Myler combination bit?

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I got a myler last year for my mare for extra brakes then she blew a tendon. So the bit got cleaned and popped back in the bit box.

Now it looks fine apart from what looks like the sweet iron stuff. I'm going to pop it on ebay but does anyone know how to get it looking less rusty on those bits?

These bits are rather expensive to buy and I'm hoping to get a good price for it but worried about how this looks :eek:

Any ideas??

Daytona

Visit site
It's meant to look like that, same happened to mine and I rang Myler up, as it happens one of the Myler brothers were over doing a promotion and I spoke with him

The metal is designed like that on that bit ( if you read the cardboard bit you got with it, it tells you) helps the horse mouth the bit.

So don't worry , it's supposed to be all rusty looking ;-)

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Thanks :) I always use sweet iron these day as I like how the horses seem to like it so I personally don't mind the oxidation but for selling will folk not be a bit 'yuck' about it?

Bethie

Visit site
Get a kitchen scourer on it, that will clean the rusted bits off. One of the metallic looking curly ones does it best.

I use the same bit and I absolutely hate the "oh its meant to be like that" line. You put a pile of rust in your mouth and see if you like it then. If you clean it (rinse it) and dry it every time its used it does not rust. If sweet iron does give a better feel to the horse, its from the chemical reaction taking place at the time it happens, not from donkeys old rust being there. Rant over ;)

pip6

Visit site
Personally would clean it, but would not be put off by rust (I would clean it after purchase). I wash off my Myler after each use & it has no rust on it. Agree with above.

Doogal

Visit site
I believe if you are planning not to use a sweet iron bit for a while you can give it a light coating of veg oil to stop rust building up.

I bought a second hand myler that looked a little rusty and it didn't put me off! It is the oxidation of the metal which produces the sweet taste.