My horse fell out of his field on Wed...

Shadow the Reindeer

Visit site
I bought my horse a muzzle, it's not arrived yet.. I'm supposed to be going to a show on Sunday, i've also planned a long hack around a reservoir whilst i'm off next week.. So, my horse decides, no, he doesn't want to a- wear a muzzle, b- go to a show, or c- go on a 3 hour hack..

picture.php

Wed night, this 'little' guy, decided that the grass was greener on the other side, so he leaned on the fence, all 500KG of him.. so who won? He did, as the fence gave way sending him down a 5-6 ft slope and taking a wall out on his way..
picture.php

unbelievably, he only hurt his face, he sports a nasty bruise where the bit sits on his cheek, a scratch, and a cut on his eye lid, but narrowly missed his eye.
picture.php

picture.php

He walked away sound from this, one lucky horse. He's now back to his cheeky self, but just a little more clingy,and wary of the fence now.

Last edited:

DJ

Visit site
OMG Shads ya nutter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You must have been besides yourself hun ... he knows how to worry you and keep you on your toes doesn`t he :( .... are you ok ? **hugs**

Shadow the Reindeer

Visit site
Beginning to wonder whether to write off 2013, showing wise anyway.. he's got quite a bruise and swelling on his cheek, he's eating ok, i've put him on No-bute for a few days, when he did it, i put him on fast acting Volterol (sp).
I did a lameness workout as soon as I got home from work (happened half an hour before I left), and he's sound, just can't believe he's fell like that and not broke anything! :eek:
By the time I got to the yard I was shaking and feeling sick, just didn't know what i'd find in the stable. He clearly felt sorry for himself, kept asking for hugs and reassurance. I had to walk him to the school, and lunge him on both reins, but before doing that I checked if he could turn on a sixpence to see for anything obvious. Sound on that, sound in walk and trot, on both reins..
Unclipped his rope and he followed me to the gate, standing at the side of me, with a fore lorn look in his face. He was clearly shuck up from his ordeal.
I put witch hazel and arnica gel on his cuts and bruises, checked his eye, which was thankfully undamaged and put painkillers/anti-inflammatory in his feed.
He's now feeling considerably better, and it's now a waiting game to see how the swelling goes down over the next few days. It did look a little better today, but it's how I expected it to be.
I'm just thankful he's got off with just a few scratches and bruising..

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
"Fell out of his field", I didn't think horses were supposed to do that
s045.gif
, however, I'm not surprised over that if it had to happen, that it happened were it is "a 5-6 ft slope".
:eek: That was not a small fall! :eek: That was close to the eye!

Fingers crossed he heals quickly.
crossfingers.gif

Fransurrey

Visit site
My pony did similar, years ago. It was a wooden fence and he'd used it to climb to a tasty sweet chestnut tree. Neighbours apparently enthralled! However, gravity took hold and he was grounded on his belly before the second rail gave way and if slithered down the bank onto the lane. The neighbours sprung into action and he was caught about to go off on a jolly towards the A25. First I knew of all this was coming back after work to find them in a different field. Oblivion is wonderful!

indie999

Visit site
He doesnt look like he is starving and has the usual grass is always greener! Still he looks a nice boy and thankfully it wasnt worse ie broken leg etc. Those rocks look huge! What a silly boy.

Glad he is ok though and he looks really good looking lad. Good luck. I hear click click electric fence?

Shadow the Reindeer

Visit site
Thanks guys, he's a greedy horse, who's spent the last few days watching out for me coming to the yard in the evenings. As soon as I reach for the head collar and lead rope, then start walking up to the field, he's at the gate, waiting for me.
He loves people, and the attention that comes with us, but he always seems to say, they don't beat a good cuddle from his 'mum' :)
The YO suggested a morning net of hay, to which my reaction was it's not a hunger issue, it's a greed issue, it's like putting a fruit pie in front of a person with a bottomless pit of an appetite who adores food. If I give him two nets at night, he wastes loads, and puts it all over his bed, if I give him one, he eats more or less the lot, but has been leaving a little bit in the net, so I don't believe that will stop him.
I do believe he has learnt his lesson though, he seems to dislike the thought of tumbling out of the field again.

Last edited:

MudMudGloriousMud

Visit site
My Fell mare did the same...only the fence was only on a small gradient and she basically fell through 2 sets of barbed wire (not my choice!!) to get to the neighbours beautifully manicured lawn.... lacerations to her chest and neck and a couple of haematoma's later and she is still a pig, but respects fencing far more!

Hope your boy heals quickly Shadeyoak!

Mel x

doriangrey

Visit site
My mare does this every year when the grass starts growing (the adjacent field is juicy cattle grazing), despite having plenty to eat. This year she even had her head over the fence as they were cutting it for haylage! I have to electrify it when I spot her up to her tricks because she leans on the top wire and I'm petrified it will give way. I'm glad your boy is OK, poor fella but hopefully he's cured himself!