My Wix Hunter trail report

Quarrybank

Visit site
Yay
grin.gif
I finally got to go XC again, something I honestly thought Spider wouldn't be able to do again after all his problems & operations.
I awoke to torrential rain & did think about not risking it, but thought the ground would still be ok, just maybe a bit slippy. Thankfully I was right & it had just the right amount of give in it & although we got soaked walking the course, it stopped by the time I got on
smile.gif

I took him to do the pairs with a friend of mine who's got a new horse & was taking him to his first XC (I know Spider will jump whatevers in front of him, so even though he's only 6 himself, he's a good lead horse) She was happy that if he was struggling, we would trot or pull up. I needn't have worried though
smile.gif

My initial concern was that the course was over 2 miles long
crazy.gif
with an optimum time of 7 minutes. Very long for a local HT. The first 3 fences were in quick succession, & then the next 5 were spread over 1 1/2 miles, with the final 7 fences again being in fairly quick succession. We decided we'd trot some of the middle section, especially round the corners as it was slippy.
Spider went straight out of the start box, quite happy in his role as leader & very happy to be jumping
smile.gif
He flew everything & apart from a couple of hicups for our partner, getting used to her steering, we both had a great round.
After a breather of about 1/2 hour, we had the novice class over the same course. I decided to canter the whole way & see how he coped. Again he flew round. We were a little over the optimum time as I didn't push him, but we were clear again.
smile.gif

So a very good day. His breathing sounded fine & he didn't tire any more than I would have expected him to. I'm over the moon as 4 months ago, I did honestly think I would never XC him again. It goes to show that you should never give up hope & miracles do happen
smile.gif

The same however, can't be said for me. Having hardly jumped or XC for a year, my back & thighs ache loads today
shocked.gif
So horse is ok, but rider need to get fitter
grin.gif
In my defence I've mainly ridden in a dressage saddle for the last few years
blush.gif

So I'm now looking forward to planning a few more for this autumn
cool.gif

Jo C

Visit site
Oh Quarrybank, thats excellent I bet you were chuffed to bits.
P went to Norton Heath tonight and got to play jumpies with a couple of my friends, needless to say he absolutely loved it! He thought he was off to do boring dressage but had loads of fun instead.

Quarrybank

Visit site
Thanks girls
grin.gif

FMC - no thankfully the ditch was only in the Intermediate & open
smile.gif

JoC - Glad to hear you're out jumping too & P is having fun. Did you go XC as well the other week?
cool.gif

Jo C

Visit site
Well I wasn't jumping last night but 2 of my friends jumped him. No I didn't get to go xc as the horse I was going with threw a shoe. We are off to Brook Farm TC for more dressage on Sunday so its back to the boring stuff for a bit. I will probably try and go in September sometime as I am booked up until then now.

Quarrybank

Visit site
That's a shame but hopefully you'll get to go soon. Scarily September is only round the corner. I had to have the lights on in the stables when I was finishing off last night. I can't believe the nights are drawing in already
shocked.gif

Good luck for Sunday
smile.gif

Jo C

Visit site
I know, we have defintely missed out on summer this year and gone straight into autumn.
Thank you - I am doing 2 novice tests as I am trying to get another sheet for the AFs. Are you taking Q to them?

Quarrybank

Visit site
I'm planning on taking them both, I think, to Towerlands.
Spider has 2 sheets for Prelim. Q has his sheets for Novice & elementary, but I might just take him for the Novice, depending on how he's going!
blush.gif

Have you already got your elementary?

Quarrybank

Visit site
Thank you
smile.gif

I know it helped me in the dark days, to hear about horses who'd recovered, so hopefully Spider's story will help other people to see that however bleak, things can come right again.
cool.gif

Jo C

Visit site
Yes I already have the elem sheets if I can find them!
blush.gif

Am off to Bluegate on 30th as well though to do elem so hopefully we will be able to pick another one then if I have misplaced them.