My old pony - long

Noodles_3

Visit site
This is a bit pointless and I really don't want it to be seen as advertising because I'm not, I just want to try make this a happy ending for my old pony.

Bit of background info is that I took a 4yo welsh sec d mare on loan back in 2010 and she was basically a hat rack, big wormy belly and had had a foal then been chucked out in the field. She had been hacked out previous to this and apparently been on a few 'fun rides' but nothing else and I didn't really know her history. Anyway I had lost all my confidence with horses by the time I got her and her breed, condition and age wasn't the best combination for me to take on but we kind of clicked and had a massive bond. Her condition improved greatly even though I had her through a hurendous winter! Admittingly, I didn't ride her that much as she was quite nervous and I was at a DIY yard with 3 other people with know one else around much if I wanted to ride and have some 'back up support'. The days I did ride her she was a good girl, just very unsure and a little spooky, nothing major. Even though our riding wasn't going great places we had a great bond out of the saddle and if you could say a horse loved you, I think Annie did because she was like my shadow, a big pet dog if you like :)

I am trying to cut a very long story short by the way so bear with me! Unfortunately the loan came to an end as I was struggling with my finances, I was preparing to buy her but overall I decided it was best if I didn't. Things just weren't going my way :( the last day I saw her I hugged her in the field and promised her I'd own her one day. As I got in my car to drive away she ran along the fence neighing and calling to me, something she had never done before and my heart literally broke, I was in tears. After all, she was going back to her original owner to be sold anyway, making it more unbearable.

Anyway she was sold on and I didn't hear anything for a while until a friend of a friend posted some pictures of Annie on Facebook, being ridden. Complete with loads of unnecessary tack that she didn't need. I just rode her in a snaffle! My friend said she had seen Annie and although she looked well, she seemed unhappy. I later started hearing stories that Annie had been rearing, bolting and depositing her rider as much as she could. She was then sold on again. And again. And again and again. Until she ended up at the owner that I had loaned her from, for sale at £500. The owner originally wanted me to buy her at 2k when i had her! Anyway I went to see her and tried to tell myself not to get excited as there is no way I could take ownership of her. So I went to see her and her owner asked if I'd like to ride her. I said yes so hopped on board and well, she just felt like a ticking time bomb but I was calm and sat quiet and encouraged her to walk on. She felt so frightened and was snorting and prancing. Unfortunately my confidence wouldn't hold out so I turned her around and out of the blue she reared vertically with me!
I burst into tears as she just didn't seem like the donkey of a pony I used to have. I bad been told she had had vet checks and teeth, back/tack etc all done so that it was down to her new found behaviour.

After this I walked away because as much as I wanted her I couldn't face the fact that my confidence that was in tatters may potentially ruin her even more if I took her on again. She was sold on to a novice lady who knew her issues but kept her as a big pet. I went to visit her and she seemed happy and well looked after. The lady had told me she had asked an instructor to come out and see Annie to try get her going again but in the lady's words she had turned into a 'wild beast' and wouldn't even allow anyone near her with tack and once tacked up just shook like a leaf.
A few months down the line Annie was sadly for sale again. This time to a woman who had bought her for her son and had planned to drive her. I didn't hear anything again until the woman had contacted me to say she had sold her on as her son wasn't interested. I just wanted to cry, my poor Annie had been passed from pillow to post. If only I had bought her!!

Anyway one day last year I decided to message a man who worked with 'nanteglwys' welsh cobs. I asked him if he knew Annie and he said yes, I bred her! Even more strange he said I am currently messaging Annie's new owner who has been researching all her history and has been trying to contact you. So he give me her new owners email and I emailed her, explaining who I was and offering her any info she may request. Fortunately, the new owner was lovely and sent me loads of pictures and told me all about Annie. She was gutted when she had heard how many homes she had had in her short little life.

Anyway to cut a long story short we always message about Annie and she shares updates with me. The owner has another mare, an elderly mare that she has had since a youngster who Annie lives out with. She had not attempted to ride Annie as she had to have an operation which made it not suitable to ride, especially an unpredictable horse that Annie had become. She had explained to me how bad Annie was with a bridle and not wanting to be tacked up. She again had got her checked all over and all was good to go. So it was a nice surprise a couple of weeks ago when her owner put pictures up on Facebook of her riding Annie and she had messaged me to say she had got on her and she was fab! Said she is very 'looky! But generally was a star. She was so proud, as was I!

However, the plan with this current owner was to get Annie riding nicely and sell her on when her elderly mare had passed away. The elderly mare hasn't passed but the owner has advertised Annie for sale as she is feeling the crunch with regards to money and just can no longer afford to keep her. Just as she is coming on so well :( she is advertised but so far unsuitable people have come to see her or people wanting a free ride. She is struggling to sell her at the moment, as we all know times are hard and horses just aren't selling, you can't even give away a free one at the moment! But she messaged me to say that she is going to have to consider taking her to derby or Melton sales. I am distraught :( obviously I can't have her back and I have tried asking around but with no joy.
Even though I'd mentioned previous issues with annie she is not a dangerous horse. She has not attempted any of the bad behaviour she did a couple of years ago (neither did she do it when I had her). Something clearly went wrong down the line and it affected her, she was in the wrong hands and misunderstood. Now in the correct hands she is showing what a good horse she actually is! Yet I'm so scared for her fate if she goes to the sales. Obviously she is not advertised at a high price as she hasn't really done anything so I am scared she is going to end up in the wrong hands and be ruined, or worse. To me, she is not a problem horse who you can say 'its best to Pts'. She has got so much to offer and is a beautiful horse. I know I'm not a well known member on here so I appreciate no one will know of my stories of her but if anyone can help please contact me.

I know this is the longest shot but I felt like I had to get it off my chest and at least I have helped her owner explore all avenues. I want her back myself but I just cannot afford it, no matter how hard I try. Life sucks :(

So if anyone can help she is a 15.1hh bay reg welsh sec d mare, 8yo. I have plenty of pictures. I don't expect anyone can help but like I said, just wanted to try.

Many thanks, sorry it was so long.

Noodles_3

Visit site
Oh golly, what a tough time Annie has had. I really hope that she finds the right new owner.

Me too. This current owner is perfect for her it's such a shame she has to sell but she desperately can't afford it anymore and I know how hard it is being strapped for cash! She hasn't had it easy but she is getting back on track, such a shame nothing has ever been straight forward for her. She'd make a cracking little pony with an experienced rider.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
oh my god, the poor little lady!! this makes me 100% sure that I will never sell my babies!

where is she? my friend is looking for a companion mare but one she can ride if possible!

Noodles_3

Visit site
oh my god, the poor little lady!! this makes me 100% sure that I will never sell my babies!

where is she? my friend is looking for a companion mare but one she can ride if possible!

Nottingham! Yes she can be ridden. Just needs bringing on and a confident rider :)

kerrieberry2

Visit site
Nottingham! Yes she can be ridden. Just needs bringing on and a confident rider :)

That's prob too far but I will send the link to my friend! she looks just like her current mare as well, spooky! and when I first started reading your post I thought it was my friend writing about her mare!

Noodles_3

Visit site
That's prob too far but I will send the link to my friend! she looks just like her current mare as well, spooky! and when I first started reading your post I thought it was my friend writing about her mare!

Very strange indeed! Okay thank you x

Noodles_3

Visit site
£750 but will go lower for the right home however I guess that would be out the window if she goes to the sales. Just really hope she gets the home she deserves she is such a lovely pony :( I love her to bits, always have, always will! Just no way I can take her on. It always seems like when she's available for me to have something stops it.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
£750 but will go lower for the right home however I guess that would be out the window if she goes to the sales. Just really hope she gets the home she deserves she is such a lovely pony :( I love her to bits, always have, always will! Just no way I can take her on. It always seems like when she's available for me to have something stops it.

I've PM'd you xx

chotty

Visit site
What a touching story. Glad she feels happier and more trustworthy now and I really hope she finds a new home. Gives me the fear of life thinking what will happen to my loan horse if/when he goes back to his owner, as the woman is crazy and has been dealt with numerous time by sspca for neglect and horses being underweight/covered in rainscald etc :(

Bumping this up for you in the hope someone can help you/her x

Noodles_3

Visit site
Peter - Nottingham :)

Thanks all. It does definitley make you realise you have no control once you give them up! :( I've been lucky enough to keep in contact with most her homes so far.

I don't think her breeder would have her back, they are all the way in Wales and also they breed then sell on as they have quite a lot of horses. No idea on breeding I am clueless! Don't think she's badly bred or anything though! Her name is 'nanteglwys myfanwy'. The nanteglwys cobs are all known for their wonderful temperaments and Annie definitley has this going for her. Can't stress enough what a lovely pony she is and could make. She just needs showing the ropes but she will get there I'm positive.

X