my horse has a clicky hock. does anyone know what this could be?

amy912

Visit site
hi. i have a 15.1 rising 5 year old mare i have had her for about 4 months and since i bought her i have taught her how to jump etc. we do quite a bit of work. and recently she has started clicking in her hock. she doesnt seem stiff/lame and it isnt swollen either. im wondering if it could be anythng serious or if anyone else has had the same experience with their horse.

Serenity087

Now would I be a Kentish lass, or a lass of Kent?
Visit site
Mine clicks too, has done for the entire time I've owned her (8 years!) and aside from some minor evidence of degenerative joint disorder in her hocks (like, really minor, no xrays were done!) she has no reason for it - a recent stifle xray showed them to be perfectly sound, with no boney changes.

Clicks are, I believe, just normal, same as some people click (i have clicky knees myself!)

amy912

Visit site
it doesnt seem to be coming to her stifle but i guess it could be. oh ok yes i just want to get some opinions because some people said it may be arthritis but then some say shes too young, so im getting very confused. i dont no what i would do if she got arthritis! i love going fast and jumping too much!! x

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
it doesnt seem to be coming to her stifle but i guess it could be. oh ok yes i just want to get some opinions because some people said it may be arthritis but then some say shes too young, so im getting very confused. i dont no what i would do if she got arthritis! i love going fast and jumping too much!! x

diamond has arthritis get her some flexi joint diamonds doesnt click any more and she still jumping at 23

http://www.equimins-online.com/cgi-...ijoint_Cartilage_Supplement_49.html#aP46#aP46

windsorblue

Visit site

Much as you enjoy going fast, and jumping....
please bear in mind she is only young, starting her education. Four months is not long - she (and you) will have lots left to learn. Don't rush her, and she will stay sound (and sane!) for years.

SpruceRI

Visit site
My pony has had clicky hocks off and on her whole life. She's 18yrs old now and we've never had any problems.... she may well do so later in life I suppose, but she's had 14yrs of competing absolutely fine, maybe clicky hocks aren't always something to worry about.

amy912

Visit site
i am taking it slow with her atm but i mean when iv finished with her i want to jump a little higher than current. yes iv been told by alot of people its something and nothing. she was owned by gypsys..and you know what there like when they do trotting races! so maybe it might have had something to do with that? along with me bringing her on from a happy hacking home? my main worry is that its arthritis :/ x

Event rider

Visit site
My pony that we bred had a clicky hock,the vet thought it had something to do with the ligaments but wasnt worried.10years later,still clicking,never been lame,no swelling,has evented and working med dressage.Doesnt make any noise on hard going.:)

Angwh19

New User
Visit site
Hi

The only way to find out is to ask a vet or a qualified equine physiotherapist- if you've had your vet out recently it can be worth phoning them to ask their advice- if they're good vets you should get some free advice or they will say they need to come see your horse to diagnose better :)

Once you know what it is you can then decide what to do for the best :)

Arthritis is surprisingly common in young horses (especially gypsy cobs and ex-racehorses I know of a 6 year old hardly raced who has arthritis in her hock) and it isn't the diagnosis it used to be!! Especially with the advances in medical science for equines.... :)

Good luck :)

Andrea :)

amy912

Visit site
yes i have tryed the vets but they tell me not to worry if theres no sweeling or pain. but im still worrying it could get worse but by the looks of things some of you have horses with clicky hocks and can still do everyday things in comfort :)

Angwh19

New User
Visit site
Aw well that won't stop you worrying!! I used to ride a 16h Connemara x Arab he had arthritis in one hock and he went like a steam train!! and his owners didn't have it treated!! When I had him on loan aged 20 I put him on cod liver oil and cider vinegar and noticed a difference in him immediately!! Shame I can't post pics yet as have a gorgeous one of him at a show!! :D

Andrea :)

Janah

Visit site
I bought my boy at 10 years of age, clicking hock. Clicks most of the time. He is now 20 years old and never lame still clicks never a problem.

Jane