My injury is stopping me :(

mturnbull

Visit site
Hi all,

Just want someone to tell me there is a way past it all really! To keep it short I received a kick to my lower back about 4/5 years ago now and despite checks from doctors and numerous physios it has improved but its always 'there'.

Although sometimes in pain after riding or doing too much it has never really stopped me doing anything however I am now competing more and riding about 5 times a week and mucking out two horses a day. I am now finding that when riding i am tipping forward and losing my position but its not a bad habit I feel as though I physically don't have the strength to sit up straight, push my shoulders back and still make him go pretty!

This is beginning to become increasingly frustrating as I want to move to Novice dressage but almost don't have the power for a more demanding test as I know at home when schooling for the novice tests I often go into half seat to ease my back.

Anyone with any hints or tips to help me? I am also getting a new saddle fitted in July hopefully finding one that can give me a bit more support or deepen my seat, any recommendations?

Thanks for reading from a very frustrated rider who needs a light at the end of the tunnel! :(

DifficultMare

Visit site
Perhaps you should go and checked again and make sure you get a scan done in case there's any disc involvement etc. I've had one lot of major surgery for a sequestrated disc and am due to have another epidural and nerve root injections for three more troublesome discs. If you can find out what is causing the problem hopefully it can be fixed - or at least made less problematic for you.

Good luck x

TangoCurly

Visit site
If it is just a bit of back weakness, after your physiotherapy, I'd highly recommend Pilates to strengthen your lower back.

Littlelegs

Visit site
I knew someone who used to ride in a back support, she said it made a massive difference. I'm no medical expert though so check with someone it wouldn't do adverse damage in your situation.

mturnbull

Visit site
Thanks for the responses!

Perhaps you should go and checked again and make sure you get a scan done in case there's any disc involvement etc. I've had one lot of major surgery for a sequestrated disc and am due to have another epidural and nerve root injections for three more troublesome discs. If you can find out what is causing the problem hopefully it can be fixed - or at least made less problematic for you.

Good luck x

Thanks, if the pain gets worse I think I will have to however before when I was at the doctors they were reluctant to offer me a scan due to me being 20 and with the lower region where they would scan/xray with it being so close to my ovaries but I may need to pester a little more!

Have you thought about Pilates to strengthen your core muscles??

Oops, snap, Tango!

Thanks tango too! I have been through a block of pilates which was through my physio before and found no significant difference but it may be a route I could go back down, Im sure I have a pilates dvd somewhere!

I knew someone who used to ride in a back support, she said it made a massive difference. I'm no medical expert though so check with someone it wouldn't do adverse damage in your situation.

Thanks, due to my age I am reluctant to put a back support on incase I end up having to ride in it forever and become dependant but I have used one before when it was really bad for short periods.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Have you considered accupuncture for your back? My mare had a bad neck and our vet used it to good effect on her. Sister had a bad back and had accupuncture (on the NHS) and found it very useful. Just a thought :)

soulfull

Visit site
If it has gradually got worse that may mean that the muscles have contracted causing more pain. I would ask for more physio if you can't get an MRI scan. my friend had a scan privately and it only cost £300 with consultation.

mturnbull

Visit site
Thanks yorks I hadn't really thought of accupunture as i previously used to take panic attacks when needles were around but this is now under control so could be worth a shot!

Thanks soulfull, I am just reluctant to go back down the physio route as it gets very frustrating when you feel you should be making a difference but it isn't however I cant go on like this so going to have to do something!

baran

Visit site
Have you looked at the Alexander Technique? It can be very helpful, especially if you find a teacher who has a specific interest in riding.

Marydoll

Visit site

As above, first speak to your doctor and check as they may want to do further tests to check it all out again, have you had an mri ?
Then pilates or yoga for strengthening the area, try a back support if its bad until the pilates kicks in.
My shoulders were damaged to the extent i was in pain most days,had lower back issues from a fall . I got physio and the obligatory painkillers from gp, did nothing . what worked for me was massage, i kid you not, years of aching all the time then i found a great masseuse, had 3 remedial sports massage sessions that im not going to lie were sometimes flipping sore, but about 2 days after them i felt the improvement, and everytime i went, improved more. Not only did the aches and pains dissappear, it helped me become more supple as a rider :) Get the all clear from your gp first and find a bloomin good masseusse and pilates instructor

mturnbull

Visit site
Thanks baran have never heard of it so will have a look on google for some information!

Thanks mary doll, as i said before doctors are reluctant to do any scans/xrays etc at this time due to me only being 20 and with the risk it could cause to my ovaries however this was what they said last time I was there about 6 months ago. Do you feel its maybe worth pushing for one?
Thats what i need to be pain free, supple and strengthened! Is there some sort of register to find a qualified masseuse? I know there are some in our area but would have to do a little investigating to find the right one.
When you were sore did you find your saddle made a difference at all?

Mince Pie

Visit site
Push the Doctors - took me 4 months to get them to send me for an MRI when my back was playing up as I was "too young" (26) for serious injury.... Lo and behold on the MRI 40% prolapse of the L5/S1 disc and resulting sciatica!