My project horse 6 months on!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Well , he was bought as a project to sell on.. but I don't think I can part with him now! He's a 15.2hh 8 year old ISH. When I got him, lovely as is he was- he was a pain in the bum to ride and shot off away from the leg. When I first go on him after taking him home- he reared and bolted :eek:

anyway, cut a long story short- after much hard work he's been schooling well, extending, collecting, turn on forehand/haunches, shoulder in, flying changes etc. He has been xc , jumping, hacking and everything in a snaffle! (admittedly a little strong at times xc ! :p )

Here are a couple of before and afters!

Flatwork
FlatworkBA_zps1987bc19.jpg

Jumping
Image7_zps843e3b90.jpg

Starting competing properly in the spring- he's been out for 'show schooling' so now its time to compete :)
Why can I see myself buying another 'project' ?!?

I don't really like to post threads all about my horse but why make it a waste of time editing those before and after pictures :p ?

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Thanks for the replies! :) He's such a lovely boy and tries very hard to do his best. Certainly a character too (in a good way)! Hopefully it will show people what persistence can achieve as in the first two or three weeks I thought he was a lost cause- seems he was just very scared :( and I was about to send his bloods for testing!

Also shows you how useful books and youtube videos are as I have done it completely by myself so far :) applying ideas that I've learnt to his style of learning. I do plan on getting and instructor out to take a look at some point soon though to polish us both up a bit!

I do intend on my next project horse NOT having white legs and a white tail though... :rolleyes::D

lottiepony

Visit site
Well done you must be so pleased there nothing more satisfying that seeing a horse improve and change for the good all down to you. Glad ur enjoying him and good luck for when u go out competing!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Just unsure what to start competing him in, he's been out to some little showjumping courses but although he's a great jumper and loves XC- he is actually better in his flatwork! so thinking maybe doing a bit of eventing with him :)

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Is your little dun mare doing well? :)

Yes she's doing well thanks! She's as bright as ever and prefers to spend her time galloping around the bridlepaths and jumping as opposed to schooling (unlike Finn who loves learning complicated dressagey stuff!) Although I am making her use her brain a bit more now it feels too cold to freeze to death hacking :p would never believe she'd had such a bad tendon injury before.

The pair of them are best friends , it's very sweet and they actually share haynets and feed bowls! something I never thought Summer would do :O she normally tries to kill another horse who gets between her and food.