My poor baby had to have the vet

seaofdreams

Visit site
Well went up to the yard this am with my brother to find little one heaving and then he turned around to look at me and he had missives of gunk coming out of his mouth and nose, so immediately called the vet, who came out very quickly to say he has choke (which was what i thought)
Apparently he has never heard of a foal with choke before, trust mine
smirk.gif

So he sedated him and gave him some muscle relaxants and put a tube down his nose to see if he could clear it, He was so sorry for himself, I was nearly in tears it was horrible to see him like that, Lottie was to interested in her hay she really isn't that foal proud (she jumped out the field yesterday and left him
shocked.gif
)
The vet then said we have to play it by ear but if no better in an hour or two then we would have to put him on a drip
frown.gif

the vet left around 11am, by 12 he was back on the milkbar (he is so greedy) and by the middle of the afternoon he was feeling alot better (still a little sleepy) so called the vet to let him know, he was pleased and then admitted he was very worried about him
crazy.gif

Luckily he seems to be alot happier tonight and no signs of it recurring but he keeps trying to eat the hay and straw
confused.gif
I'm not sure if this is what caused it?
I'm scared to leave him incase he does it again,
frown.gif

But at least he is better and happier tonight
smile.gif
So fingers crossed he will be ok

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Thank goodness he is ok now, hope this is a one off and remains one of those strange mysteries that there are with horses.
smile.gif

Bananaman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
Gosh, what a shock. I've not heard of a foal choking before either but I guess it is possible. It's a distressing sight at the best of times.

Glad all seems to be OK now and hopefully won't recur.

Naughty Lottie for jumping out to the hay and leaving little'un behind! Did she realise her mistake straight away?

seaofdreams

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Naughty Lottie for jumping out to the hay and leaving little'un behind! Did she realise her mistake straight away?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, once she was over she turned around and when she realised he hadn't followed her she stood by the fence
smirk.gif

Don't get me wrong she is being a fab mum and loves him to bits, but her tummy rules her head
wink.gif
smile.gif

It was a very horrible and scary sight to see, im going back up in a bit just to check him,

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Who'd have babies eh? They're all very determined to give us all grey hair and nightmares, I'm convinced of it!
smile.gif
It's bad enough waiting for them but I'm sure it's worse once they're on the ground!

Hope he's ok; perhaps he just shovelled a long piece of hay/haylage in and then couldn't chew it, something like that.
confused.gif

Evadiva1514

Visit site
Poor little mite, you must have been worried sick!!

Im glad he is on the mend now.. He's so adorable, bless him!!