My horse was right!

hairycob

Visit site
We are blessed with a fantastic network of bridleways & as horse has spent half his time at this yard being rehabbed there are areas we haven't explored. Sunday I decided to go to an area I don't know at all to practice my map reading.
So we were out in a very isolated area, all arable fields & horse decided there was something ahead he wasn't keen on. Argued with him a bit & then there was an awful squeal from among the rape about 30 yards ahead of us. Horse decided best course of action was turn & run but I stopped him. No way he was going forward & didn't fancy falling off on the stony track a good mile from the road so jumped off to lead him past whatever it was. The was more squealing & a sort of grunting & I thought maybe a badger was trapped in something. Managed to lead him slowly up the track - 2 steps forward, snort, circle then forward again encouraging him by talking to him when all of a sudden 4 male heads popped up from among the crop! They stood up & started walking towards me, at which point I decided the horse was right we should have turned and fled! Luckily they just walked straight past me without a word but I have never felt so vulnerable.

dixie

Visit site
I give up...............male heads of what - I was thinking pigs but you've put me off by saying they stood up.

Luckily your horse saved you !!!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
horses are too clever!!

my friend was telling me a story last time we did our 10 mile hack. a few years back she went over there early in the morning and was having a good gallop across the middle of a field, when all of a sudden her horse jump and squealed, she slowed her down and realised that her horse had jumped over a body in the field, so went back thinking someone had died and ended up waking the man up! turns out there'd been an illegal rave a few fields up and the man had got a bit lost and fell asleep!

As she got further on in the ride, she came across the rave, then the police who asked her if she'd seen anything! Thank goodness her horse jumped the person rather than trampling over him!!

hairycob

Visit site
I think they had been "enjoying each others company". I suspect they were disappointed at being disturbed. When I got home OH told me that a couple of his customers along the lane I had come from are considering installing condom machines outside their houses as apparently the area is popular for a certain outdoor activity that doesn't involve canines. He could have told me before I went there.

Fools Motto

Visit site
We've had a similar thread about this in the past....
'What strange things have you come across while out riding' (i'm almost sure we have anyway!)

But, 4 guys? Bet that was fun for them all!! lol - I'm intrigued about the squealing and grunting myself... oh such a sheltered life me! lol

huskydamage

Visit site
Lol why do people creep about?!

Learned to listen to my horse after she refused to cross an overgrown bridge. As I tried to get her closer I got a better look at it wondering what her problem with it was and it was knackered and about to collapse. Good job one of us is on the ball!