My next equine project horse

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Efforts to hide my project horse from the OH have failed, so everyone can see him now. Will have to cook a good meal tonight for him, he will come round when he is full !!

I think he could make a police horse in due course. Constructive criticism please. His feet will be done asap, but he is unhandled todate apart from sedation to geld yesterday. 10 months old by coloured vanner out of pure Shire mare. It's a sad example of the times we are in with horses. He cost less to buy than the tonne of hay will cost to feed him over the next few weeks.

Ted5june12002.jpg

TED031.jpg

Blitzen

Visit site
Naawww, he is lovely! What's his name? He looks like a lovely sort, got a nice kind face. Just the sort I like! x

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Absolutely gorgeous. He has a lovely, intelligent face. Seems like he's landed on his feet too, lucky boy. Can't really see from the pics in terms of his conformation but nothing's jumping out and he looks pretty well put together. He also looks in reasonable shape too. What's his background?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Looks a nice sort, got a good shoulder & well let down hocks.
Something I'd like as a store for the future as could poss be anything at present.

Have you got his card marked for Melton or Imber Court? :)

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Oh I like him very much, he looks nicely put together as well as being an attractive boy. It is so sad seeing all these horses go for pittance, I really wish this over breeding would stop too.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I like him - his breeding shines through.
He could well make a police horse in the future - did you see the coloured on the Jubilee coverage today? Feet like dinner-plates!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I want to know how you hid that from your OH :D !!,

He's gorgeous!

Gave him lots of jobs away from the yard, and agreed to have a holiday this year and I am cooking something other than beans on toast now. He is always happy when the oven is on rather than the microwave !

I am really chuffed with the horse this evening, he has let me scratch his neck and fiddle with his mane whilst he had a little grub. The horse came from breeders that used to have a lucrative market for big horses, many went out to America, but the recession has put paid to that. I actually bought him unseen after a friend had seen him.

There is a previous thread that quotes me telling somebody they are barmy to buy unseen -I take the comment back !

I have him in a tiny paddock with a leanto, it's just starting tipping down so he has gone and parked under cover. I think he is going to be a bit of a character. He wouldn't be everybodies cup of tea but if I don't make a mess of him he could easily make me happy or somebody else.

emmab13

Visit site
He positively screams SHIRE to me, from the knees/hocks down. However his head is decidedly more defined and he seems a lot smaller than our Shire yearling, who is quite scary and as tall as his 2 year old half brother!

What a lovely thing to have in 'store', I am quite jealous. My only consolation is my own half bred due next year, Shire x ISH!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
He is about 15.2hh. By a piebald gypsy vanner type stallion out of a registered Shire mare. Judging by the length of his limb I think he will easily be 17+ when he is done.

As you say he has followed his dam side, his movement is Shire at the moment, but he is so gangly his legs go in every direction, he did manage to trot in a balanced fashion this evening and looked lovely. I am pleased you thought his head was reasonable, when his topline strengthens and he gets rid of the ewe look, his head might look even better.

It will be a long old project, but hopefully very rewarding. I am really pleased many people liked him, I thought you might laugh !

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
why on earth would someone laugh at your choice?> i am not a heavy cob person but he looks a very good type to me and i really like him... love his name it suits him, good luck with him:D

Native Speaker

Visit site
It will be a long old project, but hopefully very rewarding. I am really pleased many people liked him, I thought you might laugh !

Laugh? :eek: Heck, no! What ever made you think we'd laugh (maybe laugh with you, but certainly not at you! ;))??!!:D

He's a grand looking sort, with heaps going for him! You do realise now that updates and piccies will be reqiuired on a regular basis! ;):D

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
He is gorgeous! I've got a very soft spot for anything shire-ish, having once owned a full shire, black with white socks and much like your boy. Looking forward to updates on his progress.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Laugh? :eek: Heck, no! What ever made you think we'd laugh (maybe laugh with you, but certainly not at you! ;))??!!:D

He's a grand looking sort, with heaps going for him! You do realise now that updates and piccies will be reqiuired on a regular basis! ;):D

This will probably be it, I can't catch him !

The plan was to put him with my Amorous Archie yearling filly, she will soon tell him I am totally the best mummy ever and well worth being with. But........she managed to kick the gate post yesterday and is lame.

So it's plan B - sitting in the paddock and letting curiosity take over. He is a kind soul, it won't take too long I hope.

Native Speaker

Visit site
Plan B sounds good! I read many years ago in an old horsemanship book (forgot it's title long since! :rolleyes:) that sitting in the field, with a good book and a lorry load of time and patience, will help catch the most cautious of horses.:D

Don't know what your weather forecast is like for tomorrow, but I'd take a set of waterproofs as well, just to be on the safe side! ;)

Updates, please! ;):D

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Plan B sounds good! I read many years ago in an old horsemanship book (forgot it's title long since! :rolleyes:) that sitting in the field, with a good book and a lorry load of time and patience, will help catch the most cautious of horses.:D

Don't know what your weather forecast is like for tomorrow, but I'd take a set of waterproofs as well, just to be on the safe side! ;)

Well it worked in the stable yesterday, he was very interested in my gardeners world magazine. He could have stayed in but I think they are better out after gelding, and if we had to catch him, he can be driven into the cattle shed.

Buds_mum

Visit site
I really like him, my boy is out of a vanner stallion so of course i'm not biast ;) But really I think he's a handsome chap :) Good luck with him!

AdorableAlice

Visit site

Plan B worked, he stood behind me reading my book over my shoulder whilst I stroked his face.

Caught him (he has a little bit of string on his headcollar) and led him into box, where he ate from my hand and promptly lay down and is now snoring.

Quantock-cob

Visit site
If your OH objects too much and he is evicted then send him down to me (Ted, that is, not your OH!). He is perfect...just my type :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
If your OH objects too much and he is evicted then send him down to me (Ted, that is, not your OH!). He is perfect...just my type :)

Well, you will need to like snoring because Ted snores big time. OH needs a new home, snores too but not as bad as Ted. OH produces more washing too !

I took my deckchair into the box and after 5 minutes over him came and sniffed me all over, I managed to tickle his nose and a tiny scratch on his neck. He keeps doing massive gulps. Then he settled, rested a leg and stood over the top of me dribbling in my hair.

He was sound asleep stood up, and I dare not move a muscle. It all became a bit alarming when his knees started to buckle though so I did wake him up, to my utter amazement his took 4 steps backwards, buckled completely and down he went. He stayed on his chest for a few minutes just looking at me and still doing big gulps, then he started yawning and keeled over completely on to his side. Then the snoring started big time, really loud. I honestly started to wonder if he was alright !

I find it most odd he would get down in a 12x12 box with me in it when he is so terrified of me. He woke up after 15 mins or so, yawned and tucked into his hay.

If anybody has done horses this nervous I would very much welcome some guidance.