My new pony

Michen

Visit site
Even if you don't pay for the legal stuff it's very expensive to run a course of treatment without knowing you actually need to spend that money.

I've also known horses that needed more than one course to be completely clear and that needs scoping to know.

I always had the same mindset, but the vets here run a course of omeprazole for any horse undergoing severe stress. So both times Bog was hospitalized, he was on it. And sent home with it.

Again with the horses that come in and out of Colorado from or too their summer homes, course of GG.

Really good idea IMO.

IrishMilo

Visit site
Aww Miles! What a sweetheart! I will look forward to reading about his progress. Sorry if I have missed elsewhere in the thread but how old is he?

He'll be 3 in June!

He looks lovely. I’m sure he’ll be grand but doesn’t @ycbm say aloe Vera is good for ulcers? That might not do any harm.

That's a good shout, thanks for reminding me!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Where I start most off now is a freebie, 7 Secrets of Self Carriage in FB, it touches on the rider too. One of the most important thing is to develop the eye and the understanding of what good posture and movement is, as we really don't see the problems anymore as they're everywhere! Then you better understand why you're doing, and HOW to do, exercises, otherwise we all end up at polework clinics racing round thinking we're helping our horse...

IrishMilo

Visit site
Miles is a great name..and he is only a baby..he ll grow into himself and look different again when muscled.

Thank you. It's a combination of two previous greys I've had who I really loved (Milly and Milo!).

Here he is learning to take the rug. Took two 15 minute sessions and he now doesn't bat an eye. Quite boring but also a good reminder that buying a baby is hard but rewarding work.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Am I weird not thinking it's boring? It's probably because I haven't really been around baby horses very much but I find all their early lessons interesting and a reminder of how much the horses I have been around have had to learn. Also how much work goes into them!

Eta - I get that it's probably different when you have done a lot of bringing up young horses :)

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Aw, I remember introducing rugs to my youngster. Sometimes I forget that all of the "civilized" things he does now, as a 3 year old, were once "firsts" that we did together because they're just second nature. It can be a rewarding process.

IrishMilo

Visit site
Just need to share this as his little face is hilarious.

dGlKIXp.png

IrishMilo

Visit site
Little guy is doing great, started doing some ground work inc. poles with him and introduced a bridle which was a complete non drama. He's a bit of a bugger with his feet and me asking him to move out of my space, touched his side and asked him to move over last night and he tried to double barrel me! Lots of work to be done with that. However he's very willing to please and still very foal like in that if he's scared he'll hide behind me. He's insecure but extremely curious!

pkpjQKN.png

7vnm8WE.jpeg

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Little guy is doing great, started doing some ground work inc. poles with him and introduced a bridle which was a complete non drama. He's a bit of a bugger with his feet and me asking him to move out of my space, touched his side and asked him to move over last night and he tried to double barrel me! Lots of work to be done with that. However he's very willing to please and still very foal like in that if he's scared he'll hide behind me. He's insecure but extremely curious!

pkpjQKN.png

7vnm8WE.jpeg

There you go, no big problem with those hocks and more to come. He's going to be ace.

Squeak

Visit site
He's looking loads better already! I still can't get over how much he managed to drop on his way over to you.

IrishMilo

Visit site
Week of firsts for Miles!

First time wearing a bridle, having a roller on and first time letting me put a rug on in the field without being tied up.

Didn't care at all about being 'girthed up'.

vZDsXaD.jpeg

Been doing some really short in hand sessions just getting him moving away from pressure without the cow kicking, and walking over poles as well to build some muscle. Loads better having his feet picked up now - when I first got him he would kick out at me if I wanted them. He's slowly putting on weight and thank god losing his 10cms thick winter coat so he doesn't look like a yak!

FlxF9Xo.jpeg

baTxerg.jpeg

I will be doing everything largely on my own so by the time it comes to me getting on I want him to have seen and done everything.

One thing I teach every single horse I have is to come to the block and he picked it up so quickly - this was his first session where I also gauged how he'd feel about me leaning over a bit. Totally non plussed which bodes well!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
video shows how long his legs are, he is so much improved in the last picture and putting some mice weight on.

Keep up the pictures so we can see his progress.

IrishMilo

Visit site
Dropped Miles off in his new digs yesterday. I'm really happy with it - he's got mates in the field now and it's on a massive hill which will work wonders for his body. It's also right next to a fast road which will be great getting him used to all manner of traffic. I bought this little bugger to sell on as a summer project and I've already decided that will absolutely not be happening because he's so damn cute.

9YhfJlU.png

vlaaeGZ.jpeg

alexomahony

Visit site
He is absolutely gorgeous! Just dont a quick whistle-stop through this thread and he is just gorgeous. Really has that 'puffin' eye... if you get me!

Making me want a youngster now :D