if my horse bit another livery!! As it was the livery's husband he may not know that much about horses and didn't understand the signals? As none of you were there you can't just say that the man walked right up to him ignoring all signals and serves him right etc etc. He may have just put his arm in for a pat when he got bitten. As for him "messing" with someone elses horse - I would not class a friendly "hello" as messing....

TheoryX1

Visit site
I'm going to go against the grain here. I would be absolutely mortified if my horse bit another livery!! As it was the livery's husband he may not know that much about horses and didn't understand the signals? As none of you were there you can't just say that the man walked right up to him ignoring all signals and serves him right etc etc. He may have just put his arm in for a pat when he got bitten. As for him "messing" with someone elses horse - I would not class a friendly "hello" as messing....

Ditto the above. I would not know where to put myself if one of mine bit somebody. Having had friends who have owned grumpy beggers, who put their ears back, pull faces and threaten, when they put their heads over their stable doors, its not very nice and although we all love our horses, we should all take some responsibility towards other people.

Oh dear, I forgot, I am in NL, am now running for cover to get my hard hat ........

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Right..lets look at it this way...............

what if the man had cuddled the horse giving the horse a fright and it banged and cut its head on the door frame of the stable....Im sure you lot who think the owner is in the wrong wouldnt feel the same in this instance. He had no right to be interfering. A horse who is known to bite when anone walks past should have a warning on the door- end of story. Just because a horse isnt a known biter doesnt mean that it WILL NOT bite. Animals can be unpredictable and anyone around them should excercise basic common sense.....unfortunalty common sense aint that common.

Last edited:

BillyBob-Sleigh

Visit site
Right..lets look at it this way...............

what if the man had cuddled the horse giving the horse a fright and it banged and cut its head on the door frame of the stable....Im sure you lot who think the owner is in the wrong wouldnt feel the same in this instance. He had no right to be interfering. A horse who is known to bite when anone walks past should have a warning on the door- end of story. Just because a horse isnt a known biter doesnt mean that it WILL NOT bite. Animals can be unpredictable and anyone around them should excercise basic common sense.....unfortunalty common sense aint that common.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think someone going to say hello to a horse is interfering?! I don't think anyone is at fault in this case, not the owner as she wasn't there and the livery's hubby, it was a genuine mistake with no ill intent. I would brush it off as water under the bridge and put a sign on the door if you don't want anyone else having contact with your horse.

Blanket

Visit site
I'd be more inclined to think it's the irresponsible owners that let it happen that give horses a bad name.

Rubbish. People are forever going on about how necessary it is for a horse to respect one's personal space.... WTF don't people extend the same courtesy to the horse?
Horses are HORSES. They react like HORSES when they feel threatened. Some are more sensitive than others. If someone I didn't know marched into my garden I'd be pretty hostile.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Personally I'd give the bloke the benefit of the doubt and just have an "educational" chat with him. My new horse is showing signs of being a bit of a biter. He is generally "mouthy" and pushes his luck. We're still getting to know each other and my usual "uh,uh" noise has the desired effect of making him back off (although he managed to stand on my foot today when warned about biting my coat).
However, my OH knows little about horses and has been used to my previous cuddly version so I am going to have to give him a good briefing when they meet about how to handle new ned and what to do if the teeth appear. It's not that OH is a numpty, just that his experience of horses has always been positive and he expects to be able to stroke a nose without being bitten.
I agree the bloke shouldn't have walloped the horse but sometimes people over-react when they are frightened and, if he doesn't know much about horses, he probably was.

indie999

Visit site
I think its no different to stroking a strange dog. "Stroker beware"

Horses can be dangerous in or out of stable. If a horse kicked out as someone who is ill informed does not realise the back end of a horse is not a good place if you dont know that animal.

I am not sure if the chap has complained but perhaps a notice should go up asking that people only deal with their own horses and leave other liveries alone.

I would be bloody furious if a stranger went up to a horse of mine and wallops it for biting.Some horses bite, some kick. He went for a cuddle.......what a plonker. It was his error and its not normal to go round cuddling random horses.

dont even feel guilty I hope it bit him damn hard. He wont cuddly wuddly it again will he? Arrogant , his ego sounds more damaged.

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
It's the wife's fault she is the horsey one and should have watched him as all non horsey men think they are an undiscovered horse whisperer with a natural talent. If he smacked my horse I would smack him;)

TrasaM

Visit site
It used to be possible to try animals in courts in France.. How about we do a horse trial?
Horse..you are here charged with wilfully biting a human and causing said human GBH .How do you plead ;) guilty or Not guilty.? :D

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
It used to be possible to try animals in courts in France.. How about we do a horse trial?
Horse..you are here charged with wilfully biting a human and causing said human GBH .How do you plead ;) guilty or Not guilty.? :D

OMG can you imagine the case for the defence that horses could put up??:eek: Yes M'lud but I was made to wear a pink spotted rug in a built up area , and further I would suggest that my owner made me wear a diamante brow band ... hee hee

Echo24

Visit site
I was chatting to someone who said their horse was friendly and said I could pat it and when I did, it bit my chest! They then said she normally bites but hadn't bitten anyone for six months, trust me to be the first! I am now very careful not to touch other people's horses that I don't know. I'd recommend putting up a sign like everyone else said - hopefully it will teach other people to leave your horse alone!

TrasaM

Visit site
OMG can you imagine the case for the defence that horses could put up??:eek: Yes M'lud but I was made to wear a pink spotted rug in a built up area , and further I would suggest that my owner made me wear a diamante brow band ... hee hee

:D not as funny as the case by the injured party . Well, your honour. I was walking past the stable when I saw this horse looking at me with it's ears back. It's teeth were bare so I smiled back at him and i rushed up to give it a big hug whereupon it sank it's teeth into my forearm.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Ditto the above. I would not know where to put myself if one of mine bit somebody. Having had friends who have owned grumpy beggers, who put their ears back, pull faces and threaten, when they put their heads over their stable doors, its not very nice and although we all love our horses, we should all take some responsibility towards other people.

Oh dear, I forgot, I am in NL, am now running for cover to get my hard hat ........

LOL @ the hard hat ;)

If one of mine bit someone I would be utterly astounded and there would be no doubt in my mind that they'd been dreadfully provoked. I wouldn't be terribly sympathetic to the bitten party, I'm afraid.
As an additional observation; People have been giving treats to LC in my absence and it made him a bit 'in your face'. He's a lot more polite now, but I don't think people realise just how easy it would be to make a horse nippy and rude.

Flowers187

Visit site
hahahaha mines bit loads of people I just laugh, they all know what shes like and to steer clear! Maybe put a sign on your door mentioning not to bother your horse if he's eating and not to feed treats , I used to have one on mine years ago when mine was the devil pony.

indie999

Visit site
I cant think of anything amusing but an amusing sign should go up for his benefit.

Cuddling not allowed.............

Without the owners permission.

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
Just make sure there is no danger of anyone getting bitten if they walk past your horse. This man may have been silly but then he went to bite you after. If a child gets bitten while walking past you may be liable as he has done it before. If you think there is any chance of this happening then fit a grill.
Notices outside the stable will be no defence as not everyone can read. If you know he will never do this then just tell the man to stay away

fidgeuk

Visit site
I hadn't realised this was still rumbling on :)

I've finally finished reading all the comments and there are some good ideas and some amusing solutions.

I had just given Jack his dinner tonight and was bolting the door when nice but dim appeared. We didn't speak but Jack took one look at him and disappeared to the back of his box! Obviously felt the need to put some distance between them both :( This is something i have mixed feelings over but decided to just go home rather than get stressed over... nothing?

I do wonder whether i have my horse at the right yard? I love the american barn style stable and always thought Jack would like to see his companions but perhaps it just winds him up more knowing they can see him when he is eating. Although his previous yard was wooden stable block and he behaved the same there.

I have decided to mention it to YO and discuss putting a sign on his door, they have been on holiday and didn't get back until today so will discuss as soon as i see them.

I am mortified that my horse bit someone. I think its dreadful and i do feel somewhat responsible hence i think the sign is a good idea. Prevention is better than cure and all that! But i do think he was more than 50% responsible in approaching a horse that is known to be possessive/aggressive over his food!

Its abit of a rubbish situation to find myself in but i'm going to try to improve my horses attitude, somehow! I was thinking maybe a holistic approach, if anyone has any ideas?

And thank you all for your comments and wonderful support

Have a latte and some mint chocolates

fidgeuk

Visit site
Just make sure there is no danger of anyone getting bitten if they walk past your horse. This man may have been silly but then he went to bite you after. If a child gets bitten while walking past you may be liable as he has done it before. If you think there is any chance of this happening then fit a grill.
Notices outside the stable will be no defence as not everyone can read. If you know he will never do this then just tell the man to stay away

I have bars on my stable that are used to prevent my horse scratching himself to death when he was affected by sweet itch this year (he's much better now) i could put them back up and keep him from putting his head over the stable door.. but is that really fair?

I always feel so mean when they are up in the summer :(

indie999

Visit site
You can smell the litigation lawyers /no win no fee and smell the health and safety. I dont think people should be allowed in at all if this is how its getting. I walk past a field of horses and I do stop to stroke them if the come up but I am fully aware any of them could be biters etc(one of them is a bit nippy). But then I consider myself more horse aware than this idiot. I think the yard owner needs to make sure the owners are aware that they are not to go near other peoples horses and supervise ANYONE that accompanies them.. Ridiculous.

We have a guy in our village who will complain about everyone elses pets except when his own does something wrong. Thats animals. Never say never.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think someone going to say hello to a horse is interfering?! I don't think anyone is at fault in this case, not the owner as she wasn't there and the livery's hubby, it was a genuine mistake with no ill intent. I would brush it off as water under the bridge and put a sign on the door if you don't want anyone else having contact with your horse.

Theres a world of difference between saying hello to and going straight up and giving a horse a cuddle. I might say hello to a strange dog but i certainly wouldnt cuddle it! ESPECIALLY when it was eating. Horses dont talk 'human' unfortunalty. As much as we value our horses as part of our family we still need to respect them as animals.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I have decided to mention it to YO and discuss putting a sign on his door, they have been on holiday and didn't get back until today so will discuss as soon as i see them.

I am mortified that my horse bit someone. I think its dreadful and i do feel somewhat responsible hence i think the sign is a good idea. Prevention is better than cure and all that! But i do think he was more than 50% responsible in approaching a horse that is known to be possessive/aggressive over his food!
I remember when LC was very little and utterly adorable, he was a proper little menace with his teeth. I put a notice on his headcollar saying "I BITE" and it didn't put a single person off from attempting to cuddle him. Needless to say some people just don't get it.