My horses condition score has went from 3 to 1

Philsponies

New User
Visit site
Hi all,

i was wondering if i could get some advice to what to feed my horse. I moved him from one town to another and his condition has went very down hill (the same thing happened once before) he was maybe on the fattier side but had lots of mustle and a beautiful coat. I had to take some time off for my health and his muscle is gone and he has lost significant weight you can see it in his neck and bum and his ribs are not showing yet but i can feel them slightly. He has been stressy he is calling out all the time and very forward to ride at the moment his stable is messy and he wasnt like that before. i would really like some advice on what to feed him. and some possible recomendadtions for a calming supplement.
I am currently feeing topspec high fibre mash and graze on light and a general suplement i know its not the right thing to be feeding him! and i need some help. He also gets 5 to 10 mins on his garlic lick at night and a 11kg haylege haynet a day (he does have hay in the field but i never see him at it).
Any recommendations would be appriciated.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Does the horse have company?

Sounds like because of the move the stress is causing the weight loss, I would feed as much haylage as the horse with eat you could add some micronised linseed to the current feed just add gradually.

Best calmer I have used is valerian and magnesium oxide both quite cheap so maybe start with that.

But you really need to find out why the horse is so stressed really.

Philsponies

New User
Visit site
Does the horse have company?

Sounds like because of the move the stress is causing the weight loss, I would feed as much haylage as the horse with eat you could add some micronised linseed to the current feed just add gradually.

Best calmer I have used is valerian and magnesium oxide both quite cheap so maybe start with that.

But you really need to find out why the horse is so stressed really.
do you think that the high fibre mash is right ? i can definitely get some micronised linseed and add that in gradually and some valerian. my guess is thathe doesnt want to be conming in at night he has been out all summer and i used to have a hard time getting him to come into the barn, he is neighing out to the heard when i ride him and i think he is stressed when he is sepereated, that is my theory at the moment i have had these issues with him before.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
do you think that the high fibre mash is right ? i can definitely get some micronised linseed and add that in gradually and some valerian. my guess is thathe doesnt want to be conming in at night he has been out all summer and i used to have a hard time getting him to come into the barn, he is neighing out to the heard when i ride him and i think he is stressed when he is sepereated, that is my theory at the moment i have had these issues with him before.
The vet can advise although some will tell you to call a feed company helpline.

To me, a condition score of 1 would suggest a poorly, emaciated horse, not one I'd be riding. Are you sure he's really 1? As you suggest this is a relative recent change you really need vet advice.

How old is he and does he have company. You mention he calls to a herd but does he have herd turnout? Do you have a worming programme and has he been recently wormed or tested?

Screenshot_20231124_095103_Chrome.jpg

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
If he has lost significant weight, after my experience with horses livers I’d get the vet out and his bloods tested. If he’s eating/eaten something toxic in the new grazing it could be why he’s lost so much weight.

Worth a vet check either way.

Ouch05

Visit site
When I moved my horse he went really stressy and lost weight even though his field mate moved with him, I had bloods done and it was his liver, a good treatment of Vit E was all he needed I followed it up with a some ulcer treatment.

Birker2020

Visit site
I'm having this problem with mine. I spoke to the Allen & Page nutritionist yesterday. She suggested I leave him on the Rowen Barbary Ready Mash Extra for 5 or 6 weeks and that with the linseed he's having and the sunflower oils should be fine.

If not then he's going on their Care & Gain I think it's called.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231124_115027_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231124_115027_Gallery.jpg
    736.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited: