My mare keeps bucking out in stable help!

nahajola112

Visit site
she doesnt have any feathers as shes a warmblood if she does they are like a tiny strand of hair that I cut off anyway lol, im certain she dont have mites i wash her legs when she comes back from hacks with hibiscrub and stuff and she doesnt appear to have any flaking skin or irritation in her legs shes fine about you brushing and touching them

texel

Visit site
How many hours of turnout does she have daily ?

Have you thought about ulcers ?

In the meantime have you considered lining the walls of her stable with foam/sponge/rubber material which will protect her legs and also mute the noise she is making ?

If she lived out as a foal and the transition from living out to being stabled was perhaps not carried out over a period of time to give her a chance to get used to it; this could be the root of the problem.

Last edited:

nahajola112

Visit site
At least I know mine isnt the only one lol let me know if they find a solution

Friends horse does this, he has punched holes at head height from his timber stables and had to be returned in a hurry from a top event yard who had brick walls. Having the radio on helped, radio 2 works best (I didn't believe it but he does start up again if you change the station).

I will have to try this! never thought of a radio thank you! will try this tomorrow it may work in the fact she may think there are people around then :)

nahajola112

Visit site
Have you seen her kick out in her field? I know of a mare who recently started to belt her box with her hinds - turned out to be hormonal - ovaries were swollen and she was sore, uncomfortable, edgy and very PMT!

Regumate has helped. Worth asking your vet if they think it's a possibility?

Yep in the field to! she has kicked the bottom strand of fencing I know its her by the tell tale cuts I find on her back leg and the fence is on to!, our mares (all of them on the yard are besides one gelding pony who is my friends he isnt riggy or anything at all) all come in season all year round as we look after them really well and their all really well fed they come in quite reguarly, I have mine on oestress which helps keep her a bit calmer I found when i took her off it she started weaving and was just totally on one being a right moo! it helps to a certain extent but doesnt help the kicking how much is regumate usually?

nahajola112

Visit site
My very hormonal mare started doing this when she was stabled next to a rig (we didn't know he was a rig at the time or obviously she wouldn't have been next to him). Could it be something like this which is starting her off? My mare was also quite claustrophobic and couldn't cope being in a American barn, I can see your stables aren't in a barn but if she is in a corner stable (I don't know if this is the case) could she be feeling hemmed in and like she can't get her own space? Just some ideas I hope you find the problem!

She was in a stable that wasnt a stable corner before which she stilled bucked in :( and before that internal stables which were made of stone and we never knew she was doing this kicking then only when we came down one day to find her back shoes kicked off! she'd only had them on a few days! I think its more down to habit now than anything as something cant be setting her off every single night we are at a private yard so when we leave thats it no one else goes down its just a matter of breaking the habit and how to break it :)

Mrs B

Visit site
Yep in the field to! she has kicked the bottom strand of fencing I know its her by the tell tale cuts I find on her back leg and the fence is on to!, our mares (all of them on the yard are besides one gelding pony who is my friends he isnt riggy or anything at all) all come in season all year round as we look after them really well and their all really well fed they come in quite reguarly, I have mine on oestress which helps keep her a bit calmer I found when i took her off it she started weaving and was just totally on one being a right moo! it helps to a certain extent but doesnt help the kicking how much is regumate usually?

I'm afraid I don't know, as it's not my mare (I'm a geldings girl myself :)) but maybe some others here could tell you? It does sound just like the case I know, I have to say hence why I posted.

I would be inclined to ask the vet if it could be hormonal asap though, before she really does herself a mischief. Hope you get it sorted :)

nahajola112

Visit site
My very hormonal mare started doing this when she was stabled next to a rig (we didn't know he was a rig at the time or obviously she wouldn't have been next to him). Could it be something like this which is starting her off? My mare was also quite claustrophobic and couldn't cope being in a American barn, I can see your stables aren't in a barn but if she is in a corner stable (I don't know if this is the case) could she be feeling hemmed in and like she can't get her own space? Just some ideas I hope you find the problem!

How many hours of turnout does she have daily ?

Have you thought about ulcers ?

In the meantime have you considered lining the walls of her stable with foam/sponge/rubber material which will protect her legs and also mute the noise she is making ?

If she lived out as a foal and the transition from living out to being stabled was perhaps not carried out over a period of time to give her a chance to get used to it; this could be the root of the problem.

She gets turned out in the menage for quite a few hours in the morning and is ridden and walked in hand and she gets loads of attention, when she was out in summer all day and came in for the evening she was bucking out then but not as bad

Her walls are lined with matting all the way round and shes still damaged herself i am thinking of somehow using some sort of foam can you suggest any? but something thats tough as the sort of horse she is she'll pull it off the walls and eat it shes one of them lol

She came in as a foal as we bred her the day she was born and was turned out and brought in lived out over summer came back in again in winter and she was fine its only since she was sold and come back to us she's had this problem when shes out she wants to come in again within about 5 minutes she just stands at the fence lol

Littlelegs

Visit site
Unless doped or on mega doses of valerian, my 23yr old does it if she's stabled 24/7 for more than a few days with no chance of a blast. It's partly frustration, hence valerian or some form of sedation helps. And I think its partly through being itchy, even though she has always had room to roll in every stable & groomed, its not the same as a good roll outdoors. She stops if you go in her stable, but she's too polite to let rip being ridden or inhand, so if no turnout then her stable is the only place she feels she can. I think if you don't already I'd let her loose rugless twice a day for a roll incase its that, then maybe try something like valerian to take the edge off. I think too if no turnout is the usual in winter at your yard it might be time to find somewhere that suits her better.

nahajola112

Visit site
I'm afraid I don't know, as it's not my mare (I'm a geldings girl myself :)) but maybe some others here could tell you? It does sound just like the case I know, I have to say hence why I posted.

I would be inclined to ask the vet if it could be hormonal asap though, before she really does herself a mischief. Hope you get it sorted :)

I dont blame you they are a whole lot easier and a lot less stroppy! lol

if this keeps on I think i may have to someone here suggested a radio which ill try if that doesnt work then i think it may have to be the vet route thank you for your help :)

texel

Visit site
It sounds as if she may not have been introduced to stable living correctly at somne point and is bored and frustrated.

You need to monitor the kicking so you can see if it is related to her cycle or not. Best to rule out ulcers and other digestive related issues.

You can try to line the stabel with carpet and also hang gorse bushes inside.

Have a look at this device it uses water to deter the kicking.

http://www.quitkick.com/

ktj1891

Visit site
My pony did this she would stick her bum on the wall and bunny hop/kick out while squealing. She did it out of boredom from being in as we didn't have turnout. May be worth having a think about moving yards where she can be out in the day, sounds like shes stressed from being in.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
how many rugs are you using? you say she has an amigo lightwieight on underneath her other rug that seems alot to me as its been so mild, perhaps she is too hot.and i know how irritable i get if im hot...she may just want to get the rugs off why not try leaving her without rugs during the day to start with?

texel

Visit site
I would start again from the begining.

Once you have ruled out medical issues, you need to retrain her brain.

Let her live out with a small group of other horses, giver her time to settle into this new routine and then gradually build up a relationship with her. You can still ride her and work with her etc.

When she has settled (and this will take a few months) you can re-introduce the stable routine - very gradually.

Kate88

Visit site
My last horse did this but not as often as yours. She seemed to only start doing it when the horse next to her was brought in and usually around feeding time. She was a bad weaver as well and preferred to be out as much as possible. It wasn't as regularly as every night (that I know of) and would settle down fairly quickly. She did however turn out to have severe back problems (not sure if that's relevant or not) .

nahajola112

Visit site
how many rugs are you using? you say she has an amigo lightwieight on underneath her other rug that seems alot to me as its been so mild, perhaps she is too hot.and i know how irritable i get if im hot...she may just want to get the rugs off why not try leaving her without rugs during the day to start with?

She has the amigo lightweight under every rug as it stops her rubbing on the shoulders due to the lining and straw doesnt stick inside the lining she is clipped and wears 3 rugs at the moment the lightweight underneath, a normal stable rug on top and a high neck on top of its turned colder down here in the south and i always check her before we leave and shes just right with the rugs she has on my mum helps me with the rugs to :) believe it or not my horse is actually worse if she gets cold lol :)

nettle

Visit site
She has the amigo lightweight under every rug as it stops her rubbing on the shoulders due to the lining and straw doesnt stick inside the lining she is clipped and wears 3 rugs at the moment the lightweight underneath, a normal stable rug on top and a high neck on top of its turned colder down here in the south and i always check her before we leave and shes just right with the rugs she has on my mum helps me with the rugs to :) believe it or not my horse is actually worse if she gets cold lol :)

I think your horse is almost certainly too hot. 3 rugs in this mild weather? What will you put on her if it turns properly cold??

nahajola112

Visit site
I think your horse is almost certainly too hot. 3 rugs in this mild weather? What will you put on her if it turns properly cold??

No honestly shes fine lol she is clipped remember and she is checked every night if she was hot she'd of sweated up and be getting colic every night and she is fine she hasnt sweated up and is just right she is a thoroughbred cross and has a very very fine coat, it is colder down here she does it with no rugs on to its not the cause of her problem

nahajola112

Visit site

and if its colder she has a thicker 2nd normal stable rug :) their not all really heavy thick rugs she only has so many as i dont have 1 big heavyweight one it seems like a lot but they are not massive heavy thick rugs the bottom one does nothing really just stops her rubbing lol

Charlie77

Visit site
Habit!? Mine will buck n buck n buck at feed time in a stable or out. I know his mother did and so also les first foal. Mine is the second from the same mare. Im pretty sure . If he was stabled dens long periods this would get worse. Lucky i have my own field and stable so he is out all day i have no yard owner restricting turn out. I have mud on the lights from his tail and lots of good prints up the bloody walls! He did start to do this even with a hay net but went out for the summer and when he came in next winter seemed to have forgot to do it with a net so now just hard feed

philamena

Visit site
Mine used to buck in her stable - very alarming, proper humped back bucks! With her, it was definite agitation of some variety rather than boredom. She was in a big stable in an american barn, with enough hay to sink a ship.... and what seemed to set her off was a noise she couldn't see, either from the barn behind her back wall or outside the barn. She could get her legs bloody high as well! I'd arrive in the morning to ride and people would be coming the other way saying 'rather you than me', but literally the second you brought her out she would chill straight out. We had her scoped for ulcers, which she had and so we treated. The bucking didn't change once the gastrogard kicked in - unlike with lots of people's horses whose pain related behaviour switches off within days. BUT about a month later, we moved yards and she basically stopped overnight.

I don't have an explanation for why she did it and then stopped, but if you look at the variables, it coincided with: treating the ulcers (but not straight away) then moving yard, her not being in an american barn, and her going from having a slightly moveable routine (turnout between 0630 and 0830, bring in between 1500 and 1930 depending on weather / light) to having a completely regimented routine with turnout and bring in like clockwork.

My thinking is that that the ulcers did make her feeling agitated, and the american barn had the situation which would set her off (hidden noises, couldn't see enough outside) and that she carried on the behaviour after the ulcer pain had gone, out of memory and habit... Then when we moved yard, the new setting and new routine was enough to kind of re-set her and give her enough to think about to make her forget the habit.

She DID take instead to trying to kick her neighbour through the wall, and "normal naughty" kicking of the door when she thought breakfast or dinner was due. Once a bit of the wall on the other side fell down into the next door horse's stable, the poor sausage must have thought the sky was falling in! As that was normal naughty, we knocked it on the head almost overnight with a QuitKick - which I'd suggest is worth trying with yours if you think it's learned behaviour rather than pain, fear or panic.

There was another horse at my old yard who used to back into the corner and squeal and kick the walls, wearing the skin on her hocks (she usually stood so close she couldn't actually get a proper kick up). No idea, it's like she thought someone was behind the wall trying to nick her food / stable / whatever. I'd use a Quitkick on her in a flash, she wasn't stressed, just oddly determined...

Frankie10

Visit site
Hi
I have exactly the same problem with my gelding. Bucks in the stable- at tea time, breakfast time, when it rains, if he is bored or excited or basically whenever he fancies. I have no idea why. Everything is fine. Problem is, he also does this in the trailer too. He is also continually bruising his hocks. He wears hock boots and long travel boots when in the trailer but inevitably, whenever I get anywhere he has managed to pull these off or down and bruise his hocks again.
I'll follow this post as like you, I really don't know how to resolve it
X

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
when you say its cold down south, where on earth are you? what temperature is it? just because she is tb doesnt mean she has to have loads of rugs on, and just because she is not actually sweating doesnt mean she isnt too hot.... i have had horses for over 40 years and have only had to put that amount of rugs on about twice when we had deep snow!!!! what will you put on her when it gets really cold? sorry but i still think you could try without during the day.....

nahajola112

Visit site
Comment noted splash but the topic is about the kicking not rugs she is fine with the rugs she has on come down and check if your that worried lol hirses are like people some get colder than others some get warmer than others they are all individuals not the same like people some feel the cold more than others
she's honestly fine I know enough about horses to know she's fine with the rugs she has on my friend also has the same amount on her pony and my friends in livery are all putting hoods on there horses aswell as high necks but i dont go that far they do get a break from them and all their and my horses are all happy and healthy to :)
I'm closing this topic now guys I have some really awesome tips to help me thank you to everyone :) and Francie 10 if any of the tips here work ill message you so you can try them as I know how frustrating it is with this habit :)

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Having read your other thread on your mare which who is still bucking in her stable (would have posted on there but you closed it, not sure why as the suggestions were good).
Anyway, seeing as this mare has been stabled for months and is heavily rugged, why you don't turn her out with company, hay in the field and reduce the rugging.
She sounds like a hot, claustrophobic horse.

Oldenburg27

Visit site
My old horse used to do this alot to the point where he caused £1000 worth of damage to his stable and he sometime's did it when out not as much though, turn's out his flexor tendon (back left) had gone and he was in pain ( not trying to up set you or anything), Just saying it might be pain related so is there anyway you could so a bute test,put her on but for 2/3 day's and see if she is stop's it???

Hope you find out the cause soon x