My new mare has LICE

Visit site
Ok so I got a new mare 2 weeks ago,
she’s been grazing with my 4 other horses…
yesterday I noticed she had lice ( thrilling ik) it’s not a huge infestation, mostly just in her forelock and dock but definitely a few on her body.
anyway I’ve taken all the lice off I possibly can out manually, I’ve covered her in diatomaceous earth, and I’ve given her a treatment of lice n simple. my main question is, do I have to treat my other 4? I’ve covered them all in diatomaceous earth, but the lice treatment is really expensive so would rather not use it if I didn’t have to… I can’t see any on them I’ve inspected their coats pretty well and haven’t found any eggs or lice.
I’ve read online ivermectin kills lice,
so wondering if I potentially can just worm all of them with an ivermectin wormer instead of treating them for lice? Or do I not even have to do that if I can’t see any?

anyway I basically just want to know what people in this situation have done,
and also is there anything else I can do to ensure the lice on the mare definitely all go ASAP? I really don’t wanna be mucking around with this for months…
picture of the blood suckers (and yes 100%is lice not dandruff, seen the little monsters crawling around and laying eggs)D5004273-DEE8-4DDC-BE3E-206ED89F6F78.jpeg

meleeka

Visit site
I used Deosect on all mine to be sure, two doses. As you say you really don’t want this to be going on for months so I’d want to get rid of them as quickly as possible before they’ve established themselves on your fences etc.

MissTyc

Visit site
I use Deosect on mine too.
We have to do our herd annually as they turn up every spring on the hairies, possibly from the big wide world of horses, cows, sheep, deep, etc over the fence, or maybe we're just infested lol. One treatment enough for most, but if they're actually covered then two treatments, two weeks apart does the trick. I also use Deosect spray against ticks - magic!

nutjob

Visit site
I use deosect, you dilute the stuff in the bottle a lot before use so it's not too expensive if you have a few to do.

SEL

Visit site
I had this a few years back when s new pony at livery decided mine were her friends - & I didn't realise she was hopping. A bottle of deosect goes a long way

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Deosect is brilliant stuff, but you must do all horses that have been in contact at the same time and again in two weeks time. If any of them have been wearing rugs then you must also dust them thoroughly with any proprietary lice powder, particularly the inside of the rug any seams. Go in all guns blazing now to avoid months trying to clear the damn things time and again. Good luck ?

Visit site
I used Deosect on all mine to be sure, two doses. As you say you really don’t want this to be going on for months so I’d want to get rid of them as quickly as possible before they’ve established themselves on your fences etc.
Unfortunately it looks like that product isn’t available in New Zealand ?

nutjob

Visit site
The active ingredient is Cypermethrin do you have any products which contain this but are marketed under a different name? Also, I would definitely treat all the horses at the same time whether you can see lice on them or not. Ivermectin is only effective against sucking lice and not chewing lice apparently so probably better to use an insecticidal wash or spray.