My youngster is acting out the ordinary!

forever young

Visit site
My 9 month old pony comes in at night and goes out in the day. He goes out at around 6 in the morning and comes back in at about 5 or 6.
He normally walks out to the field perfectly and has been fine grazing in the fields with the other ponies. However this morning my friend put him out for me as I had a problem with my car and she said he walked out the field fine then went mad. Apparently he wouldn't go into the gate with the other ponies and charged round the field and knocked her over! He ended up being left in a seperate paddock for the day. He was also brought back in this evening by the same friend and she said he was brilliant to catch, came running over to her, she clipped him on to the lead rope and then started to walk in to the yard. He then yanked the lead rope out of her hand and went galloping round the field like a lunatic!! She said she wasn't scared but was a little worried he would hurt himself as he had the lead rope hanging. She has put him out an brought him in for me before so he knows her quite well. Any ideas what could have caused this behaviour. Do you think he might have got scared or was he trying to take the p**s? Sorry if this is a stupid thing to ask but just wondered what you all thought.

forever young

Visit site
Yeah he is. I have the vet coming out at the beginning of April to see if he's dropped as he hadn't when they checked before. He isn't colty

forever young

Visit site
Yeah he is. I have the vet coming out at the beginning of April to see if he's dropped as he hadn't when they checked before. He isn't colty at all, in fact he is so laid back it's mad!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Sounds like he just took the p out of a new handler. I wouldn't be too worried. Perhaps do some more work on manners and if he is strong in a normal headcollar you may find a rope halter gives you a bit more control but he needs to be taught the basics in the halter, - pressure release, step back and over etc.

If he is fresh it would be wise to wear a hat and gloves when leading him.

flirtygerty

Visit site
Sorry, this is just my sense of humour
After several references to he goes out, he ran wild round the field,
someone comes up with Is he a colt?
At 9 months old, no he's a filly with b*lls, sorry it's been a long day
but made me laugh

sprite1978

Visit site
but made me laugh

Asking if he is a colt is a valid question. Colts are often cut younger than 9 months.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
but made me laugh

My question was perfectly valid. Why can't a 9 month old foal be a gelding ?