My mare keeps getting a very itchy swollen vulva

aimeecurtis

New User
Visit site
this is the first time ive ever posted anything - your help would be greatly appreciated.
my mare keeps getting a very swollen vulva and very very itchy back end.
It all started in September last year (2014) she was very itchy and had sores in her tail, I few broken tail hairs bit was very sore on the underside of her dock. I noticed a pinworm and so immediately treated her for pinworms. I hibiscrubed her twice a day and applied aloe vera to her sores. after about 2 weeks it cleared up fine. then around Christmas it all came back. same again I was cleaning her and it went away.
then.. in late January she started scratching again. This time it was nothing like pinworms. when I looked this time her bum and underside was very sore and weeping(!) it was a clear yellow fluid. I hibbiscrubbed. I could literally watch the fluid come out of her skin. the sides of her bum next to her vulva was very swollen and itchy. then her hair on her hindquarters began to fall out. after cleaning and purple spray and aloe vera after a few days it cleared. now this time, her hair is starting to fall out a bit (nowhere near as much as last time) she is very itchy and her vulva area is swollen again. her hindquarters is also very swollen, I think its from itching.
I cant figure out if she is itching because of the swelling or swelling because of the itching!!
she is all up to date with worming, vacs, nothing changed in field/stable. feed is the same. no new rugs or bedding.
please help!

Beausmate

Visit site
^^This. Hibiscrub is pretty harsh stuff, and I certainly wouldn't be using it on such a sensitive area unless on medical advice. Even then, I query it!

BraidedTail

Visit site
Agree with above and I'd say vet too. Could be an infection of some sort?
However; you mention worming for pinworms - they are notoriously difficult to get rid off, so still could be a possibility. Took me nearly 12 months to get my pony clear of pinworms; he'd rubbed his hindquarters raw with oozing and bleeding too. Vet supplied me with some ointment to paint on around anus, and I electric fenced off an area so he couldn't scratch on anywhere. Wormed with Panacure 5 day, then monthly with Strongid P until poos were clear of pinworms. Might not be that though, so best check with vet first. Best of luck.

aimeecurtis

New User
Visit site
Just an update, had the vet and hibiscub is the best thing to use. It's a fantastic antiseptic and antibacterial wash. Got to keep washing and treating wounds until she heals!

ilvpippa

Visit site
My girl went through a stage rubbing in the trailer & would cut her lady bits & aloe Vera was the best thing; I just popped it on twice a day & it healed in a week or so