My poor hunting hero

fitzaud2

Visit site
I had to make the decision to put my boy to sleep today. He has been the reason i got back in the saddle, nevermind getting back hunting. I love that horse more than anything, but he has been so screwed up that i had x-rays done yesterday, and they showed a degenerative disease of the pedal bone in both front legs, half of the pedal bone had rotted. Never heard of it before. Just cant believe that my beautiful, loyal servant, has to go to sleep. It's not fair. He is such a yes horse, always trying to please. My non-horsy friends all think i'm crazy, but i love that horse so much. I've only had him 2 years and the vet said the damage had been done before hand, but it doesn't make me feel any better. I've tried everything, from supplements to any kind of healer you can imagine, but bit the bullet last week, after seeing Ted McDonald/Connell. He diagnosed him straight away and i had him x-rayed. Now, i feel guilty for not doing it sooner. I wanted him to be ok, more than anything, but he has lost so much condition in the last 8 weeks, that i knew something was wrong.

How do you get over losing the love of your life? I have 5 other horses, but he was always my favourite. He had attitude. Was cool, bucked if you asked him to go left if he wanted to go right, but was to first one to neigh when i turned on the light in the kitchen in the mornings.

I know i sound crazy, but i really love cooper, and it's going to kill me on Sat.
Any advice on how not to fall apart would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks. [color:blue] [/color]

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Really sorry to hear your news; it's always very hard to part from a favourite at any time. Cherish your memories of him and remember how lucky you were to have known him but I'm afraid, it's the old cliché, time is a great healer and it's time to dust yourself off and get on with looking after your others; they need you now.

Starbucks

Visit site
Really sorry to here your sad news. :(

I lost my horse in a road accident. He sounds similar to Cooper - serious attitude and personality!! I think they are the ones who we love the most because they make us laugh everyday with their quirkiness!

It's so sad but you are doing the right thing, and sounds like you've done your best for him. It's just his time. Hugs to you. xxx

mrsew

Visit site
So sad for you Hun. Sending you & Cooper big hugs & lots of love. I can not imagine what you are going through. The love you have for him will keep you strong & cherish your memories. Cooper's spirit will be with you forever. I think this is a beautiful poem & i hope it doesn't offend you......

Don't cry for the horses
That life has set free
A million white horses
Forever to be

Don't cry for the horses
Now in God's hands
As they dance and they prance
To a heavenly band

They were ours as a gift
But never to keep
As they close their eyes
Forever to sleep

Their spirits unbound
On silver wings they fly
A million white horses
Against the blue sky

Look up into heaven
You'll see them above
The horses we lost
The horses we loved

Manes and tails flowing
They Gallop through time
They were never yours
They were never mine

Don't cry for the horses
They will be back someday
When our time has come
They will show us the way

On silver wings they will lift us
To the warmth of the sun
When our life is over
And eternity has begun

We will jump the sun
And dance over the moon
A Ballet of horses and riders
on the winds
to a heavenly tune

Do you hear that soft nicker
Close to your ear?
Don't cry for the horses
Love the ones that are here

Don't cry for the horses
Lift up your sad eyes
Can't you see them
As they fly by?

A million white horses
Free from hunger and pain
Their spirits set free
Until we ride again

Big hugs...thinking of you both....Sxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A1fie

Visit site
Sending you huge hugs. He was a lucky lad to have found someone who loved him so well.

There is no easy answer I'm afraid, but one day in the not so distant future you will be able to smile when you think of him instead of crying and the memories of all you did together will always be with you.

mrsew

Visit site
Sorry Starbucks......it makes me cry too, but in a way that reminds me just how special our equine friends are. and that we are lucky for the time we have with them..xxxx

Drummer

Visit site
I am very sorry, he found you for a reason though and it sounds like you both made the most of your time together.

I am sitting here crying now too, a lovely poem - says it all x

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
How sad, sorry to hear you lost him :( It sounds as though you did everything you possibly could for him.

I took the decision to retire my lovely boy from hunting last weekend and your post has made me realise how lucky I am that he can still do other things.

(((hugs))) Go out and enjoy your hunting on saturday, I'm sure Cooper will be watching over you somewhere.

JenHunt

Visit site
oh, tthat;s made me cry... It's such a hard decision to make. well done you for being brave and making it.

Our thoughts are with you and cooper. Think how many days hunting he'll be able to have once he's gone, and think how many happy memories will link you two together forever.
((((hugs))))

Dogstar

Visit site
I really feel for you. I remember when I had my hunter/horse of a lifetime PTS - the week before and the day itself were dreadful. But afterwards I kind of felt relieved that it was over. We share such a strong bond especially when our horses have looked after us and been through so many adventures with us out hunting. It is impossible to explain. But they will always be with us in our hearts (sorry cliche but true). x

LauraWheeler

Visit site
:( :( :(
so sorry to hear your news. It sounds as though you did everything you could for him now you have to do the kindest thing. I'm shore he would thank you for it. Remember the days hunting you had it sounds like you gave him a wonderful last few years and Don't give up hunting as if he truly loved it he would want you to carry on.
He has gone away.
To where all the great hunters go.
The hunting field in the sky.

fitzaud2

Visit site
What do i tell my children. They are 8 and 5, and loved cooper as much as i do, they know his legs were sore, but should i tell them the truth. They are at their dad's for the weekend, but are due back 2m. Help!!

posie_honey

Visit site
so sorry to hear about your horse. i know what you mean about having others but one being more special than the rest.

personally i'd tell the children that he was in pain and the kindest thing to do was have him pts - i think they will understand. we were always told the truth about these things as children and i think it's good that we knew the harsh realities of life

fitzaud2

Visit site
Thanks. I'm finding it hard to even be down in the stables since saturday, it's just strange not to see his head sticking out, kicking the door for feed.
I told my children the truth, Patrick(8), took it ok, was kinda typical man reaction, practical, but Shauna(5), just lost it. She cried all Sunday evening, and will not come down to the stables since, because it makes her "too sad". She has a photo of Cooper, which she carries with her, it's kinda heartbreaking. God, i didn't think it was going to be this difficult.