My Monster Muddy Milton Keynes 3DE report...with lots of pics!

diggerbez

Visit site
Sorry this is a little late...been having internet issues and was also tucked up in bed super early last night as was completely shattered from the whole thing! As some of you will know i was having a HUGE dilemma about whether i should even go to the event as groom/companion pulled out at the last minute...however, decided to go after some lovely folks on here offered to help...and i am very glad i did in the end :D

so on saturday V and I trooped down south on a 4 hour drive down the motorway...fortunately Spotted Cat and her lovely friends had saved me a stable next to them and also a camping spot too... so at least i wasn't billy no mates! Massive thanks to SC for feeding me and entertaining me...was lovely to meet the Grumpy Bay One as well (he is grumpy...i can attest...but very lovely at the same time! :p)

V was extremely pleased that his stable had grass in it!
533024_10150850117816953_1433297672_n.jpg

The first 24 hours were pretty grim if i'm honest...it just rained and rained and rained...my boots leaked, my wellies leaked, my coats (all 3 of them) were wet through...my dressage test was also pretty shocking...V's flatwork has been much much better of late but he was a bit wired and reverted to short and tight in the neck- not helped by the judge beeping us in before we'd had chance to have a lap round the outside to settle so there were some spooks in the test too that would normally not happen if he's had more time to settle. got a well deserved 41.5...i think that BE102 test is really hard with him because he gets fixed and so i lose shed loads of marks in the 10m loops...

Trot up:

[Content removed]

Probably the best bit of my test ;)

[Content removed]

When i walked the XC course i was seriously scared. I'd entered the Open which was billed as 3ft3-3ft6 XC.... PN with a few Novice fences...the plan this season had been to be pretty much ready for Novice by June and so this would be a good test- clearly this didn't happen and, instead i've just done a few PNs and managed to fall off at one after seeing the most shocking non-stride to a corner...i honestly think that the course was more Novice than PN...maybe not quite as technical but it certainly felt big...was most worried by the double of podiums (they looked massive and the sort of fence i tend to get over-fiddly at), the trakhener, the normandy bank and the ditch pallisade which was mahooooosive! i was also worried that these 'questions' all came after each other- so if we had a dodgy jump at one there was no 'let up' fence to build confidence.
The absolute superstars of the whole weekend were HHOers Carefreegirl and PaddyMonty who gave up their free time over bank hol weekend to come and help me... this help was especially needed on XC day where i was slowly working myself up into a frenzy about how i was going to die :rolleyes: PM was especially helpful with advice on how to tackle my timings for the roads and tracks and CFG took some brilliant photos...i cannot thank them enough for all they did :D (just goes to show that HHO CAN be a good place! :p)

the roads and tracks were good fun and the steeplechase was fab...loved it!

[Content removed]
[Content removed]
[Content removed]

managed to get within the time on phases A-C thanks to PM's advice and the use of my watch (kindly lent to me by another HHOer- Charlimouse!)

After a stern talking to by my new grooms i set off on the dreaded XC...and had a BRILLIANT time! i ended with a couple of time pens but was over the moon to jump clear! he felt very confident all the way round...he jumped the trakhener rather big (resulting in quite a loud shriek from me :eek:)...powered off the bank and again was very brave at the ditch pallisade :D

[Content removed]
[Content removed]

oh and it had stopped raining too- which had improved everybody's mood! was lying in 8th place after the XC (definite improvement from 15th after dressage! :p)

SJ day- was one of the last to jump which wasn't good for my nerves and still ended up being in a mad rush to get warmed up...again massive thanks to carefreegirl for doing warm up fences for me! thought that the course was relatively small...but there were 2 doubles and both walked on 7...so definitely needed to come into them quietly. i didn't ride very well- often SJing at a comp i completely forget what i am doing...V jumped well but i overrode into the last double and therefore had the second element down...was pleased that he didn't spook at any of the fillers though- 12 months ago he would have probably had a paddy about some of them!

[Content removed]

In the end the 4 faults wasn't too expensive...i finished 8th (would have been 7th without them)...which i was really happy about- given that all i'd wanted to do was complete in one piece!

[Content removed]

so all in all i had a great...if knackering time! feel very positive about my horse and the prospect of moving up to novice at some point. eventing-wise that is it for me until after my wedding in august but i am going to use the time to get working on the flatwork and trying to push myself with the Showjumping!
would definitely recommend the MK3DE to people- i won the entry as part of a magazine competition- but i would like to return next year if i can! :D
i can offer a bottle of bulmers and some cheese and onion crisps for reading! :D

(the pics are courtesy of carefreegirl and the pro ones were purcahsed from ultimate images for facebook/internet use...so no button pushing please :p)

Last edited by a moderator:

star

Visit site
sounds fab. i loved doing the steeplechase and R&T at the RC Champs - soooo much fun! Fabby piccies - love the trot up one - he looks stunning :D

CalllyH

Visit site
If you need a hand again, or want some company just shout me. Not an expert in xc but can help with running around, grooming etc.

Brilliant to see your report and that you had a good time

Rosiefan

Visit site
Lovely report and excellent result. Definitely don't envy you the rain, thank goodness it stopped and the sun came out :)

FlyingCoo

Visit site
Sounds like just what the doctor ordered for you guys.So glad you went and had a fab time.
A big well done to you all and to all your new super grooms.

SpottedCat

Visit site
It was great fun! But OMG I have never in my life been so wet for so long (and considering I work outside that is saying something). I want to go back too! Thinking a trip in September is in order as some important decisions were made in the lorry on the trip home ;)

Ali16

Visit site
Great report - thanks for sharing :) And a massive well done, especially for the XC!

It is such good fun - we were there for the 2011 spring event with a client who was in the 90cm section and she only went and WON! You get such incredible prizes too!

Looking forward to Novice reports now ;)

Spendtoomuch

Visit site
Brilliant photos, looks like you had a great time :)

If you go to the next one, I will happily come and help (live local) didn't offer this time as I was in hospital the week before and not able to do much :(

What was the xc course like? Strange question but did they have the gravel before and after each fence?, I went xc schooling there a few weeks ago and my horse seemed to think he couldn't jump anything other than steps with the gravel :rolleyes:

Rosie1989

Visit site
Well done! Sounds like you had a great time!! I was there as well doing class 1.

In the nicest way possible...you are insane :D haha that bank was huge! I would of cried going into that!

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Hope you've finally dried out !
It was good fun helping, so much so going to do the one next May :)
Nice to meet a few HHO's in the flesh as it were.....

SC - got a few good pics of you also, mainly steeplechase so if you want them pm me your email.

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Well done, sounds like the XC was the most challenging part & you did it easily :). We have met but I did not confess to (mostly) lurking here at the time(s). Sure you'll both find Novice easy when you do one ;).

diggerbez

Visit site
thanks everyone! V is now having a well deserved week off in the field (although he's probably not really enjoying it given the weather :p) as the chiro is coming to give him the once over next weekend to check everything is ok...and i am madly trying to get all my exam marking done!

diggerbez

Visit site
It was great fun! But OMG I have never in my life been so wet for so long (and considering I work outside that is saying something). I want to go back too! Thinking a trip in September is in order as some important decisions were made in the lorry on the trip home ;)

oooh...spill! :p

diggerbez

Visit site
Brilliant photos, looks like you had a great time :)

If you go to the next one, I will happily come and help (live local) didn't offer this time as I was in hospital the week before and not able to do much :(

What was the xc course like? Strange question but did they have the gravel before and after each fence?, I went xc schooling there a few weeks ago and my horse seemed to think he couldn't jump anything other than steps with the gravel :rolleyes:

yes they did have a lot of that orange gravel out...did stop it getting slippy though so did the trick! :D

diggerbez

Visit site
Well done, sounds like the XC was the most challenging part & you did it easily :). We have met but I did not confess to (mostly) lurking here at the time(s). Sure you'll both find Novice easy when you do one ;).

oooh, i'm intrigued now! when when when??? :D

AutumnRose

Visit site
Fab report. So glad you decided to go! I'd love to have a crack at it as I loved the r+t and steeplechase at the rc champs. Why have the photos gone?! Have seen then on fb and they are super but not illegal on here surely?!

Carefreegirl

Visit site
TFC - I took most of those pics and I'm certainly not a professional photographer and she has my full permission to post them !!!!!!!!!