Myler Correctional Ported Pelham

antigone

Visit site
Sorry, no but you can get a book by the Mylers called "The level best for your horse" which explains the theory behind it all which may help you decide.

Shay

Visit site
I have two. (Long story... lent one. Thought I'd lost it, bought another..)

We first used it on a 12.1 welsh Sec A ex scurry pony we had to try to compete as a 128SJ'r. He was absolutely wonderful with the most incredible jump but absolutely dead in the mouth and really bulled along on his forehand with his head tucked into his chest - as many driving ponies will. The bit was excellent for him - gave (limited) brakes and certainly helped with steering.

Now we use them mainly for the led pony when we need to ride and lead. No particular science to it - the moveability of the bit and the particular action gives better refinement and control when you are leading one from the back of another. (The led horse does not usually use a pelham.)

IMO they are a great tool to have in the box. I wouldn't hesitate to try it. I massively prefer Mylers over "traditional" jointed pelhams. The conversation is so much more nuanced - even using roundings.

Casey76

Visit site
Correction ports are nasty. The tongue gets sucked up into the port without any relief. Depending on how wide the port it, the edges of the port then can dig into the bars of the mouth.

A high barrel ported mouth is going to be more humane than any correction port.

Crackerz

Visit site

We first used it on a 12.1 welsh Sec A ex scurry pony we had to try to compete as a 128SJ'r. He was absolutely wonderful with the most incredible jump but absolutely dead in the mouth and really bulled along on his forehand with his head tucked into his chest - as many driving ponies will. The bit was excellent for him - gave (limited) brakes and certainly helped with steering.

Now we use them mainly for the led pony when we need to ride and lead. No particular science to it - the moveability of the bit and the particular action gives better refinement and control when you are leading one from the back of another. (The led horse does not usually use a pelham.)

IMO they are a great tool to have in the box. I wouldn't hesitate to try it. I massively prefer Mylers over "traditional" jointed pelhams. The conversation is so much more nuanced - even using roundings.

I have a pony who naturally rides very low, thus falls on to the forehand, mostly because at all times, he is fiddling to get his tongue over the bit - there never seems to be a moment when he isn't trying! He has had his mouth & teeth, back and tack checked a million times and it is fine, just a little fleshy like most natives. Do you think this would benefit him?

I bought a Bombers tongue saver last year, £110 and whilst improved, still fiddled intently

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site

Thanks Shay. Just to confirm, your pelham has this mouthpiece?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31QwRbywYXL.jpg