Myler Bits- opinions please

MillionDollar

Visit site
I am thinking of buying a Myler Comfort Snaffle for my horse, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them and whether they are any good?

I have been told they work wonders, because of the pressure is taken off the tongue. Also the ports come in different sizes, low, medium and wide, so which is best?

I think I'll go to a bit bank instead of plunging in and buying a £60.00 bit though, lol.

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
very simply depends on the horse some love them some hate them and you wont really know till you have one and have used it for a minimum of a week!

remember if you want it to be dressage legal you can't have a port!

I personally far prefer a sprenger or Kangeroo lozenge snaffle over a myler comfort snaffle :p

frannieuk

Visit site
I posted a while back - tried a lonk shank combi in my tricky mare and its a miracle bit. I was very sceptical but she adores it, like a different horse!

dieseldog

Visit site
There are a shed load of mylers on ebay at the moment starting at 9.99, the long shank combi 19.99!

They are good bits

Sarah1

Visit site
I agree it does depend on the horse. Usually you'll find that a horse with a big tongue won't appreciate a normal snaffle as it has a nutcracker action and can pinch the tongue, however, a myler will probably work wonders because of the port.
I have a WB x ID and he has a very big tongue and big lips - he goes beautifully in his myler. He has a low port comfort snaffle and it's the best thing I've ever bought for him! He's light in your hand and I have more than enough brakes!
I can't recommend them highly enough, I think you're right to go to the bit bank though if you're not sure which to buy.

Peanot

Visit site
I too have the low port comfort snaffle, MB04. This worked well in my mare who is 16.3hh DWB X ISH. But after a couple of months, I change back to my sprenger loose ring french link for a while as she tends to lean on the myler. After reading this, I will put the myler back in after the weekend. The reason I changed it this time is because I started to compete in dressage and so needed the sprenger. I do like the myler tho and like Baileydoo, my horse has a big tongue and so she likes it too.

MillionDollar

Visit site
Thanks for the advice everyone. I plunged in (deep into my pockets, lol) and brought a brand new Myler high wide comfort snaffle off ebay. Got it yesterday and used it today on two of my horses. The results were fantastic, both loved it and went straight into a good contact/outline with no leaning or pulling. I will definitely recommend them to anyone!
smile.gif