Myler bits

baby_dudley

Visit site
Hi all!

Just wondering if anyone rides in a Myler with the hooks? I want to hear any experiences good or bad. I have heard generally good things and want to try my girl in one. Would like to hear some personal stories x thanks guys :)

Cheiro1

Visit site
I take my horse on fun rides in a low port comfort snaffle with hooks. Gives me a really nice feel and she is very responsive to it :) (she was previously in a dutch gag with back strap and 2 reins)

I did try a high port one which she HATED but I think it was just too much in a little mouth. :)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Yes I had one for my ex racer. I was a bit naïve and when my old horse died he was a rebound buy. Literally off the tracks!
He was actually, looking back really good but the one thing I could not do was keep old of him in canter, canter WAS flat out gallop with little steering or anything. This was in a loose ring snaffle.
One day I tried him in a friends Myler and we cantered in control for the first time ever :) I was thrilled so went and bought a Comfort snaffle with hooks. From that day on he always cantered nicely. This could of course be down to the bit or just that he started to get the message that he was no longer required to go flat out- I don't really know but he was happy in it so I was happy with it.

Last edited:

cob&onion

Visit site
My cob is in myler hanging cheek without port or joint just the barrell. She goes nice in it.
What difference do the hooks make?

Last edited:

MrsNorris

Visit site
Daughters pony had a low-port comfort snaffle with hooks and went very well in it, was the only bit she didn't try to put her tongue over.

baby_dudley

Visit site
This is the issue I'm having my mare keeps putting her tongue over. She is in a happy mouth loose ring snaffle at the moment.

baby_dudley

Visit site
I think the hooks can be optional to use if the bit you have has them, but applies more poll pressure I believe? Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still doing my research on them hence this post :)

dotty1

Visit site
I use a myler comfort snaffle with a small port with a Micklem bridle and my mare loves it. I always use the top hooks and have only used the bottom hooks once when I took her xc schooling and I knew she would get a little stronger. It did the job and worked well.

MrsNorris

Visit site
This is the issue I'm having my mare keeps putting her tongue over. She is in a happy mouth loose ring snaffle at the moment.

Our mare was a real serial offender with putting her tongue over, we tried loads of bits before the myler but nothing else worked. We always used the hooks and she never did it wearing that bit. Good luck with sorting it out, I expect it may be trial and error for you too, but the myler is definatly worth a go. Can you borrow one to try as they're pretty expensive?

baby_dudley

Visit site
I managed to win one on eBay pretty cheap so going to try and then sell on if its no good and hopefully get back what I paid for it :)
Sounds like I might of gone with a good instinct after seeing these comments so fingers crossed.
I really want a micklem bridle that's definitely on the Xmas list hehe x

tankgirl1

Visit site
Boyo is in a myler ported comfort snaffle. Are the 'hooks' the slots that you attach the reins and cheek pieces to? If so then yes we use them, he is on part loan and it is what his owner has always used on him. What difference would it make if we didn't use them? I was under the impression that this was quite a mild bit?

He goes well in it, but both he and I need a lot of lessons - we are just happy hackers at the moment.

Cheiro1

Visit site
The hooks only really add poll pressure if you put a curb chain on, which I do.

Other wise they just make the rein aid a bit more direct I guess, so they do add strength :)

baby_dudley

Visit site
Ah I won't be using a curb chain then. Look forward to it arriving so I can get on and try it. :) thank you everyone for responding xx

pip6

Visit site
Last edited:

loopylucifer

Visit site
mine only likes her myler 04 and 06 both have hooks but only use top one. She is very light and sensitive and just used to put tounge over everything else! she also have a micklehm bridle. only things she is happy with