Myler Low Port Comfort Snaffle v Bombers Happy Tongue

BarbieHorse

Visit site
My very green horse is currently not a big fan of bits - as soon as I put the bridle on he just tenses up/goes quiet and stops munching his hay. He's only lunging at the moment (due to start ridden work next week) and I'd really like him to be more settled in his mouth. He has been ridden before, and his default seems to be to tuck his head in and go behind the vertical - have been working on getting him long and low on the lunge and hopefully his will carry through to his ridden work.
At the moment I have him in a loose ring snaffle with a lozenge in the middle (my default bit for any horse) but he's just very tense in his mouth. He has a Micklem bridle and is much better without the bit clips than with so I'm guessing he doesn't like the more "fixed" feeling with the bit clips.
He had his teeth done a few weeks ago - they were quite sharp so maybe he's just "expecting" it to hurt?
Not sure whether to persevere and see if he starts to relax in this bit or whether to try something else - don't really want to be constantly chopping and changing in case that upsets him more, but then maybe he'd be more comfortable in something else?
He has quite a small mouth and big tongue, so I'm toying with the idea of either a Myler low port comfort snaffle (without hooks) or a bombers happy tongue.
Just looking for thoughts really, any suggestions greatfully received! 😊

Amye

Visit site
I'm no expert in bits - but my boy has been in both of these. He's got a very fleshy small mouth and a big tongue so is difficult to get a good fit.

He doesn't hate the myler but does 'fix' his jaw a bit with it and doesn't go as well.
I tried the bomber happy tongue on suggestion and he does seem to like this one more and seeks the contact much nicer than with the myler (though both technically a good 'fit' for his mouth). I think he likes the loose ring action of the bomber more than the eggbut of the myler. Though I'm finding the bomber can pinch a bit so ATM i'm swapping between bits until I find a solution for the pinching - thinking I might need to go up a size and get bit guards....

I think they're both nice 'kind' bits so definitely worth a go. They both have small mouth pieces and the bomber has room for the tongue so good for horses with not much room in their mouth!

pansymouse

Visit site
I too have both for my big tongue, small mouth mare and she prefers the Bombers however she's much better bitless and I'm currently trying to find a bitless option that gives me brakes! I hired bits to try and find which was right for her - it's much the best option with difficult to bit horse.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
I have a an IDx with a tendency to be fussy in his mouth. Started him with a Sprenger loose ring double jointed with lozenge - he hated it - lots of headshaking, pulling and drooling (!). So on recommendation tried the Myler low port comfort - he was much happier (no drooling, violent pulling or headshaking) but he is still trying to open his mouth, not take a contact and lean on my hands. Now on the Bomber happy mouth - slight improvement but still trying to open mouth and not take a contact. So still trying to work out what to do here! Horse only seems settled if allowed to go on a long rein but here he tends to be on his forehand. Sigh. He's a lovely big horse too... Anyway bought a youngster recently and he was in a double jointed with lozenge but was too light, behind the contact etc. So instructor recommended a single jointed eggbut or D ring with him and there has been a massive improvement. You might find trying something like this first helps!!

claracanter

Visit site
My TB has a big tongue and has always been fussy in the mouth. He has a Micklem and an array of Neue Schule bits. Unfortunately he was turned away for several months due to a tendon injury so when he came back in to proper work I used it as a time to try and work on getting a bit he was finally happy with. I started riding him bitless in his Micklem as a side pull. I hack out like this and still can't believe my ex racehorse goes so well without a bit. As his schooling was progressing I thought it might be nice to take him to a dressage party so he needed a bit. I was recommended the Bombers Happy Tongue by one of the bit banks and we haven't looked back since.

BarbieHorse

Visit site
Thanks all! He's going to a pro yard for a few weeks while I'm on holiday so they should hopefully be able to try a few different bits with him and see if anything works. Failing that I'll order the Myler and the Bomber from the bit bank when I get back ��

eggs

Visit site
My Dutch wb who has a small fleshy mouth with a big tongue has always been a little fussy in his mouth and whilst he takes a good contact he 'jiggles' the bit. I have always had him in lozenge jointed bits with the most recent being the NZ turtle top but have recently swapped him to the Bombers Happy tongue. I have ridden him about five times in it and so far am very pleased with how he is going in it. He still jiggles it when I first put his bridle on (Micklem) but once he starts working and takes the contact he is a lot more settled in his mouth.

BarbieHorse

Visit site
How old is the horse? Have his Wolf teeth been removed? Are his tushes fully through?

He's 6. Tushes are fully through, hasn't had any wolf teeth removed but vet didn't think it necessary so I don't think teeth are the issue. Although possibly may have been an issue in the past which may be part of the problem...

Wheels

Visit site
I would get the Wolf teeth removed - if they are being irritated by the bit then no amount of bit swapping is going to help.

Maybe get a second opinion by an EDT?

Hodgson94

Visit site
I have a an IDx with a tendency to be fussy in his mouth. Started him with a Sprenger loose ring double jointed with lozenge - he hated it - lots of headshaking, pulling and drooling (!). So on recommendation tried the Myler low port comfort - he was much happier (no drooling, violent pulling or headshaking) but he is still trying to open his mouth, not take a contact and lean on my hands. Now on the Bomber happy mouth - slight improvement but still trying to open mouth and not take a contact. So still trying to work out what to do here! Horse only seems settled if allowed to go on a long rein but here he tends to be on his forehand. Sigh. He's a lovely big horse too... Anyway bought a youngster recently and he was in a double jointed with lozenge but was too light, behind the contact etc. So instructor recommended a single jointed eggbut or D ring with him and there has been a massive improvement. You might find trying something like this first helps!!

sorry I know this is a really old thread, but this sounds exactly like my horse and I am also switching between these two bits, what did you settle on please? Thank you

Hallo2012

Visit site
i would try the bomber happy tongue and Trust medium port-had a LOT of success with fussy unsettled horses in this one.

Hodgson94

Visit site
i would try the bomber happy tongue and Trust medium port-had a LOT of success with fussy unsettled horses in this one.

thank you, I’ve used the HT and he still tries to evade which makes me think it still isn’t quite right, although his Pelham which he is very happy in is also the HT. currently back using myler but he is still heavy on one side which makes me think he’s starting to grab it again .... I was looking at the trust inno sense ported but didn’t know if they’d be to thick... is there much difference between the trust and bombers? Thank you

Hallo2012

Visit site
thank you, I’ve used the HT and he still tries to evade which makes me think it still isn’t quite right, although his Pelham which he is very happy in is also the HT. currently back using myler but he is still heavy on one side which makes me think he’s starting to grab it again .... I was looking at the trust inno sense ported but didn’t know if they’d be to thick... is there much difference between the trust and bombers? Thank you

Yes...the Trust metal medium port is heavier as slightly thicker but a more curved (less square) port and quite a few that dont like the HT settle better in it.

The innosense IS thick but depends if your horse minds that, it worked well on my pony but found it a bit of a blunt instrument beyond novice level, ie hard to have any finesse in the contact so moved to the trust and then eventually to the bomber ported barrel but he isnt fussy as long as its ported.

trust medium port metal has worked really well on a tricky fussy very quirky ex racer and on a slightly spolit/rushed show pony who had never been schooled properly before client got her-both have started to stretch and relax the neck and back instead of sucking back tight in the neck.

Hodgson94

Visit site
If he is grabbing on one side is this a reaction to a different issue rather than a bit problem?
This is his way to evade unfortunately, generally if he is unhappy in his tongue, this is how we worked out he doesn’t like ‘joints’ or movement in his mouth. I’ve had bit fittters out twice already so I’m inclined to not go down this route again unless we really can’t sort it between myself/trainer - was just keen to get peoples opinions on those bits ?

Hodgson94

Visit site
Thanks, yeah I have and he had actually worn part of his tooth from grabbing bits with joints in as he despises anything on his tongue? so straight bars/ported are they way I need to go I think. Thank you