My next equine project horse

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Ted2005.jpg

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Very nice!

He will be when I have convinced him life is worth living, when he has trebled in size, eaten me out of house and home, when he has been clipped to within an inch of his life and when a step ladder has been found to get on him.

Quite a project ! it's going to be interesting watching him grow up and hopefully become a trusting gentle giant.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Ted had his brave hat on tonight, he came marching over to me so I didn't turn my back to him, just made sure I didn't look at his eye.

He was definetely pleased to see me , no gulping or trembling whilst he had a soft brush. I took his plaits out of his mane and tidied his dreadlocks up too.

He made the decision to stay with me in the middle of the paddock.

To say I am chuffed is an under statement.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
It is very tiring being a Little Ted. I found him fast asleep under the tree house this morning, he let me get very close before getting up.

Nothing done with him today, he had his breakfast and went back to bed, stretching out in the sunshine.
tiredted003.jpg

Moomin1

Visit site
Aww he looks lovely. Glad he has fallen on such a caring home.:)

It's so sad that certain members of community feel the need to breed gypsy vanners with poor conformation. Good to see someone cares though to provide them with a nice life!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Aww he looks lovely. Glad he has fallen on such a caring home.:)

It's so sad that certain members of community feel the need to breed gypsy vanners with poor conformation. Good to see someone cares though to provide them with a nice life!

Thank you, very kind words.

He didn't come from the travelling community. His breeders made a lot of money with this type of cross (cob on Shire) until the recession hit the States. The majority of the stock were going out to the USA for around 3k each. His breeders did cut back but of course, the market got worse and continues to get worse, hence the horse coming to me for a song.

I am not sure he would be classed as a vanner, he will top out at over 17.2h and is destined to be a big mans hunter in a slow country or possibly a police horse. Or, if he wriggles his way into my heart, he will be an old ladies plod round the village, possibly in harness.

Do you think his conformation is terrible ? his ewe neck will come right easily and the slope on his pastern is an illusion due to the length of his feet. No one has commented on his conformation yet so it's interesting to hear what thoughts anyone may have.

We had a little set back this morning when he got frightened during a leading lesson and knocked me flying, but he didn't rip away from me as I lost my balance. This evening made up for that blip, he allowed me to run my hands down to his feet on the front end and down to the canons on the hinds. I asked him to lift his front feet for me and he did, all be it for a few seconds only. He didn't panic and I think I will be on target for a foot trim by the end of the month for the front pair at least.

He is a funny little chap, I took a bottle of mane/tail spray in tonight, intending to spray it onto a soft cloth and try to lift a bit of the scum off his coat. He was fascinated at the spray and got his nose on it and the cloth, I was expecting it to worry him. More progess made.

Moomin1

Visit site
Thank you, very kind words.

He didn't come from the travelling community. His breeders made a lot of money with this type of cross (cob on Shire) until the recession hit the States. The majority of the stock were going out to the USA for around 3k each. His breeders did cut back but of course, the market got worse and continues to get worse, hence the horse coming to me for a song.

I am not sure he would be classed as a vanner, he will top out at over 17.2h and is destined to be a big mans hunter in a slow country or possibly a police horse. Or, if he wriggles his way into my heart, he will be an old ladies plod round the village, possibly in harness.

Do you think his conformation is terrible ? his ewe neck will come right easily and the slope on his pastern is an illusion due to the length of his feet. No one has commented on his conformation yet so it's interesting to hear what thoughts anyone may have.

We had a little set back this morning when he got frightened during a leading lesson and knocked me flying, but he didn't rip away from me as I lost my balance. This evening made up for that blip, he allowed me to run my hands down to his feet on the front end and down to the canons on the hinds. I asked him to lift his front feet for me and he did, all be it for a few seconds only. He didn't panic and I think I will be on target for a foot trim by the end of the month for the front pair at least.

He is a funny little chap, I took a bottle of mane/tail spray in tonight, intending to spray it onto a soft cloth and try to lift a bit of the scum off his coat. He was fascinated at the spray and got his nose on it and the cloth, I was expecting it to worry him. More progess made.

No not at all!! Sorry AdorableAlice I realise when I read back that it sounded wrong the way I typed it! I didn't mean it to sound it!..

I think he looks a poor shape at the moment but he doesn't look to have naturally bad conformation at all and I am sure he will fill out to be beautiful!! It sounds like you are spending some really quality time with him and he is very very lucky to have landed with you! :):)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I am thinking about putting a lightweight soft felt pair of front boots on Ted to get him more used to having some sensation of feeling on his legs. Only in the stable and only for a few hours at a time.

Any thoughts please. I am hoping it may help me progress the need to get his feet trimmed. I am aiming to get the fronts done asap.

Queenbee

Visit site
AA, just had a quick catch up, things seem to be going grand :D, loving the updates and the pictures... they make me feel warm and fuzzy :D:D all I can say is you're doing really well and its paying off, with regards to the trim, I would absolutely sedate him for the first time, to help take the edge off the experience as he is so nervous xx

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Had a bit of a break through with noise desensitising Ted through default really.

I gave him a pink himalyan salt lick and an apple likit toy this morning, he was very interested but when they banged the stable wall he had a fit of the vapours which I had expected would happen. I had decided to leave him inside as he gets so cold when he is soaked, he has his summer coat and it is very fine for his type.

This evening there was plenty of banging coming from his box and he was having wail of a time with his toys. The interesting bit came when the fork fell down with a clatter just outside the box and when I dropped the brush whilst grooming him - he did not flinch, so I dropped it again and again all round him - nothing, no reaction at all. I gave the stable door a gentle bang shut, he didn't bother.

I am rather pleased with my training by default and it's going onto to his CV in case he applies for a job in the Police !

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Whilst you have all been enjoying this glorious summers day winning ribbons for synchronised swimming and white water dressaging with your lovely horses, Little Ted has been achieving his own highs today.

He won first prize for investigating the inside of a plastic bag with his nose and then allowing the bag to venture to his shoulder with no problems at all. I must add at this point I am not into pratparelli training, the bag had chicken food in and ended up in my pocket, falling out whilst I searched for a mane comb. My pockets are always full of generally disgusting or gone off things !

Ted was interested in the bag and it became an impromtu schooling tool and he was not bothered at all by it on his neck and chest, although he did turn his nose up at the gone off cucumber in the bag.

He won another first prize for being unfazed by the OH power washing a stable, his watched the whole procedure over his door. He then walked past all the kit on his way to the paddock without a fuss.

Our Ted is not too fond of bad weather, he likes comfort and loves his stable, so as the rain lashed down yet again I called him to the gate to come in, he cantered over, thrust his head into my hands and led in quietly.

This evening he stood at his door watching the OH use a big and very noisy strimmer, until tiredness took over and he went to sleep resting his nose on the top of the door.

He is getting there guys !

Kallibear

Visit site
He's so lovely :D I really like his type!

Sounds like he's well on his way. They come on so quickly when they're little and curious!

Just a word of warming: they go backwards when they join friends, so you really want to have sorted before he joins the others. As mean as it sounds, when you're their only friend in the world, they're much quicker settling! And before you take the headcollar off (even when they're catching perfectly) spend a week putting a second headcollar over the top: Roo initially thought it was the scariest thing in the world, having a headcollar put on and off! :eek: I maybe should have thought of that BEFORE i whipped his headcollar off :eek:

Queenbee

Visit site
OP, I'm so glad I came on here for a read tonight, the things you are posting are wonderful and warming to read and they remind me of my baby and his inquisitiveness and his general lovely nature and I am thankful that I have him, Ted is very lucky and doing fantastically well, I invested in a spacehopper for Ben he loves to kick it and fling it around in his stable and the field, endless hours of fun, I also used it as an excuse to lob it over his stable wall into his stable, and balance it on his back and let it drop down, I'm sure Ted would love one x

SusannaF

susannaforrest.wordpress.com
Ted definetely wants the closeness, he does not take his eyes off me when I am doing everything else and if I stay still in his company he is almost in my pocket.

A couple of years ago I watched the Redwings rehab team work with a very scared horse who'd been rescued from Spindles Farm. He had obviously been abused and they had been working very slowly with him for months, but what struck me was that despite that and despite the very strong instinct to run, he also really wanted to be with the humans. He let them touch him for the first time, unsedated, when I was there and it was an amazing moment.

The rehab officer said that it's easiest to work with feral horses because they are actually very quick to trust humans. I think all horses are, unless we bugger them up with harsh treatment.

Ted sounds like a sweety. You are going to be so proud when he's on patrol with a police officer on his back :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
A couple of years ago I watched the Redwings rehab team work with a very scared horse who'd been rescued from Spindles Farm. He had obviously been abused and they had been working very slowly with him for months, but what struck me was that despite that and despite the very strong instinct to run, he also really wanted to be with the humans. He let them touch him for the first time, unsedated, when I was there and it was an amazing moment.

The rehab officer said that it's easiest to work with feral horses because they are actually very quick to trust humans. I think all horses are, unless we bugger them up with harsh treatment.

Ted sounds like a sweety. You are going to be so proud when he's on patrol with a police officer on his back :)

Have a feeling he might not make it to the police, he will be on patrol with me, I will buy him one of those hi-viz vests though ! Pictures taken this morning, he looks better for a bit of grub.
17june12006.jpg

17june12009.jpg

AdorableAlice

Visit site
He's so lovely :D I really like his type!

Sounds like he's well on his way. They come on so quickly when they're little and curious!

Just a word of warming: they go backwards when they join friends, so you really want to have sorted before he joins the others. As mean as it sounds, when you're their only friend in the world, they're much quicker settling! And before you take the headcollar off (even when they're catching perfectly) spend a week putting a second headcollar over the top: Roo initially thought it was the scariest thing in the world, having a headcollar put on and off! :eek: I maybe should have thought of that BEFORE i whipped his headcollar off :eek:

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. He hasn't got any friends other than me at the moment. His field buddy to be, (a yearling) is in the box at the moment with her leg in a Robert Jones), I bred her and I am hoping her confidence brushes off on Ted. He is totally besotted with being groomed, no need to hold him, he just leans into the brush, trembles at the knees and pulls funny faces. If I do him the field and try to walk away he glues himself to the brush and comes with me.

He has had his first bit is discipline having got a little rude over his bucket feed and having a shove at me. He accepted a sharp 'no' and a finger in his chest without getting upset. He took a step back whilst I tipped the feed. Even though he is nervous I have, from the word go, insisted on manners and he does step back on request as well as wait in an open doorway. My pet hate is horses that crowd and push at people and doorways.

This picture was taken yesterday and is the only one that shows him with his neck forwards rather than the ewe neck shape of up and back. I have no idea why he has the habit of drawing his neck up and back, I suppose it could be a nervous stance, but it makes him look awful. He will have a decent length of rein when he can relax his neck. Please don't look at his feet - I am working on it !

It has come to light that he is only 9 months old, I thought he was 10 months. He is 15.2h now, just how big is he going to finish up at !
Tedafter2weeks003.jpg

Queenbee

Visit site
Ha ha, I remember when you started this thread and were saying he's going to be a future police horse... Meh! I knew he'd chosen to be with you! That dude is going nowhere! :D I am loving these updates, he's really fallen on his hooves with you as his owner and I suspect that while you will insist on manners you will let him get away with murder in his own little way ;) he's really coming around isn't he, it's lovely to hear about, keep on with the updates x

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Those of you that read the 'Midnight Ramblers' thread will remember my smallest paddock has a footpath on it. This paddock is next to the yard and is where Ted is living.

I spotted Ted staring into the distance this evening and realised there was someone using the path several fields away.

Sure enough 3 male marathon runners in very short shorts and rather nice legs ! appeared through the hunting gate and into Ted's paddock.

Ted was stood right on the path, I thought he would clear off at speed, but no, he just stood and watched them run towards him. The runners dropped to a walk and went to walk around the horse. To my astonishment Ted went to the runners and investigated each of them, he even allowed himself to be touched.

The runners were laughing and called over to me - isn't he big - I thought you haven't seen anything yet - come back next year !! anyway I watched the short shorts disappear into the distance and told Ted he must not talk to semi naked strangers !

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Three weeks have passed now and the catching problems are no more, this picture is Ted demanding to be caught. (excuse the docks, they are on the to do list), I still cannot face him in the field, that really spooks him, so I continue to stand with my back to him, I call him and he runs over to me. he is a big boy and I just have to hope he remembers to stop, so far so good !

23062012001.jpg

After 2 lots of worming, linseed in his feed, a de-lice and a little elbow grease he now looks a bit nicer. Do you guys think he has improved ?, seeing him everyday it is hard to see the differences. I am still really pleased with him, he is intelligent, very kind, learns quickly and although nervous he is easy to deal with as long as I think and do everything slowly.
23062012012.jpg

Ibblebibble

Visit site
he's looking fab AA:) although i got slightly waylaid reading about men in short shorts................ i don't suppose you happened to get nay pictures of them........

AdorableAlice

Visit site
he's looking fab AA:) although i got slightly waylaid reading about men in short shorts................ i don't suppose you happened to get nay pictures of them........

Excellent excuse for not strimming the docks, I could lie in wait, disguised by the docks, for the short shorts to jog across again, with my camera in a prone position, I might get some very interesting pictures !