My lorry failed its MOT

zoelouisem

Visit site
:( My little 3.5 tonne lorry had its mot on friday and failed.
Its failed on corrosion ive had a horsebox man look at it and he says its fixable and quoted me 100 pounds for the welding, putting some sealant on to prevent futher corrosion and to patch a small slow punture and also replace the winscreen washers as when i painted the lorry i blocked them:eek:.

Now im more than happy to spend this on the lorry shes quite old but the horsebox man said although elderly shes a good lorry and should get some more years out of her yet. Im just a little worried that obviously i carry precious cargo (daughters pony).

Hes also given me a very good quote for new flooring in the horsebox part as although good at the minute (he says safe) is getting on a bit and wouldnt want to risk pony!!!

Is it worth getting the work done?? Anybody else had welding work done and how much longer did you get out the lorry.:)

Scarlett

Visit site
How long is a piece of string? A good, simple welding job should last you a few years, but it's always dependant on the position of the weld, the thickness of the metals and skill of the welder. I've had welding work done thats lasted decades, and ones that have lasted a couple of years.

zoelouisem

Visit site
How long is a piece of string? A good, simple welding job should last you a few years, but it's always dependant on the position of the weld, the thickness of the metals and skill of the welder. I've had welding work done thats lasted decades, and ones that have lasted a couple of years.

Ok considering the age of the lorry a couple of years im happy with TBH.
I just want to make sure its considered safe to travel horses in a box thats had welding. The horsebox man didnt see a problem but obviously thats his job.

LCobby

Visit site
Only £100 for another years MOT sounds a good deal, compared to scrap value and having to find another lorry.
I;d get the floor done too, for peace of mind.

be positive

Visit site
For £100 it must be worth doing even if you leave the floor for a while, with a full MOT it will have a resale value, you can hopefully get another years use, at least, out of it, with no MOT it is scrap value only, then you will need a replacement which is bound to come with a few things to fix, better the devil you know.

zoelouisem

Visit site
Thanks thats what i was hoping people were going to say. Im more than happy with paying out 100 for it to get through the mot. TBH was expecting to have to spend a bit on it. SHes not young and i didnt pay alot for the lorry 6 months ago!! I just wanted to make sure it was safe!!
Yes defo gonn get the floor done, he said its perfectly safe at the minute but its not a young floor and would rather get it done to early than to late!!!
Gonna get the mot done so i can get tax done as that ran out friday. I cant afford to get the floor done aswell this month plus i want the lorry for half term in feb. So going to take back for the floor in March before the busy summer season begins.:)

Boysy

Visit site
I've got a whole new cab floor welded into my lorry and it's actually on it's 3rd floor in there, didn't realise until had latest one done 2yrs ago that it had been shoddily done before and the passengers seat was actually welded to buggarawl with a hole underneath that could have gone at any time.....well worth it for peace of mind although mine cost 10 times what yours is costing......

holeymoley

Visit site
I've got a whole new cab floor welded into my lorry and it's actually on it's 3rd floor in there, didn't realise until had latest one done 2yrs ago that it had been shoddily done before and the passengers seat was actually welded to buggarawl with a hole underneath that could have gone at any time.....well worth it for peace of mind although mine cost 10 times what yours is costing......

Your wording is hilarious :eek::D but omg!:eek:

zoelouisem

Visit site
Im feeling a bit better about it now, i was just really worried that although it could be fixed it wouldnt be safe!!!
My dads had a look at the failure notice and said its all very minor stuff that needs sorted and thats why its only going to cost what it is. Perfectly fine to carry on using.
The horsebox man was very complimentry about the lorry and said its well worth maintaining and spending a bit of money on and even when evenutually the chassis will need replacing the lorry bit once the floor is done will go on for years!!!
The person doing the work has come highly reccomended by several people. Shes already to go now keys left and dieseled up so fingers crossed Betsy the lorry with come back in better nick in a few days ready for a fun filled half term with daughter and pony!!!:D

zoelouisem

Visit site
I'll make you feel better - the gear box blew up on mine :( luckily (or not) on the garage forecourt.....

Oh no what a pain!!! Although at least it was on the garage forecout!!! My worst nightmare when i got out is something like that happening and been stuck on the motorway with a broken lorry pony on board and my 8 year old daughter. My first port of call would defintaly be my dad!!!LOL Then the break down people!!!!!;)