Myler Bits

Annagain

Visit site
I only bought one because I wanted a hanging cheek mullen mouth for my boy and the Myler was the only one big enough. However it has a thin mouthpiece and a very pronounced curve which really suits my boy so I would recommend that particular one for a horse with a big tongue. There's a lot of choice of different mouthpieces and cheeks so you'd probably either have to get advice from a bitting expert or go for trial and error until you find the right one.

AFB

Visit site
I'd suggest going via the Bit Bank or similar as there are so many variations, they do re-sell fairly well but I'd rather try beforehand

Dave's Mam

Visit site
tried one an my horse didnt like it. it has a thin mouth piece so is sever. BTW if you order get an inch smaller than you usally do

If your horse has a low palate & fleshy tongue, a fat mouthpiece is very uncomfortable. The ethos of the Myler bit is comfort in the mouth & allowing the horse to bring its tongue to the roof of the mouth to swallow.

My pony was evasive, mouth open & tongue over with a normal snaffle. Tried a Myler & he's going great in it.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
A myler mullen barrel was the only bit accepted by my youngster. I don't think it's severe at all. They are good for horses with a shallow bit seat and that don't have much room in their mouths. I use mine without a noseband and my mare never even opens her mouth. As a horse newly under saddle, I think this proves it is a comfortable bit for her and not at all severe.

eventer and proud

Visit site
If your horse has a low palate & fleshy tongue, a fat mouthpiece is very uncomfortable. The ethos of the Myler bit is comfort in the mouth & allowing the horse to bring its tongue to the roof of the mouth to swallow.

My pony was evasive, mouth open & tongue over with a normal snaffle. Tried a Myler & he's going great in it.

He does have a small mouth and big sensitive tounge and opened his mouth which is why we tried it. but it just didnt work

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I started my Ffin In a normal hanging cheek, he hated it and was heavy in the hand. I tried a friends Myler snaffle and he was a different horse, light and responsive. He has used the same bit for 15 years. Kevin didn't go well in one. They are not severe , they are designed to be comfortable and as kind as possible. However if all horses were the same we won't need different types of bit. ;) Worth seeing if you can try out first. In the Kent region we have a bit lady who comes out and fits the bits.

Goldenstar

Visit site
tried one an my horse didnt like it. it has a thin mouth piece so is sever. BTW if you order get an inch smaller than you usally do

It's nonsense that a thin mouth piece is severe .
I like the simple Myler bits and have several of the level one /two snaffle .I use the Myler loose ring comfort snaffle on a lot of horses .
I do not like however the stronger type bits that you often see deployed as brakes.

Annagain

Visit site
Mine too - in an ideal world I'd have it 1/4" bigger but 6" is as big as they go. My boy would be the first to complain if he wasn't happy in a bit - we had 18 months of trial and error before finding the right one. He's very happy in his Myler.

elisha

Visit site
Mine too - in an ideal world I'd have it 1/4" bigger but 6" is as big as they go. My boy would be the first to complain if he wasn't happy in a bit - we had 18 months of trial and error before finding the right one. He's very happy in his Myler.

im having issues with mine at the minute and heard nothing but good things about mylers so worth giving it a go!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I went down a size for my Myler comfort snaffle, compared to a lozenge snaffle, but that is only a quarter of an inch.

EG, my chestnut mare had a 5 inch lozenge snaffle, but her Myler is 4 3/4 inch.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I always use half an inch smaller in a Myler

I think Myler bits are supposed to be fitted slightly wider than normal bits. They are designed to be fitted ith 1/8th to 1/4 inch of space between the corner of the mouth and the inside of the rings.

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Well all I can say is that the 5 inch Myler comfort snaffle that I tried on CM (who as stated above had had a 5 inch lozenge snaffle) was swamped by the Myler. So much so that I put bit guards on it until I was able to find a 4 3/4 inch one. When comparing the two bits (the 5 inch myler and the 5 inch lozenge) the myler was bigger as it is 'pre bent' if that makes sense.