My Poor Boy - Update

Penniless

Visit site
Well, he's been home 3 whole days now and still not eaten a thing (and I mean anything at all). Vet came out this morning, checked him over and no obvious signs of what is wrong with him. He was shocked when we removed the rug and he saw the bones sticking out! He's given him vitamin shots and left a tonic for him and has taken bloods to see if anything obvious shows up immediately.

He phoned this evening to say results are clear (although naturally couldn't test for everything) so we're back to the beginning again as to what is wrong. He said that judging by the weight loss, it could just be he is totally knackered from being worked too hard and not getting fed enough (and was shocked that the yard hadn't picked up on the weight loss) and has said to try and tempt him for the next 24 hours with anything we can get into him, otherwise it's a trip to the hospital for him to be examined further. Keep the good vibes coming.

Now that we know he hasn't got anything contagious, we think we may let his mum go and have a chat with him tomorrow and his dad can say a passing hello as he walks out to the paddocks. Perhaps this will cheer him up. Shame we've not got any spring grass.

Penniless

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
hope he gets better soon. the people that had him should be shut down they dont deserve to get away with it!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe me, if we actually told you who it was - you would be totally shocked and wouldn't believe it. We're finding it hard to believe ourselves.

cluedo

Visit site
We had a young horse who on arrival from Holland was like yours. He seems shell shocked. He wouldn't eat a thing and was tired as well as shocked. We syringed visorbin into him to build up his strength and then we stabled him next to another horse close together and then using door mangers fed small amount to the other horse which then got sick boy interested so we gave him a door manger as well. Grass also helped hugely but it was spring. Worth a go to try and lift his spirits.

T_K

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Shame we've not got any spring grass.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might want to try him on some Readigrass, it might tempt him as it's quite sweet.

Hope they get him onto a drip ASAP at the 'horsepital' if he still doesn't eat anything.

Good luck with him and I hope he feels better soon.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Milk powder? Many years ago we used it to help put on a bit of weight (I rmember a big tub of it in the feed room). What about some molasses on your hand, maybe he'll lick it? A friend's horse like peanut butter sandwiches....

Just trying to think of things that are salty/sweet that might get his juices going.

Penniless

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We had a young horse who on arrival from Holland was like yours. He seems shell shocked. He wouldn't eat a thing and was tired as well as shocked. We syringed visorbin into him to build up his strength and then we stabled him next to another horse close together and then using door mangers fed small amount to the other horse which then got sick boy interested so we gave him a door manger as well. Grass also helped hugely but it was spring. Worth a go to try and lift his spirits.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tried that as well - he's got our 11.2 pony stabled next door to him with a metal grid in between so that they can touch and little Mickey is even putting haylage into his mouth and offering it to our boy through the bars. We're feeding them so close together in the hope that our main boy will get annoyed at the pony eating but that's not worked either.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Feral: Tried Kiln Valley Dried Grass which is the same sort of stuff.

Mozart: Tried the molasses.

Dozziesmum: Tried that as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

So next the milk powder and the peanut butter
wink.gif
Will keep on racking brain for ways and means!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Have you tried getting an irrigation syringe and filling it with molasses, honey or treacle and syringing that into his mouth? Might be worth a try.

T_K

Visit site
When my pony had to have meds in her feed that tasted foul I used to make her some 'tea' to make it more appetising.

It consisted of Mint Tea, made up with boiling water, with black treacle and honey added to the hot tea. Well mixed and left to cool and then mixed with her dinner. She always ate all her dinner and licked the bucket clean!!

Penniless

Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions, but he really won't even get his mouth near the manger (and yes, we've scrubbed the manger in case its got a funny smell or anything with that, and given him another manger) so trying all the tit-bits just isn't worth it now, we really can't force feed him.

The medicine he has been left by the vet has to be syringed into his mouth and that in itself, is proving very difficult. He is usually the most placid laid back horse you'd ever meet but he obviously does not want anything being put in his mouth. Vet checked his mouth out and couldn't find anything wrong from what he could see, although there are small nicks around his mouth (probably from someone heavy handed yanking him about!), so hopefully the hospital examination will come up with something. If we have to start off with his mouth, at least they have the most sophisticated camera equipment there, along with every other tool or system you can think of. Will keep you all posted. Once again - thanks. Just going out now to him again to offer another handful of grass before the frost gets too much on it. Our other horses are quite enjoying getting all the feed and tit-bits this boy doesn't eat - it's christmas come early - especially for the pony next door to him.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
do you have grazing?, if so rug him up and turn him out with exra haylage and the pony, sounds like depression of sorts, if he was in hard training maybe no turn out then with the move etc. my mare when in prolonged stable looses her appitite but not her weight but doesn't eat, from what i can tell from your posts you have nothing to loose

amc

Visit site
What on earth have these people done to the poor boy ? You must be beside yourself with rage & of course worry, I have no more ideas than everybody else has but really wish you & poor boy well, X

ruscara

Visit site
I assume the vet would have picked up if he'd got damage to his jaw? Sounds to me as if he hasn't eaten for a good while, and if he's so defensive of his mouth, it could be that his jaw is damaged. Poor lad. I hope you can find out what's wrong very soon.
frown.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I'm wondering the same as MM - is all ok with his jaw and mouth?? And if he is really not eating or drinking when is the vet gonig to put him on a drip?

Penniless

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
do you have grazing?, if so rug him up and turn him out with exra haylage and the pony, sounds like depression of sorts, if he was in hard training maybe no turn out then with the move etc. my mare when in prolonged stable looses her appitite but not her weight but doesn't eat, from what i can tell from your posts you have nothing to loose

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes we have grazing and he's been rugged and turned out with his family but still not interested in putting his mouth down to eat. We've been putting both types of haylage into his stable as well and not bothered to eat that either.

JaneMBE

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm wondering the same as MM - is all ok with his jaw and mouth?? And if he is really not eating or drinking when is the vet gonig to put him on a drip?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think after not eating for a few days I would insist on drip feeding, he is going to need some sort of food intake for his gut.
frown.gif

Penniless

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When the vet checked his mouth, there was no obvious signs of anything. He is drinking absolutely fine so not dehydrated or anything like that - thank goodness - it's purely the food aspect. As I've said the vet has given him vitamin jabs, and left tonic for him and is monitoring him. Thankfully it's not a cat and dog vet, we've got Rossdales looking after him.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Well, you don't get much better than that.

Now I have a silly suggestion for you. I have yet to come accross a horse that doesn't like tomato soup (I think it's something to do with the salt content). Try him with a little of that - warm. You never know it might just get him going again.

Good luck, it sounds such an awful situation to be in.

Gingernags

Visit site
Poor thing, racking my brains for something to suggest.

How about apple sauce as its soft? Just boil up a few apples with a splodge of molasses?

Or what about one of these vitamin licks or a likit as its v sugary - something they lick not chew?

Hope he gets better soon.

Penniless

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well, you don't get much better than that.

Now I have a silly suggestion for you. I have yet to come accross a horse that doesn't like tomato soup (I think it's something to do with the salt content). Try him with a little of that - warm. You never know it might just get him going again.

Good luck, it sounds such an awful situation to be in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that suggestion but that is one thing I definitely cannot try with him. I absolutely hate anything like tomato soup, tom sauce, etc, etc, and it makes me sick if I even smell it. Perhaps I should put a mask on to give it a go.

Wigglypigs

Visit site
Maybe someone else could try him with the tomato soup - worth a try? Aside from all that has been offered im afraid i cant think of anything useful to add to the lists, never had a horse not to eat before - you must be out of you mind with worry

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for that suggestion but that is one thing I definitely cannot try with him. I absolutely hate anything like tomato soup, tom sauce, etc, etc, and it makes me sick if I even smell it

[/ QUOTE ]
Can't someone else do it for you??

ladyt25

Visit site
Sounds in shock but I would try not over molly coddle him - turn him out as much as possible, have you tried maybe standing with the other horses and eating 'human food', ie biscuits/flapjack etc (I am sure the pony would be interested) This may cause him to be nosey and see what you're doing.

Also maybe lead him out with a friend around the lanes/tracks if you have some. I think you just need to get some 'spark' and interest into him and don't overly stress abotu the eating. If it goes on too long then yes the vet gcan investigate further but the horse sounds like he has just had too much handling/work etc and has just switched off.

I've never heard of a horse starving itself so would assume if there's no physical reason to stop him eating then he will eventually pick at something. My pony didn't eat recently whenhe had an allergic reaction to penicillin. he was feeling v v sorry for himself for several days and he is normally v v greedy but he didn't want anything.

Has he passed any droppings at all since being back?