My old boy died this morning - feeling rather low

danda

Visit site
He is gone and no more pain, so I should be glad for him. Many people here have given me good ideas for care for him with his various different problems which have helped but this last difficulty was too much and nothing ahead of him but going fast downhill in ever growing discomfort. Feel so bad and for everyone in my family he was just a horse so no big deal. Just wanted to contact someone who would understand.

Fun Times

Visit site
They leave a huge hole behind. I have often thought that losing them is so hard, its a real physical pain. Allow yourself time to grieve and time will be your friend.

pennyturner

Visit site
It's OK to feel sad.
You did the right thing for him. Remember all the fun you had when he was younger, and how much pain you have spared him at the end.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
No more suffering for him which is good but you can still be sad for yourself. It's hard, especially when to us they are one of the family but to others they were "only" a pet. Try to think of your happy memories with your old boy, you'll always have those. Wishing you well, your own pain will pass eventually and you'll think of him and smile.

tamsinkb

Visit site
OP I am so sorry for your loss...as NellRosk said, he wasn't just a horse...he was your horse, who you invested inordinate amounts of love, care and time into. Be kind to yourself and remember you always tried your very best for him and no animal could ask more of their human than that. Tx

kez81

Visit site
Sorry for your loss. We all understand your pain here and we are here if you need us. Give yourself some time to heal, and chocolate, lots of chocolate xx

Micropony

Visit site
I remember when I lost my big boy, someone non-horsey said "ooh I know just how you feel, I remember when I had my cat put down...".

I have had a much loved cat put down, and I have had a much loved member of my immediate family die, and I know which one was closest to losing my horse.

Other horsey people understand, we've been there and it's a proper bereavement, except that you have to choose it for them as your last kindness. So sorry for your loss xxx

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
So sorry for your troubles and so pleased to hear of how you thought of him and not yourself at the end. Those without animals, especially horses will never understand, which is their misfortune, feel sorry for them not having the enriched life which you have. Take time to remember him in better times.

BuzzyBea

Visit site
It's heartbreaking to lose a horse that you devote so much of your time and heart to. Sadly people without horses have trouble understanding this :(
It takes time but it is important to grieve, however know that it was the right thing to end his pain when it got too much.
Thinking of you and understanding your pain as we lost our special boy about 6 weeks ago.

fatpiggy

Visit site
What a shame, sadly that's animals for you - they bust your wallet and break your heart. It will be 3 years at the end of this month since I let my old girl go. Most of the time I'm ok, but even now, sometimes I just can't look at her picture on the wall, and I find myself apologising for doing what I did. Quite often I feel she is standing right beside me, I can almost feel her solidly by my shoulder and if I turned I could rub her fluffy forelock just like I used to. I also pity people who have never had the joy and pleasure of owning an animal. Animals don't judge you, and they don't bitch about you behind your back. That is why it hurts so much when they leave us.

frostyfingers

Visit site
No such thing as "just a horse" - friend, companion, listener, comfort - they're all those things and more. It's so very painful but in time the good memories will overcome the sad ones and you'll be able to remember him with joy and thanks that you had him and he had you.