My *newish* Fat Arab!!

magicchett

Visit site
Hey all, haven’t really had an intro!

so...

*intro*

I have recently taken on a very fat Arab, called Johara. Shes 9yrs old, 14.2 and was stabled at the same yard as Polly many years ago, so i have known her for a while.

When i knew her she was very sweet but fiesty, but since, she was broken, showed and generally ridden into the ground... :s and so has sprouted a few behavioral problems, but nothing to serious. As soon as she stops doing anything, she gets very worried and agitated..etc

Under saddle she is very smart (typical arab) and picks up things quickly.

Overal she has settled in well, found her place in the field, hasnt caused too much trouble, and when you get to know her ,is very sweet and willing
smile.gif

Anywho! here are some piccys! sorry they're fuzzy, i took them on my phone!!!

joharalj4.jpg

johara2su3.jpg

johara3jm4.jpg

johara4qg5.jpg

johara5op5.jpg

joharafieldtv6.jpg

magicchett

Visit site
Thank you!

But doesnt she know it! Very fat!, shes been out of work for two year and had a foal! So shes got a long way to go! I should do a befor and after pic!

Enfys

Visit site
Lovely. My she has got quite a chest on her, and that neck! Never mind, once she gets back into work that'll sort itself out, what are you planning to do with her?

My arab used to fret if he was bored too, so I taught him tricks and he made a few of his own up along the way. He responded very well to clicker training, very fast to learn. He would target obviously, fetch, pick up things, ring a cow bell (that got a bit annoying because whenever he heard anyone on the yard he'd ring and ring until he got some attention) he would also take his rug or saddlecloth off, that was one of his own tricks and it was really irritating, got to be a bit of a comedy act.....cloth on, cloth off and throw it over the door.
I'm a boring arab addict I'm afraid, do you know her breeding?

magicchett

Visit site
I know! you should feel her crest! ekk! The flab around her elbow wobbles!

My other pony was a bit *cant stand still* and i taught her some tricks (we'll two!) shes does kisses and i can tell her to lift her lip, like when they smell, but on command!..but then yes, she does it all the time!

I was teaching Johara kisses, shes got it, but shes a bit rough,..so just needs a bit of tweaking!

How did you teach fetch!!?? Did you throw something and walk over to it, gave a treat, etc??

her breeding: No idea! havnt looked at her passport yet! I have worked for and known the owners for a very long time; i know her direct line...sort of! her mothers home name was Lina, big flea bitten grey, and her sire was our home stallion, Mickey, Ibn Mikan. So i guess hes son of a mikan!! :p

She was put to our friend Darren's stallion, Ivan (Pha Silvern Risalm) you should know of him, he wins everything!!!

The foal was called breeze (Ashlyngs Silver Jahaa) and as far as i can tell from Arabian Lines she came 5th (out of 5) at Hocon June last year as a yearling..hopeful she will follow in her fathers footsteps!

Pasha

Visit site
She is gorgeous!!! My arab has a tendancy to be a bit of a fatty if I let him but i'd rather that than have to pump him full of food - and on the plus side his cheap to keep!!

Do you know her breeding?

Eceni

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

How did you teach fetch!!?? Did you throw something and walk over to it, gave a treat, etc??

[/ QUOTE ]

REad ALex Kurland's books on clicker training. And see her website clicker training

she's coming to the UK this summer if you get hooked (if you try it, you will)

E

magicchett

Visit site
see above;

il have a look at her passport tonight when i get back!

What do you guys do with your arabs out of, schooling, jumping, x country..etc have you found things that there not so great at. One of my friends back at the old yard's arab was a great jumper! (not the woolen ones!)

Im not intending to do lots of hard work on her (although i do want to really improve our ridding), just happy hacking and some schooling and get her happy under saddle again! Im just going to see what she's happy to do and only push it a little bit (just to make sure her minds stays fresh!)

Enfys

Visit site
Thank you Eceni, that was just the person I would have recommended.
The book I had (lent to someone, never returned
mad.gif
) was most informative, NOT a trick training book but very readable with lots of case histories.

Shame I'm not still in the UK, I would have very much liked to have seen Alex Kurland.