My lovely new Uvex took a battering...

Tempi

Visit site
Well for anyone who is interested/buying a Uvex helmet i can safely say that mine saved my life yesterday. Im in no doubt that without it I would either not be here or be in a very poor state right now.

I ride horses for other people (especially difficult horses) as ive got a bit of a reputation for getting on and staying on anything!! Ive been riding a 6yr old mare for someone and hacking her out once a week as she had bronced and dumped her owner a while back. I got on the mare as normal in the arena, walked off on a loose rein, i felt her back get really tight and she litteraly exploded out of no-where. Ive never sat on anything like it in my life, she bronced, slammed down, bronced, twisted, headed towards the wall and momentarily stopped, she then set off again across the areana broncing, slamming and twisting and i knew she wasnt going to stop until i was off. We were heading towards the arena fence at speed and i fancied my chances on the floor more than with the fence so i bailed out. Shes 17hh so not small and i smashed into the ground pretty much head and ankle (!) first. She ran off still broncing whilst i dragged myself out of the way and to the otherside of the fence as i was worried id then be trampled by her.

Someone eventually caught her whilst her owner came to see to me. Long story short but have chipped my ankle and ruptured some ligaments/tendons in my ankle aswell and now on crutches. Covered in bruises and feeling very sore today.

Where i landed on my head all i have is a slight bruise on my forehead, my hat is still in one piece but very scratched (i will replace it) but i truely believe that had i not had a hat on i would not be here now. Im very surprised i wasnt knocked unconscious aswell, am seriously impressed with my Uvex and how it coped as it was a heavy fall. Am more annoyed that i came off as ive not ever come off a horse thats broncing in my life.

Anyway, moral of this story - always wear a helmet!!!

quirky

Visit site
Ooh, sounds nasty :(

Hope you're not off your feet for too long and that you still have all your brain cells intact!

TarrSteps

Visit site
Pretty impressive you weren't knocked out. Sucks about the ankle but at least you can get along with that - a head is trickier! Hope the healing goes well.

Tempi

Visit site
Yes exactly, ankle is a pain (litteraly!!) but at least i can carry on with things just takes me a little longer than normal - shall be teaching on my crutches this week, lol!! :D

TarrSteps

Visit site
I will say, though, take care of your ankle and get some physio if you can. I did mine in in a similar fashion (hung up in stirrup . . ugh) and perhaps was not as careful as I could have been with my rehab ;) but wish now I'd taken better care. It's quite an annoying weakness to have when you ride for a living.

I don't get into the hat debate thing but had a similar accident - got on, horse exploded, rodeoed straight into the arena wall and climbed on top of me - and I'm sure I only lived to tell (knocked cold, seizures etc.) because of my hat.

Glad you were wearing yours. :)

Amaranta

Visit site
Ouch ouch ouch! Poor you :(

Here's hoping you make a speedy recovery. I would also echo the physio, it can really help recovery.

Pasha

Visit site
OMG Tempi! Soo glad you are ok, although you still have pretty bad injuries :(

I hope you get better very soon and I hope the owner replaces your hat for you as a goodwill gesture! I know I would and be paying for physio! Poor you x

Tempi

Visit site
Thank you Tarrsteps - Yes will be careful with the physio, am not going to ride for a couple of weeks in the hope i will make a full recovery between now and then as I dont want to risk further inury by pushing it too much.

Leg-end - The mare unfortunately had a very bad start to life and was abused etc. She has impecable breeding and movement and gave me an amazing ride the week before, but unfortunately she can be unpredictable due to be ill treated previously.

Amaranta - Thank you, have got lots of exercises to do :)

Tempi

Visit site
OMG Tempi! Soo glad you are ok, although you still have pretty bad injuries :(

I hope you get better very soon and I hope the owner replaces your hat for you as a goodwill gesture! I know I would and be paying for physio! Poor you x

The owner has been great and she is obviously very upset. She has offered to replace my hat but I have said to her that I will sort it myself, she is a friend aswell and I know she feels awful enough as it is.

soulfull

Visit site
ouch hun that sounds sore, but lucky too.

how long you going to be on crutches??

hugs and vibes for speedy recovery

I know what you mean about the horse, I had one do that too me and I am just an average RC rider!! Scared me to death and I couldn't stay on, they sort of leap in the air too :eek:

I didn't keep said horse I gave him away to someone whom I was assured they knew what they were doing.

Pasha

Visit site
Ah well she did offer then :D They are expensive though! I hope you get better very soon!

If it's of any help - I got my boyf a Back on Track back wrap thing when he damaged the ligaments in his back and his physio said it definately speeded his recovery! I think they do socks and leg things too!

tigers_eye

Visit site
Well that's good news re the Uvex having recently invested in one myself! Sounds nasty, I know the kind of buck you mean, it's the type where I always feel leg probably won't sort it out, just make them worse. Missy, although not as strongly as you describe, reacts like this when ovulating, I think it is something to do with the girth pressure. Leg exacerbates it. I now lunge her the days around ovulation, and can immediately tell whether it's bothering her or not. If it is I just work her on the lunge, in the hope that she will get used to this feeling with experience, and that in future I will be able to ride those days. Could it be linked to the mares hormones maybe?

Tempi

Visit site
The mare is on regumate for her hormones anyway and since being on it has been a different horse. The only thing we didnt do that we normally do is lunge her before i got on. But when we normally lunge her shes quiet as a lamb, the owner said she only lunged her for a minute each way yesterday and then got straight on thats why she thought i would be fine yesterday. Ive never even see her buck on the lunge. Shes such a beautiful mare its such a shame that shes got this unpredictable streak, whilst i'll get on her again im not too sure about the owner and obviously she couldnt be sold on as shes technically dangerous IMO.

Tinks81

Visit site
hmmm sounds like mine used to be he is slightly (very slightly) cold backed and even lunging for a minute on each rein to loosen him made a huge difference - he never bucked or went mad either on the lunge i used to have to make him trot but if i didnt he would do exactly that xx

Tempi

Visit site
Thank you all :) Have been resting with it up all day so far, am bored now though!! Mum is coming over to take me to the yard later so i can get some fresh air!

Tinks - Last time she did it (with her owner) she had been lunged before hand. She came from a well known person too and she never lunged her before riding and apparently never had this problem with her, the person who sold her is coming to see her next week as she is concerned about her behaviour too. Although cold backed is an option to think about, i did mention it previously, its just she never ever shows any other symptoms of this. Apart from the two broncing moments shes as good as gold.

Booboos

Visit site
Eeek, that sounds scary and dangerous, glad you weren't more seriously hurt! Another vote for the physio for your ankle. I relied on a GPs advice which turned out to be wrong and had a very lengthy and painful recovery from an ankle injury.