Myler comfort snaffle

nicnag

Visit site
I need some advice!
Ellie has a habit of sticking her tongue over the bit and when she does all hell breaks loose until she gets it back over again. She can tend to cross her jaw and try to evade the bit. A lot of this has been down to when I bought her she hadn't had her teeth done for quite some time and they were a mess, I've since had this all sorted out for her and I'm keeping on top of it. Another reason is when she was on loan to a college I think all the different riders have messed with her head. Her mouth is also very soft and breaks down at the lips quite easily.
Getting an outline is a problem but once she has realised it's more comfortable it's much better and she will maintain it.

At the moment I ride her in a loose ring hollow snaffle with a flash noseband, she has a very TB type mouth, narrow and shallow! She doesn't get strong unless we're jumping.

A friend suggested a Myler Comfort Snaffle which when I read up on it sounds like a possible option but I was wondering on your opinions as it's not cheap!

alicep

Visit site
i had one for my TB who avades the bit every day! i found she was a bit more settled in it but wasnt overly impressed. its worth trying one from a bit bank or shop if you can. and you could try a grackle noseband to stop the jaw crossing. Can you buy bits that prevent the horse sticking their tounges over them?

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Had mine in one for about 2 years and he did go nicely in it, but then one day just decided to lean on it and now goes horribly in it!

Where abouts in the country are you? If you're fairly local to me you can always try mine and see how you get on.

MillionDollar

Visit site
Ahhh now this is what a lot of people find, and the key is to alternate with different bits.

For example my cob has-

Straight bar pelham
NS 12mm snaffle
Eggbutt french link snaffle
Myler comfort snaffle
American gag
and a Waterford snaffle

She then wears one for a couple of weeks, then I swap. Otherwise she leans and gets strong. Doing this keeps her light and interested. And it works.

so03

Visit site
Both my horses use Myler bits. My old TB mare goes very nicely in her comfort snaffle. She was very strong and I used to jump her in a loose ring with market harborough as she threw her head in the air and you could not hold her. Now she is in her comfort snaffle, cavesson and no martingale. i can do anything with her.

The idea behind them is that you only use a cavesson noseband as any other noseband will change the way the bit works. So they are not designed to be used with a flash or a grackle etc.

Try this web site, Hilary Vernon does a lot of lectures about bits in general and will be able to give you loads of helpful advise. Good luck

http://www.informedbitting.com/profile.htm

ErinDoig

Visit site
got one for my mare.

tried everything then ended up joining the bit bank and trying this. havent needed anything since worked wonders for us

nicnag

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your comments, I've tried a grakle and it works great for jumping but we also compete in dressage a lot so I need something dressage legal. I'd love to find something she is happy in for any discipline as she is one of these really sensitive mares who gets upset if you change anything.
Does anyone have an address for a bit bank, tried google with no joy!
Chestnut Cob - thanks for your generous offer but I'm in the Scottish Borders so maybe just a bit too far for you!