my horse is an utter twat, and its made me feel upset and hopeless....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubblensqueak

Visit site
my horse has become the biggest twat i think he possibly could be, on the ground. its got to the point where i am nervous to be around him, and i feel limited with what i can do with him. today i ha him tied up on the yard on his own, which he never makes any fuss about (one of his only good qualities actually, that he doesn't mind being alone in the barn, the filed is another matter but we wont talk about that...) but today his friend was a bit upset to see him go, and was cantering around the field, bare in mind my horse couldn't see or hear him once he was in, so i expected him to be fine, i also expected the other horse to chill quite quickly, because all the other horses were still out. but as soon as i tied him up he started pawing, calling, spinning, and frantically shaking his head, i tried to calm him down but it was no use, i became quite concerned he might snap the bailing twine, hes a big boy and its happened many times before, but i was reluctant to put him in his stable because his bed wasn't down, and i was very worried he might try to jump the door. so i held onto him and shortly another livery brought their pony in who was also unsettled, and mine calmed down enough for me to get his rug off and attempt to give him a groom, this pony then went off to the school and sent my horse into a frenzy. i really wasn't sure what to do, as putting him back out really wasn't an option because had i untied him he would have ran off which could have hurt him, as it is a long way to the field. finally my boys friend was brought in and i was relieved because it meant my horse wasn't going to get loose, after me wrestling him, and hearing the bailing twine begin to snap. he was just having his feet washed at the other end of the ban when my horse absolutely lost it and ploughed like a bull right past me, i grabbed the rope and tried to stop him but it just wasn't going to happen. this isnt the first time this has happened and i feel hopeless and honestly quite scared of him doing this again, because if there hadnt been people there to catch him i would have lost him into the fields. its made me feel really upset and deflated, as well as nervous around him, and i will admit i had a little cry about it. hes on various calmers but nothing seems to work, and at 13, i dont know if he will ever grow out of it/learn. hes also never had separation anxiety in the stable, although doesnt like being left out on his own, so its a new problem. sorry for the rant but any help would be great.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Definitely stop all hard feed! What are you feeding him currently? There are a number of feeds that many horses react badly to and it is more than possible that your horse is reacting to something that he is eating. Horses can react to any kind of food but alfalfa, linseed, soya and any Top Spec feed all seem to be very common irritants. I have also had more than one horse react to NAFF products and carrots.

Julie Ole Girl

Visit site
In my case I think its to do with the weather, just going by mare. She doesn't want to be touched, ridden or groomed even. I can just about put her rug on when normally she's as good as gold. As far as she is concerned, its winter holidays, stable, food, field, stable, food end of. I too her to the field first the other day, leaving the miniature walking slower behind, only a few hundred yards and she went beserk without mini! I'm just stepping back to be honest.

Visit site
You need to get a good trainer to help you, to show you how to do groundwork and handle him. I will go easy as you are 16yrs old, however, your horse isn’t being a ****, he’s being a HORSE! reacting to a situation which he can’t cope in, he’s clearly struggling with separation anxiety and your own anxiety will be a factor as he isn’t feeling safe with you.

You need to look at it from your horse’s point of view and ask what is causing him to be distressed and get a trainer to help you.

webble

Visit site
Get an instructor involved but also do lots and lots of ground work exercises.

It can take me 10 mins to walk the 2 mins from the field sometimes because we stop and stand, we back up, we move over, we do lots of things that instill discipline and keep his focus on me and doing what I am asking

That said its not an easy time of year and even the sanest of horses have their moments

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Was this just a today thing? Some of your post makes it sound a one off and other bits don’t. If it was out of the ordinary I’d try not to worry too much. Horses just sometimes have Wally days ?‍♀️ Annoying but not the end of the world, you say he usually comes in and ties up ok so maybe something had just wound them up in the field.
You do sound nervous though and that’s ok, they are big animals and if this is not a one off day I’d agree with the above. Get yourself a bit of help, it’s amazing how just having a friendly pair of eyes as back up can really help. :)

bubblensqueak

Visit site
Was this just a today thing? Some of your post makes it sound a one off and other bits don’t. If it was out of the ordinary I’d try not to worry too much. Horses just sometimes have Wally days ?‍♀️ Annoying but not the end of the world, you say he usually comes in and ties up ok so maybe something had just wound them up in the field.
You do sound nervous though and that’s ok, they are big animals and if this is not a one off day I’d agree with the above. Get yourself a bit of help, it’s amazing how just having a friendly pair of eyes as back up can really help. :)
its the first time hes reacted like this to being on his own tied up, however he has been known to snap bailing twine to get loose, but for various other things, not this, so this is kind of a new thing, but not entirely

Henry02

Visit site
its the first time hes reacted like this to being on his own tied up, however he has been known to snap bailing twine to get loose, but for various other things, not this, so this is kind of a new thing, but not entirely

get yourself either a blocker tie ring or an idolo tie ring.

Are you in the USA? If so the first is easily available over there

bubblensqueak

Visit site
I suspect he's reacting to your anxiety too. As above, review what you're feeding, keep it simple.
hes on a pretty simple feed, a scoop of chaff, i think its dodson and horrel safe and sound and half a scoop of nuts,which he has been on for a very long time, i think the issue is his supplements which have been changing up a bit recently, trying to find something that works

bubblensqueak

Visit site
the plan is to get him working hard again, the issue is hes only coming back from almost all year off, he started hacking again in october, but with the weather its too wet to hack, and our school is not entirely finished, so its half the size it will be when its done, so i worry about his legs working for a long period of time on such a small circle, its the equivalent of lunging, which i personally would only do for about 20 mins due to the strain on the legs. so everything is working against us

bubblensqueak

Visit site
Get an instructor involved but also do lots and lots of ground work exercises.

It can take me 10 mins to walk the 2 mins from the field sometimes because we stop and stand, we back up, we move over, we do lots of things that instill discipline and keep his focus on me and doing what I am asking

That said its not an easy time of year and even the sanest of horses have their moments
what sort of exercises could i do? in general, and when hes behaving like this.

windand rain

Visit site
Stopping backing up standing in his own space moving forward then backing up so he doesnt know what you will ask next make him think. I use a rope halter fitted to move over his nose but get someone to show you how to fit it and use it you must keep the same amount of pressure if he is being a div but make sure you are quick to release it when he behaves it is all in timing and moving with him he runs back you move with him so the halter stays the same tension he stops you loosen it and let him think. Please get someone to show you how as timing is key

Suncat

Visit site
Another vote here for an Idolo tie ring for the short term, and groundwork lessons to give you the tools to build relationship, respect and good behavior.
Good luck, with a bit of work and the right help you can do this ?

BBP

Visit site
Just try to keep in mind that he isn’t doing any of it to upset you or to make you feel bad. He’s doing it because he is upset. Take a moment to look at it from his perspective. Right now you don’t understand why he acted that way, but you don’t know what else has happened in his day that increased his stress levels until that point when he boiled over. I know that doesn’t give you tools as to how to deal with it, but whilst your mindset is that he’s just being a tw*t, you aren’t going to be in the right mental state to deal with him appropriately anyway. Take a breath, imagine how he is feeling, and you’ll get some good practical advice here I’m sure.

HashRouge

Visit site
Some good suggestions here, but I would also try cutting out all hard feed (including supplements) for a week and see if that makes any difference to his behaviour. Make sure he is getting plenty of hay in the stable instead and have a net waiting for him when you bring him in.

ETA as others have said, he is not doing this to be deliberately annoying. He was obviously wound up for whatever reason (at this time of year, fireworks are always a possibility, even earlier in the day) and this was causing his behaviour. Big, bolshy horses can be tricky when they get in a tizz as they do tend to just bowl over anyone/ anything that gets in the way! However, if you have been having trouble with him while tied up on the yard I would try to avoid having him tied up for prolonged periods of time. Don't bring him in until his stable is completely ready, as then you can put him straight in rather than tying up. Or if you are riding, don't bother too much about brushing beforehand - tack up, get on and go and see if he is calmer and easier after he has done some exercise. I have to say at this time of year my share horse only gets a brush on certain days as he can be a bit "wired" on the yard on his own. Sometimes I just get him in, his owner holds him while I get the saddle on, and then we go straight away, as there is no point trying to faff round with him when he's in a tizz. He is always much calmer when we get back - worth seeing if your boy is the same. Sometimes you need to pick your battles with horses!

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
hes on a pretty simple feed, a scoop of chaff, i think its dodson and horrel safe and sound and half a scoop of nuts,which he has been on for a very long time, i think the issue is his supplements which have been changing up a bit recently, trying to find something that works

Sometimes, a horse can react to even the simplest of feeds. That reaction can be very small at first, so that the owner doesn't notice and gradually builds up unnoticed until the horse can't contain itself because the physical reaction has built up. Many nuts contain molasses which is not good for many horses at all.
I have just checked, S&S contains molasses and garlic, neither of which I would give to a horse. This could well be the root of your problems. Wheatfeed is just the sweepings up after the main part of the wheat has been used for something else, so I wouldn't give that , or oatfeed, which is similar, either.

Littlebear

Visit site

Tie him in the stable and work around him. I genuinely cant recall a time in the last few years i have tied a horse on a yard, just not necessary and causes all sorts of problems. Unless you are there for shoeing, stood grooming or whatever don't leave him tied outside where he could get loose and cause himself or others issues.

Leandy

Visit site
He is not a twat, he is a horse you are having difficulty with. He is doing what he does for good horsy reasons of his own, just because you don't understand what those are does not make him a twat. It seems you are not reading his reasons well nor finding satisfactory solutions to them. I think you need to spend more time thinking from the horsy perspective and less from yours. Both as to the causes for his behaviour and the solutions to it. For example you are assuming he can no longer hear his friend outside when he is in. How do you know this? He may well have better hearing than you. Incidentally, good, clear, firm, confident handling will help greatly or even solve the issue, whatever the reasons for it. I'd get a good instructor to help you acquire that knowledge. If he is getting worse you are not getting this right. If you are nervous around him, he will be the same around you.

bubblensqueak

Visit site
thank you everyone for the suggestions. so its likely i will be the first to bring in today, because i want (and need) to ride, so he will be the only horse in. how should i deal with his behaviour, because he might react the same way again. do i put him in his stable, even though he might try and jump out? tie him in the stable(he can break the bailing twine so still wont be secure), with a haynet (which i doubt he will touch)and chuck tack on and go as quickly as possible?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My advice is to stop riding until he has had a few days off the feed. *Set him up to succeed*. If he has been out in the field he does not *need* to be ridden until you have sorted out his feed, which I can almost guarantee is at the bottom of this behaviour. His behaviour is then being exacerbated by your handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.