My YO (long rant) - what do you think?

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
Things at my yard are pretty good, no real yard politics between liveries so to speak. However, the one problem that has grown bigger and bigger is...my YO. At first I though it was just me that had issues with her but it appears the whole yard does! When I first got there they had a yard booklet which explained the moving in procedure when you first got there etc. It said that she would help you settle in, worm pony etc and the wormer would go on the next months bill. SO I waited around trying to speak to her, but she avoided me like the plague. I eventually managed to corner her dad who also runs the yard and asked him about the wormer. He looked at me and said "the stables and the shop are kept strictly separate" and then wouldn't speak to me for a week.

when I went away on holiday I told her numerous times that I was going away on holiday and what I needed them to do for ponio and wrote it on the board. When I got back, she then told me that I should have told her and written her a letter...she never said about the letter and she knew damn well I was going away!

whenever I need to ask her about something her line to me is "i'm not working now".

I have been able to put up with this for a bit, but there are two instances of last week that riled me and the other liveries! i decided to keep ponio in overnight to be turned out in the morning at the end of last working week. I let YO know and her response was "I would rather you didn't give me any more work to do for tomorrow as I am the only full timer working tomorrow". Ponio stayed in eventually anyway because he was showing signs of being laminitic but my point is that I pay £4.00 a day for turn out - if YO is too tight to employ more staff it isn't my problem?! and she would be going down to the same field anyway as she has to turn one the horses out who shares a field with my pony!

the biggest issue has come with the new indoor schools. These were supposed to be ready in September and we have been fobbed off continually, mainly because the signs "had to be put up". One exasperated livery replied to her by saying "well go and get them and we will help you" to which YO walked off and wouldn't speak to anyone. We finally have been told that we can use the indoor school - only the small one - but subject to one of the most ridiculous rules I have heard. There must be two horses and riders in there at all times - no "on ground supervision" allowed. Apparently this is for health and safety. So if and when someone falls off and injures themself, there would be a situation whereby there is one rider, two horses and one injured....health and safety this isn't. The school itself is not big enough for 2 horses over 16.2 to work properly, and the two rider rule also causes an issue in that most of us do not have someone we could definitely have riding with us. The funny thing is, these rules didn't apply in the old indoor school!

phew, sorry that was long but needed it off my chest! what do you think? a lot of us (at last count 10) were pretty much made up that we will move yards.

elsielouise

Visit site
I'm with the 'Move' option.

If I did my job like that I'd be fired... Oops, just realised should be working myself

Eccles

Visit site
That all sounds utterly bizarre. It sounds as if they are operating a livery but don't really want to be doing it! Err, move - straight away!

arkov

Visit site
same old story innit, they want the money but not the hassle & the power goes to their heads.

move, move now !

honeymum

Bucks/Somerset depends really............
Visit site
If it's the yard I think it is that doesn't surprise me. She has always been a nutter, my friend used to work there and have her horse there on livery, YO made her life such a misery she sneaked her horse away in the middle of the night!! Your better off out of there.Will have a think and PM you ideas for other yards.

ihatework

Visit site
No yard is completely perfect but if what you have said is true I wouldn't be happy leaving my horse in the care of such a headcase. I'd move to somewhere that offered a better service.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I moved yards because of a similar scenario and other probs. Yard manager did not want to have any more work even if you were paying her, this included:
Refusing to bring in a horse for the farrier even though she had 'forgotten' it last time round and the owner was in hospital with a burst appendix and paying her to care for it.
Lack of interest in the care of three horses while their owner was in hospital having major leg surgery - her attitude was well I dont need the extra work.
Saying she didn't have time to go around with the Terra vac as we'd got so many more horses she had more maintenance work to do, hence we had to poo pick (mainly me and my friend on our own) and when our horses moved into a field rested over winter the gate was still hanging off from last season so no obivous maintenance there.
Doesn't even bother saying hello unless you are one of the clingons that follow her around.
Needless to say I moved to somewhere much cheaper and pleasant.
Don't put up with crappy service, move.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
A lot of YOs think that somehow they are doing you a favour by having your horse on their yard. When will they realise that they are in a service industry & they are there to provide a service. It is appreciated that some liveries are a pain but many YOs don't seen to realise that without Liveries they would not have any income. If you are charged for a service then that service should be provided, as you say if the YO has insufficient staff to provide the service then it is her problem, not yours. Given the circumstances you've stated here I'd start looking for another yard.

Dogbetty141

Visit site
My YO is wonderful! It suprises me that some YO are like that i always thought its a job you can only do if you care! And have the skills and knowledge only!

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Is there one of you who is brave enough to take on the job of 'livery rep' and confronting her in a nice way and explaining that you are all concerned about her as she doesnt seem to be very happy at the moment. Appeal to her sympathetic side and try to get her to open up.

If she is adamant that the problems are non negotiable then you have your answer and things will not improve in the future. Sounds to me like she has become complascent in her job.

JAK

Visit site
Sorry but this woman is clearly completely off her trolley & I would suggest you start looking for somewhere else & move asap!

You can try talking to her, as somebody else suggested but I doubt you'll get anywhere! I think many of us have met this type before & they seldom change their ways, usually they just get nuttier as time goes on & their rules & demands become more & more bizarre & unreasonable!

Get out now, or you'll soon be needing medication!
frown.gif

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
we have thought about it the attitude is "i don't have time for this" and will wiggle out of it. whenever anyone has attempted to approach her or ask her about something she will shrug you off, avoid you and then blank you for a week or so.

horses are not a 9-5 job and that is what she wants.

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
Why do some people set up livery yards? She clearly is too lazy for the amount of work horses need and has no people skills. I was at one yard, paying for part livery and found that the YO hadn't been feeding my horses - I was out of there like a shot! My current yard is great and I'm sure there are plenty in your neck of the woods that do things properly. You don't have to put up with it!

rach1984horse

Visit site
MOVE! She sounds like a YM I used to work with. Eventuallyy I left because liveries/Riding School customers were coming to ME with problems and ended up in a situation of having to try adn relay things back to YM & YO or having to spend extra time doing them myself.

ISHmad

Visit site
I would definitely move. She sounds like the first YO we had. A hormonal old bag who wanted the money from liveries but not the inconvenience of people and horses...