My Little Arab - update on horrific leg

Tia

Visit site
For anyone who remembers a couple of months ago when we nearly lost our little Arab as she almost ripped her leg off. She became caught in a fence (I believe she collided with one of the foals), became entangled in it, then she went into shock and started to colic. The vet did not hold out much hope for her and I wasn't sure whether she would pull through either. It was touch and go for a week but then she started to improve - here are a few piccies of how she has healed.

This was when she first injured herself:

191660191.jpg

191276224.jpg

191660200.jpg

As it is healing;

211788526.jpg

211789522.jpg

211790053.jpg

And now -

211785963.jpg

211785977.jpg

211785967.jpg

Isn't skin absolutely remarkable!! I am so pleased that she recovered and is looking so good. She now has a tonne of white scars but if that is the worst then I am thankful.

sojeph

Visit site
Ow - those were some nasty slices. Glad she healed so well
grin.gif

It is amazing how skin just knits together isn't it? My rescue pony was gelded last week and you'd barely notice he'd had anything done the very next day even though they had to knock him sparko and dig deep for one of his testicles
crazy.gif
grin.gif

Tia

Visit site
Do you know how many times I thought of you and Nigel when we were going through this??
crazy.gif
That was one of the things that kept me positive about the whole thing.

Tia

Visit site
Aww bless him. I know - it's funny that you know that skin is remarkable....but to me it is exactly the same as every time I a Jumbo Jet.....sometimes I can't fathom HOW it works.
crazy.gif
Even though I know it will heal, how it does it so well astonishes me.

Tia

Visit site
The pictures really don't do it justice - it really was awful and the thought of it having cut off her blood supply and having the leg die on us was never far from our minds.

She's fine now though thank goodness.

S_N

Visit site
WOW!!!! I don't remember her injuring herself!

Did you use your beloved Camrosa - or is that a silly question?

Theresa_F

Visit site
It is amazing how they heal, Breeze managed do something similar to her hock - so deep we thought we were going to loose her - she even grew her hair back in black.

Very glad that your mare is going to be fine.

filly190

Visit site
Tia, well done, you have done a fantastic job with that leg, I know the hard work it will have given you, keeping it clean and infection free.

Full credit deserved. If you have any tips on how you had been looking after it I would be grateful to hear, I have never had such a severe injury and it would add to the knowledge base and I am sure be very useful for others as this was a particuarly nasty one.

ru-fi-do

Visit site
Looking at the first pictures my reaction were
shocked.gif
, euwwe, ouch, nasty and thought Camrosa would be brill for that! Then when i saw the last ones WOW! They are remarkable, i'm also a great believer in Camrosa, this really is a fantastic result bet you are really pleased!
smile.gif

KateStartin

Visit site
Wow! went through a similar thing two years ago when my horse ran through wire and cut his hind leg straight through the extensor tendon down to bone. It wasn't stitched but very well bandaged with a robert jones splint and kept really clean and antibiotics. The body really is amazing because 2 years later he is all mended and has had a season eventing albeit with slightly lumpy leg!

Tia

Visit site
Initially the cuts didn't look too bad, however as time progressed and the skin and hair fell off, the horrors were there in plain view. The worst was at the back of her pastern where it had been cut right through to the tendons. The vet was awfully worried that the blood circulation had been cut off and then the leg was destined to die. Stitching was out of the picture - this wasn't an option unfortunately.

Anyway once I could see what I was dealing with I put her on a broad spectrum anti-B, some bute to help her get around and just packed the cuts with Furacin, this is a vet cream a bit like super-duper Protocon. Once the cuts had some skin over them I felt that the risk of proud flesh was great and I thought I could see some starting so it was then that I moved onto using Camrosa. I have no idea why and although I love Camrosa, I have never used it on open wounds. Anyway the Camrosa did it's job and there appears to be no proud flesh scars and she has healed incredibly well - just a few white scar marks and her leg is a bit bumpy now - but no lasting damage thank goodness.

claire1976

Visit site
Gosh thats one nasty injury - credit to you though - you've done a cracking job of getting it right again. A fantastic improvement and great advert for Camrosa. Glad she's going to be OK - thats one lucky horse!

Patches

Visit site
White hairs are quite unique! Who needs a freezemark! lol

What a fabulous job you've done with her. She looks really well. Is she also sound?

Remarkable.

Sooty

Visit site
Remarkable recovery. That injury reminds me of the one that Smallscot's foal suffered, do you remember that? It was ages ago and it took him a long while to recover. I am amazed at how swollen your horse's leg was, and how fantastic it looks now. Neat little hooves she has!

Tia

Visit site
She is almost sound. She has just the tiniest (occasional) quickstep, but most of the time she is fine - I guess because the ground has hardened up sometimes she is extra careful.

Yes Sooty I do remember Smalls horse's injury - not nice.

Thanks everyone; I was lucky in that she didn't get any infection. She lives out 24/7 so I was actually quite surprised that it remained clean, however she is actually a very clean pony and tends to stay out of any wet dust. I'm pleased with her recovery too.