My options.

kateandluelue

Visit site
Hello,
So i have two horses, one a 19 year old retired tb and a 13 year old ISH type. The ISH has a bog spavin but never caused issues and has been fully assessed. She was loaned out whilst i was pregnant and was away 18 months and by all accounts got on really well in her loan home. I had weekly updates and pictures. She was returned through no fault of her own. I put her back out on loan to a friend of a friend and shes been an arse. Shes been twitchy, bucking and hard to control. Ive been in contact with her old loaner and she said there were no issues with her and she was more than happy to come out and speak to the new loaner and ride said horse. Anyway the horse has been with the new lady for a couple of months and shes decided to return her.She thinks her hock is causing her pain. She would never normally put any effort into throwing bucks so this behavior is out of character. Her teeth are up to date and her saddle has recently been re checked.

Anyway shes coming back. Im going to have a vet see her and a physio but the reality is i cant keep her. Im hoping shes not in pain and can go out to a more experienced loaner but i dont know what my options are really or what to do. This has all happened at a really bad time in life as it does and its causing alot of worry. any advice would be great.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Is it definitely a bog spavin or do you mean bone spavin? A bog spavin shouldnt cause any issues.

Hes the loaner changed her tack or is she in more? Is there anything thats changed that could have upset her?

kateandluelue

Visit site
Yes bog spavin it was xrayed and seen at a vets a few years ago. Yes i would be surprised if it was that causing the issue. Shes never been lame but also never been a bucker or a rearer.
No tack change she lives out which is great. Nothing i can think is different, only possibly the rider being maybe nervous i dont know?
Do i have her assessed and loan her back out with full honesty or is that being irresponsible.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yes bog spavin it was xrayed and seen at a vets a few years ago. Yes i would be surprised if it was that causing the issue. Shes never been lame but also never been a bucker or a rearer.
No tack change she lives out which is great. Nothing i can think is different, only possibly the rider being maybe nervous i dont know?
Do i have her assessed and loan her back out with full honesty or is that being irresponsible.

The first step has to be to find out what is causing the behaviour, then you can take it from there.

ETA, did she have time off between homes, could it be something as simple as the saddle not fitting because she has put weight on?

kateandluelue

Visit site
Thanks guys for the reply. I think she had a bit of time off so yes will get her saddle rechecked. Ill have the vet and physio look at her when shes back.

Equi

Visit site
Do the checks, then have the old loaner out to ride again. If its simply the change in rider, which it can be, then you have to try and find a home with a same minded rider. I know my horse is very very intune to me now, like i think he reacts...it can sometimes mean i am asking one thing but thinking another and he reacts to that. If the horse has been used to riding in a confident forward way and new rider is holding back and gripping..they are not going to know what to do with that.