My very late new arrival

minesadouble

Visit site
My mare foaled at 11pm on Wednesday night - exactly 4 weeks overdue! I didn't get my coloured colt but a black filly who is obviously going to grey out, she already has grey spectacles.

After a shaky start (wouldn't suck was tube fed by vet at 4am and had to be bucket fed as wouldn't even suck from a bottle) she finally got the idea at 2pm yesterday so hopefully we are now on the right track fingers crossed :)

A couple of pics of the new arrival (if I'm allowed!)

Izzie.jpg

Izzie3.jpg

SimplyNorty

New User
Visit site
Congratulations! That is very late indeed! Did you have many sleepless nights awaiting the arrival? Glad to hear she's got the hang of the milk bar now. Would love to see more photos.

minesadouble

Visit site
Thanks everyone! And simplyNorty - YES verrrry many sleepless nights! Luckily for me it was my eldest daughter who took over the vast majority of foal-watch, camped in a caravan at the bottom of the yard with a couple of loyal friends and CCTV for company!

When my vet initially saw her he thought she could be a dummy foal so we had a worrying time until she sucked, even though she had such a quick easy birth, everything seemed to go pretty much textbook and I doubted she was a dummy it still puts doubt in your mind when a vet says it!

She has had a blood test today just to check she did actually benefit from the colostrum pumped into her so hopefully results will be OK. She has fully got the hang of sucking now and is certainly making up for lost time :)

S_N

Visit site
Oh gosh! Have you had updates on her blood results? It's very worrying when they don't do things 100% by the book. It's happened to me and thankfully, it's all turned out well. Looking forwards to updates! x