My horse suddenly won’t let me mount her

Maciet

New User
Visit site
When I first got my mare she was so so good and would stand by the mounting block to be mounted perfectly but wasn’t keen on me getting on without it. Now all of a sudden she drags me straight past the mounting block and round in circles, she moves away from it when I bring it to her, takes me ages and loads of circles until I can quickly jump on.
she refuses to stand anywhere near it what can I do ?
I wasn’t sure whether there was something bothering her and she didn’t want to be ridden but she’s had the teeth checked, now making me think she’s just trying to get out of work ?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Wrong part of the forum, you'll get more answers if you ask admin to move it to tack room or copy and post again.

Jazz_Equestrian

New User
Visit site
This is the wrong part of the forum but don't worry I will still try and help lol. Have you got her back checked or maybe something in that area is spooky / she doesn't like or she could be being a sassy :D

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
No your mare is not, I would suggest, "trying to get out of work". She's not being naughty, she's "telling" you something, loud and clear, and that is that she is in pain!!

My project-mare did exactly this just after I'd bought her and brought her home, and tried to mount her for the first time. She moved away from the mounting block and just would not be mounted, end of!

I got the vet just to check teeth etc (as OP you have quite rightly done); but then I got my McTimoney chiropractor out to have a look, who found quite a significant sacroiliac problem with the mare. After treatment, we rested her, and then looked at her again, and after another treatment we tried very light ridden work. She was fine!

Also have a look at your saddle as it could be pinching and/or uncomfortable.

There WILL be a pain issue involved in this; please take your horse seriously as they're telling you something loud and clear, and if you ignore it you may then find you have a more serious issue to deal with like rearing, bucking, or bolting. Purely because of pain.

PSD

Visit site
Definitely have her back and tack checked. Then I would have her scoped for ulcers, do you feed her before riding?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would go for the saddle check, and if it is bad then a physio and time out to repair the damage.

Mine once started to be shy to be caught, unheard of. It was the saddle. As soon as that was fixed, she was good to catch again. And people say horses don't plan! :p

To me, it wasn't even that bad!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My Draft mare did exactly the same when she had lost weight (planned for her health) and the saddle no longer fitted correctly. I luckily had several saddles of approximately the right size in the tackroom and she said that one fitted.:)

Have a good look yourself at the saddle, you might be able to see the problem, then you need to get someone to rectify it, or you may need someone to find the problem for you. You might need a physio to help the mare as well.

J&S

Visit site
Well mannered, well schooled horse I ride began to be shifty at the block, also felt a bit hunched when I first got on, then settled ok. I mentioned it to owner but she suggested he was just "arranging" himself. a while later I lifted the saddle off his back and I heard a slight cracking/creaky noise. In fact the tree had broken and he could feel if before I (or owner) could hear it. Once mended he is solid as a rock. Your horse may be aware of something array in the saddle.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
If you are starting to have to launch yourself at her to get on rather than getting on quietly that is likely to make the problem worse.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
No your mare is not, I would suggest, "trying to get out of work". She's not being naughty, she's "telling" you something, loud and clear, and that is that she is in pain!!

My project-mare did exactly this just after I'd bought her and brought her home, and tried to mount her for the first time. She moved away from the mounting block and just would not be mounted, end of!

I got the vet just to check teeth etc (as OP you have quite rightly done); but then I got my McTimoney chiropractor out to have a look, who found quite a significant sacroiliac problem with the mare. After treatment, we rested her, and then looked at her again, and after another treatment we tried very light ridden work. She was fine!

Also have a look at your saddle as it could be pinching and/or uncomfortable.

There WILL be a pain issue involved in this; please take your horse seriously as they're telling you something loud and clear, and if you ignore it you may then find you have a more serious issue to deal with like rearing, bucking, or bolting. Purely because of pain.

Absolutely this ^^^
Your horse is telling you that she is in pain - now you need to work out what the problem is.

18hhOlls&Me

Visit site
When I first got my mare she was so so good and would stand by the mounting block to be mounted perfectly but wasn’t keen on me getting on without it. Now all of a sudden she drags me straight past the mounting block and round in circles, she moves away from it when I bring it to her, takes me ages and loads of circles until I can quickly jump on.
she refuses to stand anywhere near it what can I do ?
I wasn’t sure whether there was something bothering her and she didn’t want to be ridden but she’s had the teeth checked, now making me think she’s just trying to get out of work ?
I agree with several of the other replies, it’s unlikely the mounting block but when you are actually getting into the saddle she is likely experiencing pain. Get the vet, physio etc out if you haven’t already. It could be something quite simple so try not to panic. She may be tight through her back, or she has changed shape and the saddle no longer fits or needs to be replaced. Have you tried mounting her with a leg up and seeing how she reacts? If she backs away then you know it’s a physiological problem. I’m sure you will get to the bottom of it. Having said all this, try moving the block somewhere where she doesn’t feel trapped in say against a wall to somewhere where she can be brought in front of it with plenty of space. Some horses can develop fears of enclosed spaces. Still I would say see a vet x