My horse is really starting to scare me !!!!

CaitlinCal

Visit site
Recently when we go out for hacks my horse has started to nap. At the begin he would just try to turn around but now he has started to rear and buck and has even tried to slam me into a metal gate! I have had his teeth, back and hooves checked, and he doesn't seem to be in any pain. I have also tried clicker training (which was great at getting him to load) but has had no effect on him. Friends that hack out with me say that he doesn't look frightened either, he's just being plain stubborn!! Please can I get some advice to help me stop him napping! It's really starting to scare me and don't want me or Cal to get really hurt.

LittleMouse

Visit site
sorry about that :( im afraid i dont really know what to suggest but i just wanted to ask:
does he do it when he hacks out with other horses? or when he goes anywhere alone? (like a show or something)
because ive heard of lot of horses napping when theyre on their own. could it be some sort of seperation issue?
again, sorry for the lack of help :(
Good Luck! xxx
Becky.

Temptation

Visit site
Go in company for a while , take a good beater and ride like you really mean it. Once he relises your boss again hell give up.
Hope this helps
:)

LittleMouse

Visit site
aaahh spurs and force make me cringe hehe (sorry a bit of a natural horsemaship junky hehehe)
try it if you want though...i wont judge LOL. :)
i second the in company thing
and also walking out in hand? could get him used to it without you in danger and scared?? )you may want to do some ground work in a field/school first though to get him used to it). it would also give you a chance to really watch him from the ground (facial expressions etc. to try and figure out WHY)
sorry for reposting :) xx
Becky xxxxx

Miss L Toe

Visit site
(sorry a bit of a natural horsemaship junky hehehe)
Becky xxxxx
That is the problem:little_ mouse is a "wee courin timrous beastie" [Robert Burns].
You need to "man up" take no prisoners, let him know you are the boss, a good "welly in the belly" sorts most of them.
You decide where you are going, and at what pace.
Best to stick with friends, or get a friend to ride him for you, if not get lessons, but no more fluffy bunny huggin for him!
Don't try to figure him out, it won't work, get him going forward off the leg, on the aid, on the mark.

Fox07

Visit site
get tough or get rid... I tried for years to get my old mare to hack out alone, I wasnt tough enough with her (its not in my nature to be like that) I got a stronger rider who took no rubbish and they hacked her out alone but I never managed it so sold her to someone who could, incredibly frustrating and annoying

rafty

Visit site
I know how you feel. I bought a new mare a couple of months ago as bombproof to share with my kids. I know she needs time to settle in and she is getting better in hand and is much calmer when being brushed etc. However, now she naps like mad!! Whereas before I could hack her out alone. I don;t know why it started, but its driving me nuts!!! It seems to be when she sees someone in the distance when she is at her worst and then we will reverse into whatever is there and buck and spin. I am really trying to work through it. Yesterday just taking her down the lane to cool down, she reversed into a ditch with cars coming! I had to really give her a sharp smack with the riding crop to get back out the ditch and ride on. No fun though, and now I don't look forward to hacking her out! She is fine in company though, even leading. I think it is a seperation and trust issue.

Tomorrow I am hacking her over to my house for the summer. This includes passing a big bridge where she freaked out before, then a farm and then a main road!! Not looking forward to it. But have decided before hand to walk in hand in the places I know she will be worst, before she starts to nap.

Sorry no help, just a I know how you feel rant:(

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I know how you feel. I bought a new mare a couple of months ago as bombproof to share with my kids. I know she needs time to settle in and she is getting better in hand and is much calmer when being brushed etc. However, now she naps like mad!! Whereas before I could hack her out alone. I don;t know why it started, but its driving me nuts!!! It seems to be when she sees someone in the distance when she is at her worst and then we will reverse into whatever is there and buck and spin. I am really trying to work through it. Yesterday just taking her down the lane to cool down, she reversed into a ditch with cars coming! I had to really give her a sharp smack with the riding crop to get back out the ditch and ride on. No fun though, and now I don't look forward to hacking her out! She is fine in company though, even leading. I think it is a seperation and trust issue.

Tomorrow I am hacking her over to my house for the summer. This includes passing a big bridge where she freaked out before, then a farm and then a main road!! Not looking forward to it. But have decided before hand to walk in hand in the places I know she will be worst, before she starts to nap.

Sorry no help, just a I know how you feel rant:(
It is usually a confidence issue, I can take my boy anywhere bareback because I know I have to "ride him". I have taken him in the sea, over bridges, up hill and down dale, because I know he absolutely must be going forwards, I can also feel any type of "backwards thinking", there is no hesitation, it all must happen immediately I ask.... I have had issues with him in all the above places when riding with saddle, maybe it gives me a false sense of security, or it causes a delay in my aid, in response to his napping. Whatever the reason, he can "go forwards" when I am determined.

skint1

Visit site
Our mare was the same and my daughter and I just weren't the right mix to get the best from her, though she did get her to hack out alone with a lot of determination. She was completely herd bound soon after we got her so if I recall right, she started just by bringing her into the yard alone for a groom and feed, going short distances on foot, then long lining, then with tack on, finally riding her, though there were still moments where she flew into reverse. It was was a constant battle for them. I think she's found someone now who is strong enough to gain her respect and confidence and I hope she'll flourish. So, that would be my advice to you, no one is saying you have to beat the horse to death or be cruel, you just need to find an approach so the horse understands that you're confident and in control

Last edited:

Ibblebibble

Visit site
That is the problem:little_ mouse is a "wee courin timrous beastie" [Robert Burns].
You need to "man up" take no prisoners, let him know you are the boss, a good "welly in the belly" sorts most of them.
You decide where you are going, and at what pace.
Best to stick with friends, or get a friend to ride him for you, if not get lessons, but no more fluffy bunny huggin for him!
Don't try to figure him out, it won't work, get him going forward off the leg, on the aid, on the mark.

littlemouse didn't ask the original question, caitlincal did and hasn't mentioned anything about being fluffy or hugging bunnies!

majors

Visit site
As Long as you are sure his back and saddle are fine either you or a strong rider boot him thought it. Take it from someone who fought a nappy horse for years. Tried everything back, understanding leading, ground work. The only thing that worked with clever ginger horse was a B***** good slap and boot. He never napped with proffessional riders as he couldn't scare them by rearing. Be stong they sense a moments hesitation. Also dont be afraid to get help or sell if it gets too much, I found a fab home for mine with a Man who loves his quirks. good luck be safe:)

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
My mare used to do this, when I had her in the UK she would nap if I tried to hack her out alone, small rears and bucks, I was not that confident on the roads, due to being by a lorry with my last horse resulting it being PTS (before then I was fine, and would ride anything) so if she napped on the road and a car came along I would really worry, so only hacked in company.

then we moved to Spain, and to a place where I kept them at home on their own..

so on our first hack alone, I wore spurs and took a crop... first sign or napping, she got a good boot, a smack on the butt and told to 'get on' she tried it on, so she got another, I had no traffic to worry about as I was in the countryside ... well it soon worked, as soon as she realised I meant business she did as asked, she still has her moments, if there is something strange I want her to go past, but now she listens to me, and can ride her past something with no legs and just my voice...

get tough, dont namby pamber her, let her know your in charge.. only took my mare a couple of hacks to know that napping would not be tolerated.

mcnaughty

Visit site
I'm with the others - get tough and get angry - the angry normally helps me gain the level of adrenaline to get tough! I found a long schooling whip better than a short jumping crop as you don't have to take your hands off the reins to wap them! Kick, wallop, growl - just get it in your mind that if you don't sort this out now it WILL probably get worse and dangerous so act now before that happens!

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Recently when we go out for hacks my horse has started to nap. - When did he start this?

At the begin he would just try to turn around but now he has started to rear and buck and has even tried to slam me into a metal gate! - Again when did he start (how long had you had him before this started) & does he do it in company? What is he like to long rein, the same?

I have had his teeth, back and hooves checked, and he doesn't seem to be in any pain.

- He could have muscel damage a blood test would show that. It is possible for all these checks to be done & still they are in pain, ie Kissing spine or the saddle does not fit as well as it did. Not all horses are tolerant to an ill fitting saddle. But just like you can start off ok with a new pair of shoes after a while you have to take them off. His saddle could be like this, its starts off ok, but part way into the hack it starts to cause enough discomfort that he has had enough.

Friends that hack out with me say that he doesn't look frightened either, he's just being plain stubborn!! -

Ok so he is doing it in company. You need to ensure that you have eliminated any pain or discomfort & then you will need to get tough. There are different methods for treating rearing. One is as soon as you feel him hesitate turn him tight & kick him forwards. Bucking, keep his head up & kick him forward. Napping is backward thinking you need to get him moving. If he plants himself rock him, alternate the left & right (as if you are turning) then kick on forwards. If you do not feel confident on him then get someone who is. If he does it while long reining then chances are he is testing your leadership. You need to get someone to work with you as you at some point will have to go it alone, or sell him. Good luck

bunnereeny

Visit site
Sounds like he's taking the p*s I del with alot of horses like this you need to get tough quickly the longer it goes on worse it'll get.

Has anything changed recently like diet etc?
Has his attitude towards you changed on ground?
Does he have a particular spot out hacking that he does this?
Has this behaviour come on over the summer and did you have same horse is same area last summer?

Warmblood3

Visit site
Hi, I have a mare who is very similar, lovely to ride at home, but very nappy out hacking, and I know how scary and frustrating this can be!

How is your horse kept? stabled? turn out with company?
If this is the case, then he might have separation anxiety - if he hacks out better with other horses, then this is the most likely problem.
You've done right by getting all the checks done, and now you know that your boy is not in pain, I would agree with other posts, and start being stronger with him so he will not be as naughty with you.

Although I do not think violence or aggression is a good idea, as it will most likely make the problem worse, carry a whip and use it when you feel you need to - accompained by a strong voice and leg aids.
Once your boy has realised he cannot get away with his bad behaviour, it should cease or as least get better :)

moorman

Visit site
First I would look at diet.
Horses that contain too much quick response energy are going to try and burn it up somehow.
The finer the horse the more likely it is going to be shown in temperament
Worth looking into whether the diet contains enough magnesium.
As for training. I use ‘Littler learning’ (right hand side of the home page on web site below)

Simbacat

Visit site
Hi I've had lots of great advice on the forum for my issues hacking out with my mare - who can be very nervous of all those scary things - leaves etc and can spin round - just like everyone says riding positively helps - I've just come back from a much better ride today :D I find that trotting on stops her having so much time to think, gets nervous and spin (as she can at walk) - so that might helps as well. Confronted some alpacas today - just a little spin and snort!

Barleyboo

Visit site
Sounds just like my old pony when I first got him, he had all the tricks, rearing, spinning, pushing me against barbed wire... You do have to be determined as others have said, but if you think that the 'getting angry' approach will just result in riling him up more and make you scared, you could try the 'boring him into submission' method instead! Works quite well on the chronically stubborn but you do need time and patience. Basically, when he starts playing you up and refusing to go forwards, don't get into a fight and don't let him go backwards, just make him stand still until he gets bored then quietly ask him to walk on. It used to work a treat on mine, he would literally give an enormous sigh and then walk on as good as gold! Eventually he realised he was having no fun at all and gave up being nappy altogether.

LittleMouse

Visit site
sorry for re-re-postig :p
i just want to clarify im not against showing the horse your boss at all :)
obviously it needs to see you as a leader. so stay firm..but please dont get angry and unnecesarily aggresive :(
about the whole ground work thing....that will also help him begin to see you as a leader and listen to you more.
as previously mentioned..hes just taking the p*ss!! :p xx

CaitlinCal

Visit site
amymay - here are some answers to your questions

I have had him for 1yr and 4 months

he's 16

he is hesitant in company and refuses to go at the front

hope that helps:)

eriskaydales

Visit site
I've seen some amazing battles when dealing with nappy horses from the youngster who decides that this is the day they are going to call the shots to the pony who suddenly realises they are in control. Different tactics used for character of horse, you dont want to hit an insecure horse but then you dont want to gently gently a stubborn horse. One example i remeber was a 12.2 pony who started napping with her young rider, so mum jumped on, he would not move, so she held on to his mane, gave him a pony club kick, (no offence meant to pony club members) and the same time i cracked the lunge whip behind him. He shot into the school like a bullet from a gun, and never napped again. Theres no shame in getting a professional down if its too much for you too cope with, but make sure there not just going to beat the whatnot out of them. Have someone walk with you, amazing how much more courageous you feel, and gradually get them to drop back. Mine went through a nappy stage when he was 5ish i never walked anywhere, we went at a spanking trot, (he would rear then buck and just for effect put in a spin). If i had touched him with a whip he would have flipped, so would get my daughter to crack the lunge whip behind him, oh, and i used to sing as it made me breathe properly, i must have looked a right nuttter lol

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
CC - would you describe your horse as nervous, backward thinking, spooky/reactive or naughty?

What sets the napping off? For example does he nap at places where you sometimes turn round on the ride, does he nap if you have something scary ahead or something else?