My New Wheels!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Birthday pressie to myself. Which I will be paying off for the next 2 years at least but hey ho! Hope it's worth it.

Introducing.... My new lorry. No name yet so I need inspiration. It's an N reg Mercedes 7.5 tonne lorry. I have never driven anything other than a car so I am slightly terrified. But I did take it out for a short, slow trip this afternoon and lived to tell the tale. I just need to grit my teeth and get on with it!

You can see my lovely horses in the field beyond the wind screen.

35742284_1810293455717394_5973761083045838848_n.jpg

35922809_1810293535717386_8279415981281902592_n.jpg

35882675_1810293619050711_3113625305600753664_n.jpg

Last edited:

Nicnac

Visit site
Manfred. Mine is called Doris Hay :) and previous one was Elsie but yours looks more butch.

Where on earth do you live - it's stunning!

SpringArising

Visit site
That's lovely, and what a beautiful view. Which part of the country are you in?

Also slightly curious as you say you've never driven anything apart from a car - I thought you needed to pass an HGV test for one of those?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
That's lovely, and what a beautiful view. Which part of the country are you in?

Also slightly curious as you say you've never driven anything apart from a car - I thought you needed to pass an HGV test for one of those?

Depends what year OP did her driving test I did mine 1981 and can drive 7.5 tons on my licence.

Cecile

Visit site
Congratulations - what a lovely box, no idea of names my box was called Betsy and yours is not a Betsy :)
I was the same with jitterbugs about driving a box but I just took it out everywhere (Minus horses) for a while
and I mean everywhere and when I drove the car it just felt all wrong, small and awful

Have fun!

EventingMum

Visit site
Happy trucking! We have SORNed Bluebell our current (blue) lorry and will probably sell her on as we're not out competing now :( I'm very upset as we've had such fun in her travelling all over the place and she was built to our specification so suited us down to the ground. Our previous one was unimaginatively called Daphne Daf. Years ago my parents had Eyo an old Morris that was the same age as I was and had the reg no 987EYO - I often wish I'd kept the reg! I was out yesterday taking a horse to the vets and using a trailer really doesn't compare but I can't justify running a lorry just for very occasional use. Is there a name you can make from your lorry reg?

Louby

Visit site
Yeyyyy congratulations! Mine is called Monty Merc :) I found the Mercs take some getting used to but once you get the hang of the upside down gears you will be great.

Bernster

Visit site
You can drive up to 7.5 tonnes on a full UK licence. If you are old enough!

Aye, us oldies do have some advantages! Although like you I was a bit freaked out that I could drive a beast of a 7.5 with no training, but just start slow and careful and it really isn’t anything. You get used to it very quickly. I did use a sat nav which allowed me to input my lorry’s measurements and weight so I knew it wouldn’t send me anywhere too narrow or with a weight restriction. That gave me piece of mind.

Have fun!

ROG

Visit site
Are the mirrors out far enough for you to see completely down each side? - the pic could be deceiving which is why I ask

Is there a lorry driver near you who could help with the driving of it as an adviser in the passenger seat ?

Crackerz

Visit site
Are the mirrors out far enough for you to see completely down each side? - the pic could be deceiving which is why I ask

Is there a lorry driver near you who could help with the driving of it as an adviser in the passenger seat ?

On the mirrors thing, my friend had extra mirrors added which her learner lorry had, helps her loads as she can see so much more!

Congrats on the new wheels! I've had 7.5t all my life until the last 7 or so years because i can't afford my test, i'm now stuck in a 3.5t :(