My spontaneous trip horse shopping in Ireland!

Juni141

Visit site
Chestnut all the way, looks a cracking type and I'd always rather have something 'raw' to put my own stamp on... especially if it has a sensible head on young shoulders which the chestnut boy sounds like he does!!

Look forward to hearing what you decide to do (though I wouldn't be putting any money on the bay!) :)

kez81

Visit site
I really like the four year old, he has a good, intelligent eye and is going to fill out to be a lovely sort. I would be hagling over his price right now!

Dusty85

Visit site
In the process :)

However, I suspect they wont budge. I was the first person to see him, I'm pretty sure the next person will snap him up.

Bernster

Visit site
Sounds like a great trip. The only thing I'd add is that hhoers were spot on when I was recently shopping. You just 'know' when youve found the one for you. And I'd push the budget if it were the right one too. And I did ;-) haha

popsdosh

Visit site
I completely agree- A vetting is a snapshot in time, but there are only certain things that would change from 1 months ago- for example, eyes heart conformation and X-rays would all be the same- soundness yes certainly that would change. I might consider a 2 stage for him.
The vets have said they'll do whatever i want, but have been happy to discuss the results with me, given that the owners rung him first and said that I would ring him.

Full vetting or none at all im afraid ,and yes xrays can change in a month especially on a freshly backed youngster dont fall into the trap thats set for you! Why does nobody ever ask somebody went to the expense of a vetting and did not buy ,Why!!!

Dusty85

Visit site
The vetting is on the 5yo that has been broken for ove 12 months and working.

I did ask them why- she had two vetted unseen and pulled out of both of them as her 'circumstances had changed'. the vets also had to chase her for payment of the vettings. To be honest, I'm not sure I'm convinced by the Bays legs, so this is probably all irrelevant anyway.

popsdosh

Visit site
The vetting is on the 5yo that has been broken for ove 12 months and working.

I did ask them why- she had two vetted unseen and pulled out of both of them as her 'circumstances had changed'. the vets also had to chase her for payment of the vettings. To be honest, I'm not sure I'm convinced by the Bays legs, so this is probably all irrelevant anyway.

Sorry I am a bit of a cynic and never trust anybody selling a horse or their Vet especially in Ireland!!

Beausmate

Visit site
Chestnut for me too. The bay looks top heavy, and although he might 'grow into himself' a bit more, his legs aren't going to get any chunkier, but the rest of him might....

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The legs on the bay are a big fat 'no' from me. The chestnut is without doubt the better conformed horse - I hope the negotiations go well. :)

Dusty85

Visit site
yes- thats the one. I had a call from the owners of the bay today to say he'd done a 35 dr and double clear to get a 6th at his first event of the season today. They are really lovely people actually- i know everyone goes on not to trust buyers, but they are very genuine, and just want a nice home for him

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Gold star to hubby ;) I suspect the bay is a nice chap but I don't think his legs are a long term investment.

Tern

Visit site
Hard decision for you! I didn't even go see them but it'd be difficult for me to decide whom having seen the bay on a video and I do quite like him but confo is not brilliant, however the chestnut if also beautiful.

I think you should just have both. :rolleyes:

pootler

Visit site
My vote is for the chestnut, especially with those bloodlines. Where is the photo taken with the house in the background? I recognize it from photos where my Irish boy came from.

Dusty85

Visit site
Its Wexford Equestrian centre. They have amazing facilities with a huge indoor school, then this lovely outdoor XC/schooling area

Cobbytype

Visit site
I like the bay, but would agree what others have said about the legs - and in the price bracket you're looking, it would put me off. The chestnut looks good until you get to the neck; somehow the set of his neck isn't quite right.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
chestnut without a doubt, much better put together and I think he would be easier to work with and sounds like he has a very good attitude, he is younger yes but the bay sounds like he could be a bit sensitive and harder to handle (could be totally wrong! just going on your description). Also the bay's legs are very off-putting. Glad you were successful and had a good trip :) I've bought unseen from Ireland before and I really want to make a trip over there, hopefully will do late summer / early autumn

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I don't think either drop into the gorgeous or good conformation bracket. The chestnut is very thick through the gullet and his neck is poorly put on, however his limb is good. The bay has a super top but dreadful limbs and no bone, is that near hind a club foot, the heel looks so deep.

If you are looking for a forever super star, with a big price tag, to go to the top, I would keep looking.

armchair_rider

Visit site
I love that chestnut. But I do have a bt of a thing for chestnuts at the moment and i'm not very knowledgeable on conformation (this thread has been very educational) so you might want to ignore my opinion.

stormox

Visit site
So, all you people who dont think you can trust a vets certificate if its already been vetted when you view the horse- what do you think of vets certs at the sales- Goresbridge, Cavan etc? They are usually done well before the sale.

KVH

Visit site
Hmmm Husband has thrown a surprise in that he may contribute to the pot... ;)
Well then it'd be rude not to! 😉
Conformation wise neither overly impress me, however there is something about the 4 year old, and I do like a Master Imp.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I tried out a 5 stage vetted wb who was lame as hell, my vet happened to be passing and thought old suspensory ligament injury. If you're buying, get a full vetting done, again!

Arizahn

Visit site
So, all you people who dont think you can trust a vets certificate if its already been vetted when you view the horse- what do you think of vets certs at the sales- Goresbridge, Cavan etc? They are usually done well before the sale.

I regard them as pointless.