My Poor Horse

Goldenstar

Visit site
MY poor horse C was found in the field last Friday morning standing all cramped up frozen cold ( it was raining ) and unable to move .
With two people we were able to get him into the stable we rugged him up and called the vet .
I called it in as a colic ( he has a history of colic ) my I first thought was he had been colicing for hours and was now in the final stages of a traumatic colic .
I was distraught he had KS surgery in December and had been going so well recently .
By the time the vet arrived I knew it was not colic and wondered if it was a biazze tying up type episode .
The vet also thought the looked tied up ,but treated for colic and took some bloods and rushed off to process them
We realised the horse was very hungry but would not move to eat so I hand fed him haylage I then realised he could not lower his head at all I was just phoning the vet when he called back saying the horse had not tied up .
I said I feared he might have a neck fracture and it was decided to move him to their horsepital ten miles away .
The loading was difficult but ok the horse was clearly in intense pain but tried hard to do what we wanted .
On arrival he could get down the ramp it took a hideous forty minutes and four people to get him off the lorry.
At the surgery he had some pain relief and neck wither and back X-rays no obvious fracture was found .
They ultrasounded some areas but it was really shots in the dark as apart from a small amount of swelling on the near side wither and a sweaty patch on the left shoulder .
The horse had not a mark on him . Investigation of the field threw no light on the matter .
It's too long a tale to type .
Basically they controlled his pain well enough for us to transport him to the Dick where he had a bone scan yesterday .
We have we hope an answer they think based on the bone scan that he has broken some of his front ribs ( can't be x-rayed ) and a area of huge damage to his triceps muscle which had the biggest hot spot on the bone scan they have ever seen on a muscle .
It's weird there's so little external to see .
They hopefully will be able to confirm the diagnosis with ultrasound on Monday .
Fingers crossed it's that simple .
Treatment is rest and anti inflammatories and physio in a while .
He will be box rested and have a little time out in a tiny electric fenced square
There's a chance of full recovery ( again fingers crossed ) .
But no competitions for me this summer .
And it's cheap treatment apart from lots of gastroguard and anti inflammatories it's all about nursing and time ,after the expense of the KS surgery I am saved from having to be very nice to MrGS.
I am so glad I taught them all about using little tiny paddocks last summer at least he can get some fresh air and some sun.
Just hoping they are right and he's home soon for some heavy duty nursing .

PorkChop

Visit site
Oh no, if it isn't one thing it's another with horses, poor boy.

He is obviously getting the best of everything, got my fingers crossed for you that you have found the cause.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Don't pay for gastroguard, GS, get it from abler.com instead.

I hope you want to be nice to Mr GS anyway, but I'll send all the vibes I have spare.

Baroque

Visit site
Here's hoping that with time, and great nursing, C will make a full recovery. Poor little horse has had a time of it hasn't he. He'll be glad to get back home.

be positive

Visit site
I hope he responds well to the rest and feels better soon, it does sound like a slip up with an extremely unlucky result most seem to get away with it but C has been very unfortunate to have such a nasty injury.

only_me

Visit site
Ouch poor horse :( glad you have a diagnosis, it's much easier to work with when you have one. Is there any chance another horse could have collided with him?

Small walk areas/squares are definitely the best box rest method - if he's walking it will help with stiffness and swelling as well as keep the gut going :)

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Oh god sounds absolutely terrifying GS you must have been beside yourself with worry :(

Thanks goodness you've got a diagnosis and can start treating him.

PollyP99

Visit site
Gosh sounds like you've both been through the mill, they put us through it don't they, healing vibes to both of you!

Clodagh

Visit site
Poor boy, I hope he soon mends.
My m-in-law had a fall on concrete while walking her dog last year and although she didn't break anything her muscles went into spasm and she was in agony, ended up at A&E. Much the same thing I suppose.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Oh gosh- what a horrendous time for you- can't imagine what was going through your mind.
Fingers crossed for a speedy full recovery!
(My mate had her treatment today for suspensory damage and also decided to colic on arrival at the vets just for good measure-they have a way of terrifying us!)
Sending you vibes from us x