My totally amazing Yard Owner !

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I didn't get past the bit where he had a horse in an arena on lunge rope and had left the lunge rein trailing on the floor behind him, which the horse then got wrapped around it while it was rearing up at him. Made me wince.

Gasper

Visit site
Absolutely , I've seen the before and after of horses he works with and he is amazing. There are people who won't agree with his methods but he gets results and if it stops horses being pts as they are branded dangerous or unrideable that works for me.

Gasper

Visit site
I didn't get past the bit where he had a horse in an arena on lunge rope and had left the lunge rein trailing on the floor behind him, which the horse then got wrapped around it while it was rearing up at him. Made me wince.

I think that's the problem with a trailer you don't see the whole picture . And it's not a lunge rein . I've never seen a horse he's worked with hurt in any way .

Gasper

Visit site
Not sure but hopefully a couple of weeks , will update when I know.

I see this guy every day working with horses , he loves the bones of these animals but never fails to make you realise if you let the horse be boss you are potentially going to get seriously hurt .

Antw23uk

Visit site
Wow I am intrigued, when is the documentary out?

This .. and also the blonde lady with the bay .. she clearly doesn't muck her horse out .. did you see how long her nails where lol :D Would be interesting to know where she is with the railway line in the background?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think that's the problem with a trailer you don't see the whole picture . And it's not a lunge rein . I've never seen a horse he's worked with hurt in any way .

But who would choose that to put in a trailer selling a trainer!

And no arabs over there are probably not trained the BHS way, as millions of other horses aren't, I'm just saying that it was not impressive to see a frightened/angry horse tangled up in whatever rope he was using, and didn't make me see him as an amazing trainer...

Anyway, sorry, I am raining on your parade.x

Gasper

Visit site
Hey you're not 'raining on my parade'. And I've watched the trailer a few times and I don't see a horse tangled in any rope .

Also don't see anyone mentioning selling training services - or have I missed something !

suey12

Visit site
This .. and also the blonde lady with the bay .. she clearly doesn't muck her horse out .. did you see how long her nails where lol :D Would be interesting to know where she is with the railway line in the background?

Lol, that's me, yes I do muck out, I currently have 8 horses, a couple have come in unhandled, I rarely break a nail !! Girths are the worst offenders, based in Cambridgeshire, as are the chestnut and dark bay.

Visit site
Both the bay gelding and chestnut mare are rescues that we have taken in. The rope you are referring to around her neck is part of the halter they wear for training with Ali, the same halter on all horses in the video doing groundwork. Its the halter equivalent of a throat lash and stops it coming over their head when they rear.

Visit site
Also, anyone doubting Ali as a trainer- the bay put his previous owner in a coma, rearing over backwards he came to me instead of the hunt. Two weeks before Ali came he came over ontop of me on the road, luckily I managed to twist his fall and he landed beside rather than ontop of me.

After Alis visit we went to three shows, got 6 firsts, 3 seconds, a 3rd and reserve champion. Sadly my horse developed narvicular and has since been put to sleep some six months later, but the change in him in the short time I had left with him was astounding.

suey12

Visit site
I must just add, mine also came to me with issues, he was homed / loaned on numerous occasions, prior to coming to me.

Clare85

Visit site
But who would choose that to put in a trailer selling a trainer!

And no arabs over there are probably not trained the BHS way, as millions of other horses aren't, I'm just saying that it was not impressive to see a frightened/angry horse tangled up in whatever rope he was using, and didn't make me see him as an amazing trainer...

Anyway, sorry, I am raining on your parade.x

I think that part was put in because later in the trailer you see the same horse being very calm and submissive, it shows the progression he can make.

Personally I think it looks a very interesting programme - Gasper, please do update when you know when the full documentary will be available to watch.

abb123

Visit site
I really enjoyed watching that. He came across as a really nice man that loved the horses and was quite grounded. Seemed like a very parelli-type approach - I'd be interested to see how much of it is traditional Bedouin.

twiggy2

Visit site
when doing line work it is not a lunge line and part of the reason being the weight of the rope and also it does not do the same damage or tangle in the same way as a lunge line. I have worked with both lines and ropes and much prefer the rope, I also prefer teaching my horses that if a rope is round your legs you stop.

All of them have picked it up quickly and with no injuries-it is something I have taught all horses and ponies for over 25yrs, when I worked at a riding school at 14yrs old I remember all the young kids dropping the lead ropes and the ponies panicking when they trod on them=the result turn them out to graze in a head collar and rope, they soon learn to lift their feet off the rope to release themselves.

babymare

Visit site
Well i would like to watch more of what he does. all methods have parts you may not agree with but i for one was impressed. And the words"there is no problem horse" hear hear Ali its people that create problems at some point in horses life . lso when is documentary on?

Gasper

Visit site
Oh nice to hear from some people whose horses are featured. I'll update as soon as I know where and when it's going to be screened.

And for the record Ali has no formal training in Parelli or anything else, he started off as a boy training camels with his family and progressed to horses. Everything he does is self taught or passed down through generations.

california dreaming

Visit site
he is very excellent but so are so many other horsemen that do natural horsemanship ground work. I wish the BHS would wake up to how essential it is and start to teach it as standard.

DragonSlayer

Visit site
he is very excellent but so are so many other horsemen that do natural horsemanship ground work. I wish the BHS would wake up to how essential it is and start to teach it as standard.

I dislike the term 'Natural Horsemanship'.

I prefer to view training a horse as developing a bond and trust, with the horse understanding what you want from them, a mutual relationship.

Call it 'Natural Horsemanship' and people start adding £££ to it.

Adopter

Visit site
There are some exceptional Horsemen and horsewomen with natural empathy and understanding of equines, they are not taught it, they just have that extra understanding and insight. The rest of us can learn how to work with our animals for the best results but we can not learn what they are able to just know instinctively.

abb123

Visit site
And for the record Ali has no formal training in Parelli or anything else, he started off as a boy training camels with his family and progressed to horses. Everything he does is self taught or passed down through generations.

I didn't mean it as a criticism and I did put Parelli-like in approach. I think it is interesting that these horse-training techniques are common to different horsemanship styles. I've seen people from lots of different horsey backgrounds use similar approaches, including a gaucho in Argentina who certainly hadn't subscribed to the Parelli world. I too dislike the term "natural horsemanship" or Parelli as it does have negative negative connotations in terms of manipulating novice owners for £££. I'm also not particularly convinced about the "natural", what is so natural about putting a rope around a horse - isn't it just 'horsemanship'??