My new horse has turned into a hamster!

Birker2020

Visit site
Yesterday he had hamster cheeks on the one side, I assumed it was a bite from the horse in the paddock next door over the fence.

Now today it's on both sides. Someone suggested its the grass, as it's had cattle on for 100 yrs prior to it becoming a livery. I didn't strip graze as its had two horses on for the past month or so and the grazing isn't rich this time of year unless we have the Autum flush.

He's bright and alert and eating as normal so is this something to observe over the next few days maybe? No one is concerned so i guess its usyal although I don't remember any of the others having this.

He's been on Marksway blue hi fibre haylage since Friday mixing with hay and his usual feed.

Thanks ?

Attachments

• 20211020_164712.jpg
    20211020_164712.jpg
    812.6 KB · Views: 131
  • 20211020_164948.jpg
    20211020_164948.jpg
    843.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 20211020_165225.jpg
    20211020_165225.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 20211020_165324.jpg
    20211020_165324.jpg
    902.2 KB · Views: 163

Birker2020

Visit site
grass glands, but a bit lower than I've normally seen them though.

But way more importantly does your new horse have an eyebrow?![/QUOTE

Good thanks as suspected.
Ha, ha yes the eyebrow! He did it in the lorry on the way home. Now the dark skin has come off its very noticeable. I was thinking of doing the other side to match ??

Polos Mum

Visit site
The offside looks like grass glands but the circular shame and central cheek position of the nearside looks more like a bite or sting.

grass glands is a simple term for swollen lymph nodes which are well behind the cheek bone. They swell from too much protein - not hugely typical at this time of year but it has been unusually warm and grass still actively growing.

Birker2020

Visit site
Th
The offside looks like grass glands but the circular shame and central cheek position of the nearside looks more like a bite or sting.

grass glands is a simple term for swollen lymph nodes which are well behind the cheek bone. They swell from too much protein - not hugely typical at this time of year but it has been unusually warm and grass still actively growing.
Thank you.

I forgot to mention both sides pit under the pressure of a thumb.

Maybe i should think about sectioning the paddock after all.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If it has gone by morning then I would say grass glands and not to worry other than moderating grass intake.

If still as big or bigger in the morning, then I would ask the vet to visit.

Birker2020

Visit site
If it has gone by morning then I would say grass glands and not to worry other than moderating grass intake.

If still as big or bigger in the morning, then I would ask the vet to visit.
Sadly i can't get down in the morning as i have to be at work early and usual staff are on holiday and I have no idea who is covering. It couldn't be a worse week with a new horse but i will be there at 4pm so will assess him then.

To be fair everyone I've asked have been fairly dismissal about it, saying its grass glands so i feel like they think I'm making a fuss about nothing.

There is no heat in the raised area and he doesn't mind me touching them.

Why, what had you in mind?

Red-1

Visit site
Sadly i can't get down in the morning as i have to be at work early and usual staff are on holiday and I have no idea who is covering. It couldn't be a worse week with a new horse but i will be there at 4pm so will assess him then.

To be fair everyone I've asked have been fairly dismissal about it, saying its grass glands so i feel like they think I'm making a fuss about nothing.

There is no heat in the raised area and he doesn't mind me touching them.

Why, what had you in mind?

We used to get horses with grass glands fairly regularly, but they had always much reduced by morning, but up again if turned back out for the same amount of time. Some then went on to colic, as grass glands come when they are on richer pasture than they are used to. It isn't causative grass gland to colic, just a sign that they are on unsuitable pasture for them, at that time, so I would change procedure t have shorter turnout until they caught up.

If they didn't go down majorly overnight, I would be concerned that it was something else. I would then want a vet to have a look in case of infection or something else. IME, grass glands may not disappear completely overnight, but they do go down at least 80%.

Birker2020

Visit site
We used to get horses with grass glands fairly regularly, but they had always much reduced by morning, but up again if turned back out for the same amount of time. Some then went on to colic, as grass glands come when they are on richer pasture than they are used to. It isn't causative grass gland to colic, just a sign that they are on unsuitable pasture for them, at that time, so I would change procedure t have shorter turnout until they caught up.

If they didn't go down majorly overnight, I would be concerned that it was something else. I would then want a vet to have a look in case of infection or something else. IME, grass glands may not disappear completely overnight, but they do go down at least 80%.
Ok thank you. I will go down before work. If i try and leave the house before 6.30am I will be able to have a few minutes to see him. I can put back my strip grazing tomorrow after work.

Work are proper strict with my hours for some strange reason. I have to return a laptop back to the area office. It was given me as a loan before my new one arrived some four months ago now but as they don't open till 8am and i have to be at work by 7.30am on site, our site manager said i could take it but they couldn't pay me my hours for the time I wasn't at work!

God forbid I'm late....

Birker2020

Visit site
UDATE: Went to see Lari this morning - he was delighted to see me and I got a whinny.

His face has gone right down! I've left a note in the diary for staff to bring in late lunch time and my partner will go up this afternoon and put electric fence across to minimise the amount of grazing.

It's my fault, I assumed as he was already out between 8-12 hours a day (at his previous owners) , I'd put him on the same diet as he'd been on the past year but with the addition of slowly introducing hay to the haylage over the past few days and the fact that my paddock had been used for the past month by two horses overnight from 4pm - 9am that any issues relating to feed would have been removed.

Oh well, situation resolved. Thanks Red1 for your input, I decided last night to go down this morning after reading your post and glad I did as it put my mind at rest. Thank you.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
My horse also had an eyebrow once :p

He also had grass glands a few days ago, but they went right down the next day. He was totally unbothered. Glad it was the same for your guy and that he's no longer a hampster ;)

Birker2020

Visit site
My horse also had an eyebrow once :p

He also had grass glands a few days ago, but they went right down the next day. He was totally unbothered. Glad it was the same for your guy and that he's no longer a hampster ;)
Me too! Especially as I'd only set his passport over to the vet on request the day before after speaking to them on the phone. Couldn't imagine having a conversation with them again so soon ;)

Red-1

Visit site
UDATE: Went to see Lari this morning - he was delighted to see me and I got a whinny.

His face has gone right down! I've left a note in the diary for staff to bring in late lunch time and my partner will go up this afternoon and put electric fence across to minimise the amount of grazing.

It's my fault, I assumed as he was already out between 8-12 hours a day (at his previous owners) , I'd put him on the same diet as he'd been on the past year but with the addition of slowly introducing hay to the haylage over the past few days and the fact that my paddock had been used for the past month by two horses overnight from 4pm - 9am that any issues relating to feed would have been removed.

Oh well, situation resolved. Thanks Red1 for your input, I decided last night to go down this morning after reading your post and glad I did as it put my mind at rest. Thank you.

Phew, if they went right down then it is unlikely to be anything else. Good shout to limit the grazing until he catches up.

Squeak

Visit site
Just to add to this in case it's relevant, I'd only ever had grass glands come up when on lush grass until I got my current hoover of a horse who would get swellings around his face (saliva glands) that were due to him chomping short grass quickly so that he had too much saliva for the amount he was eating (sorry I think I've explained this badly).

They were also solved when he came off the grass for a while but they'd seemed odd because they came up at times when the grass wasn't as lush.

Birker2020

Visit site
also dont forget he was in full work and now is doing less so that may contribute as well, hope you can get riding soon..
Yes, you probably have something with that.

I had a text an hour ago saying my new saddle has arrived and saddler coming up with it later for me. Hooray, might actually get a ride in tonight! My second ride ever on my new pony. Looking forward to it, just hope he's not too silly, it might pay to put him on the lunge quickly first and I have my air jacket to ride in.

The indoor horse walker broke two days ago, the chap has been out to fix it but couldn't but hoping we have resolved the issue and he will be coming back out soon. We all use it so much during the bad weather as some horses don't go out every day. :)