My next equine project horse

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I know you have another life, AA, (like work, for instance, boo), but we're waiting here for a report here on Alice's exploits on Saturday, seeing as she has been mentioned in despatches on a certain ID stallion's FB page :).

Alice is delighted that people want to know how she fared in her first show class, Ted is furious because he hates not being in the limelight, be it for good or more normally, bad reasons.

I was desperate to get her out for a school well before the West Midlands ID Show on 16th July which is a show I am really looking forward to, and we always support the series of 4 local shows that run in June and July so we headed off for the Small Hunter open class at the first show on Saturday. It is testament to the temperament that the stallion, Avanti Amorous Archie puts into his stock in that Alice had not been ridden for 8 days pre show due to the extreme heat. We were confident she would behave and in a comfortable and sensible 20 degrees instead of the 32 degrees we had just 48 hours beforehand, we loaded her and the pocket rocket cob up and set off. It was treat to be going just 3 miles to the show ground.

She behaved beautifully throughout but got very tired very quickly, she didn't go too well for the ride judge, but neither did any of her rivals, but at least she was just green rather than rude which the others were. She deserved her first place pull in after the initial go round and I was very happy when she held her position. It was a poor class but it was a quiet start for her first time out.

20170624_100023_zpsbigu860s.jpg

The confo judge really liked her and said exactly the same as Robert Oliver did, in that 20 years ago she would have been the perfect small hunter, but today at county level the smalls are all fat small TB's with little bone but immense quality. There is plenty of fun to have locally which is also more affordable so that is what we will do with her.

We were undecided whether to take her back for the hunter championship, especially as she didn't even have the energy to prick her ears, so we tossed a coin to decide ice cream van or championship and championship won so she was got ready again, much to her disgust. The 6 horses were kept in canter for ages but my rider was crafty and managed to do a tiny circle as the gallop on was called for which saved another lap of the ring and Alice had just enough left to produce a reasonable gallop. There is a lovely picture of her in gallop but I haven't bought it yet so can't post it.

We were more than happy to get reserve, the champion was a very nice young heavyweight who dwarfed little Alice.
20170624_121657%201_zpsa9xniblz.jpg

We came home with a good idea of her weaknesses, she has little to no confidence in the ring with others and she did not enjoy being ridden by the judge. She is next out on the 9th and will have been ridden by anyone I can persuade to get on her in the interim. Confidence will only come with outings. The outing on the 9th is very low key but has an exceptionally good ride judge so that will be an ideal pre Irish Draught Show experience for her.

Ted came back into work on Monday after several weeks off as his rider jetted around on endless holidays. There are plans for Ted to have a little moment in the show ring, that is subject to me being able to get his feathers off again without a visit to A and E or any more breakages in the clipper department. It will also depend on whether I can catch the little oik, who is back to his old tricks. Twenty minutes this morning and did I want to fling the head collar at his ample arse, I was late to work.

So watch this space and maybe there will be a plucked, preened and polished Ted The Twit strutting his way around a hunter ring somewhere local. Lets hope the judges have a sense of humour and the class is after lunch so they might be mildly squiffy on the hospitality. I am sure any fellow competitors will be delighted to have Ted thundering up their rear ends because once he is on a roll he takes some stopping.

Roxylola

Visit site
She is next out on the 9th and will have been ridden by anyone I can persuade to get on her in the interim.
I volunteer as tribute!

She looks cracking, and I know what I would rather have to take hunting! That champ really is a large though!
Lovely to hear an update on the toddlers they are both super. Breeding does go a long way bit it is a well brought on five year old who can go out after 8 days off and behave and handler rider etc all deserve an awful lot of credit for that

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Thanks for the report, AA, you write so well. Wow, Alice looks fab, she has really muscled up, hasn't she. Many congrats all round for her success.

Ted needs to agree to being trimmed and preened so that he can go and win some pocket money of his own, I (who knows nothing about showing) think he would be great as a hunter.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Ted has had a warm up for his debut in the show ring tomorrow, with a day of dressage at Allens Hill. Yet again his sheet was covered in 'hurried' and 'tense'. I doubt Frankel could go as fast around a 20 x 60 arena. There are pictures of the speedy beast but with photobucket defunct I can't post them.

Sack the groom, that'll be me, for leaving him plaited and with strict instructions of no rubbing. So tomorrow our local show will see Ted take on Alice in the novice ridden hunter. The judge is in for a treat, shaken not stirred by Ted Two Splints, yes he has chucked another one to match the first. Followed by 'make me, I am in a sulk' Adorable Alice. But worry not, the poor judge is also heading for a ride on the maxi cob pocket rocket Martha. Now she went to Hanbury last week and was last and the judge was rather rude. Martha bears a good grudge so it could all get messy for tomorrows unsuspecting ride judge.

These local shows have to be supported or they will fold, lots of fun will be had, perhaps not by the judge but I am sure she will have ridden worse !

Clueless

Visit site
Hi best of luck today, I love the updates, so please don't stop... hope the photo frustrations don't influence you. I'm sure Ted will redeem himself, one way or another. And Alice and Martha will shine. Do have a lovely day, and I'm sure the judges will smile on you all.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
We have had a lovely day, but with Ted and Alice there is always a caveat or three. Ted was spark out in the barn at 5.30am and all of his plaits left in from yesterday were pointing in the wrong direction and he had made a nest in the woodchip and was filthy. After I dragged him out of his pit and put him the stable with clear instructions to remain standing, some hope, I got the pocket rocket cob ready. then back to Ted who was flat out again snoring gently. I needed to leave by 7.30 and was soon realising Ted doesn't have a 7.30am in him, Alice was stressing because someone, ok, me had smudged her toenail paint onto her stockings, and the pocket rocket was moaning she hadn't had a big enough breakfast to last her all day.

With everyone and the entire content of the yard squished into the box we set off for a lovely small countryside show. Confident there would only be 6 or less in the hunters and much the same in the cobs we would be home for lunch. I judged both classes in 2015 and there were very sparse entries, so expected the same this year and it would be an ideal school for the young horses and an easy qualification for a cob championship later in the year for the cob.

Never assume I am often heard to say, maybe I should remember my own words, as 16 hunters crammed into a smallish ring and Alice's eyes came out on stalks and Ted screamed 'PARTY' and started dancing and prancing. At least they didn't scream at one another, that was a bonus. 16 dropped to 14 on the go round as 2 got sent out. I was impressed with Alice who didn't flinch as one of the unruly ones careered past her on the inside in a volley of bucks. Ted also took no notice and kept his canter well. The ground was bone hard and the judges didn't ask for any gallop.

After the go round I had Alice in a possible 4th but she was pulled 2nd and Ted was in a very credible 6th with some nice horses below him. From a distance Ted does look impressive, not so close up. The ride judge rode all the horses beautifully and most went better for her than their owners. I later found out she was a work rider for a racing yard. She had real feel and the young horses had a fabulous experience under her. Ted loved her and produced some super canter. I was absolutely delighted when Alice held 2nd and Ted came from 6th to 4th, those splints didn't get in his way !

The hunter championship was different, 8 horses forward from 4 classes which included the hunter ponies, flat and worker plus the open hunter and worker. Not something I had seen before, the open horse won and the flat hunter pony was reserve, Alice was given a 3rd place. She was very tired and hot but tried hard, so tired that when she came out of the ring she attempted to lie down and roll in the collecting ring ! I had planned to hold her and watch the next class which was the cobs, but she made it clear that unless she could have a lie down ringside she wasn't staying so got put back on the truck whilst Martha strutted her stuff. Ted had scoffed all his haylage and half of hers too, so Alice was tired and hungry, not a good combination in Alice land.

The day was a good school for Alice who heads to the West Midlands Irish Draught Show next Sunday, the show I would really like her to do well at. Ted might go hunter showing again if something suitable can be found, I do have to be very careful about who rides him, but I have decided to let him return to full feather to protect his legs. Sadly clipped out has exposed some very pink skin which is showing signs of sunburn so he has to spend all day everyday in the shade. I alreadyhave one with LV and there is no way I would allow Ted to possibly suffer the same. It is a horrid disease.

The wonderful Martha, got off the truck having stood there alone, for over two hours, walked up to the ring, no warm up time but went in without a bother, went nicely and won easily qualifying for the four villages cob championship which is held in August.

A wonderful weekend with special friends and generous horses, I am so happy and grateful, very sun burnt and totally knackered.

Leo Walker

Visit site
AAs pics from the show. Hopefully I have the captions right!

Alice with the ride judge:

19748614_10154892111868667_8694139761022446694_n.jpg

Alice stood up for the judge:

19748723_10154892111753667_1687671886561705556_n.jpg

Ted under the ride judge:

19875527_10154892111663667_7842958858009286778_n.jpg

A very cross Martha cantering:

19959046_10154892112103667_7252019299158726060_n.jpg

Martha after the class:

19554621_10154892112083667_5053058522481015303_n.jpg

jnb

Visit site
Well done, AA.
was it a cob type class or show cob class? I'm thinking this was Newport show, and not noticed a cob class there before. - correct me if I'm wrong :) I would have taken my dear departed show cob there many a time if they'd had a show cob class - but I used to check every year and there was never a cob class.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Well done, AA.
was it a cob type class or show cob class? I'm thinking this was Newport show, and not noticed a cob class there before. - correct me if I'm wrong :) I would have taken my dear departed show cob there many a time if they'd had a show cob class - but I used to check every year and there was never a cob class.

Cob type, darling mardy Martha is no show cob ! she has windgalls the size of rugby balls, a belly that swings in the wind and a sense of humour that only I can love !

Our 4 local shows have a cob championship series for cob types, hairy, trimmed or hogged any colour and shape. Martha is plaited with tiny plaits on top of her massive crest so they don't show up. It is all good fun as long as no one gets near the end with teeth.

McFluff

Visit site
Lovely update and fabulous horses. Ted looks great with the ride judge.
And glad to hear that I'm not the only one with a horse who a) messes up plaits so that your plan of using them two days in a row doesn't quite work and b) doesn't do mornings.

View

Visit site
Wonderful report and pictures. AA, as always I was there with you every step of the way while reading.

Don't know about the jelly, but definitely ice cream all round for tea in this weather.

SEL

Visit site
Ted and Alice look great in those photos with the judge on board. When helping my friend show her horse (I had the important position of Chief Horse Holder) I always had huge respect for the riding judge who had to get on board whatever showed up. I bet your two were a breath of fresh air compared to some they have to ride!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I wouldn't recognise that picture as being Ted. What a long way he has come. He is a very happy boy because his friend Dim Tim has come back home. So he has someone to play with again. Alice refuses to play, far too busy eating.

JenHunt

Visit site
I wouldn't recognise that picture as being Ted. What a long way he has come. He is a very happy boy because his friend Dim Tim has come back home. So he has someone to play with again. Alice refuses to play, far too busy eating.

typical ID!! How come Tim is home?! hope he hasn't blotted his copy books!!

what a lovely update, you must be really proud of all three horses :) they all look fab in those pictures!