My horse tanks off after fences!

MyDappledConnemara

Visit site
Could you help?

My seven year old Connemara trots sweetly up to fences and then in the last few strides tanks off. It is so difficult to stop him when he does this! He mainly does it when he is jumping towards the gate. He is currently in a loose ring snaffle with a french link and a cavesson noseband, but he hates pressure on his mouth and he is extremely sensitive. I would really appreciate help as I want to compete this year!

Thanks

be positive

Visit site
It sounds as if he may be rushing the last few strides if he feels underpowered in the trot, the trot needs to be strong enough that he can push over the fence without struggling, not all horses are happy to trot all the way into a jump, although ideally they should be able to, for some it is just a bit tricky if they lack spring, confidence or the rider does not give them enough freedom to get over, they then tend to rush, flatten and land still running away which can end up with the rider fighting to slow down afterwards but also restricting even more coming into the fence.

I would be using grids to help build up his experience, confidence and help with stride patterns, using a placing pole on the way in so he learns to pop over that then jump the fence out of that springy stride, by building up to having several correctly placed fences in a row he will start to think rather than rush off on landing, it will allow you to give him freedom in the air and should start to build you up towards jumping a course.
Mine rarely jump individual fences at home, we do loads of polework, gridwork and they are fine when they start competing as they have built up the confidence they need to jump round small courses where riding smoothly on a rhythm and even length stride will usually mean you can just jump out of your stride with no real need to look for a stride, by the time they need to be more able to shorten or lengthen for jumping bigger tracks they will have built up the education required.

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
It sounds as if he may be rushing the last few strides if he feels underpowered in the trot, the trot needs to be strong enough that he can push over the fence without struggling, not all horses are happy to trot all the way into a jump, although ideally they should be able to, for some it is just a bit tricky if they lack spring, confidence or the rider does not give them enough freedom to get over, they then tend to rush, flatten and land still running away which can end up with the rider fighting to slow down afterwards but also restricting even more coming into the fence.

I would be using grids to help build up his experience, confidence and help with stride patterns, using a placing pole on the way in so he learns to pop over that then jump the fence out of that springy stride, by building up to having several correctly placed fences in a row he will start to think rather than rush off on landing, it will allow you to give him freedom in the air and should start to build you up towards jumping a course.
Mine rarely jump individual fences at home, we do loads of polework, gridwork and they are fine when they start competing as they have built up the confidence they need to jump round small courses where riding smoothly on a rhythm and even length stride will usually mean you can just jump out of your stride with no real need to look for a stride, by the time they need to be more able to shorten or lengthen for jumping bigger tracks they will have built up the education required.

As above but also what happens to your position before, over and after the fence. Some horses can really react to your upper body movement and changes in your contact. It could be worth getting someone to video to see what you are doing. If you are suddenly dropping the contact or your shoulders come forward slightly a few strides out this can cause a reaction. Are you over folding over the fence and pushing your center of balance too far forward (or back)? Also how are you landing? All things that are worth looking at.