Mysterious black creature in my garden (not horsey)

pennyturner

Visit site
I was clearing dense ivy from a large oak tree this morning. As I sawed away a section of vine, a critter, about four inches long shot downwards across the area I had cleared and disappeared into the dense foliage below. I only got a very quick glimpse.

My first thought was 'how could a mole be up a tree', as it was inky black and sort of velvety. As far as I saw, it had no tail. Could it have been a mouse, or even a bat? - it scampered like a mouse, but I thought all wild mice were brown. No sign of any wings or great big batty feet. Didn't see it's face as it was going downhill.

Any ideas?

pennyturner

Visit site
I don't think it was a rat. I've seen plenty of them before!

Vole is possible ycbm. I've only ever seen the little water voles down by the river, and they're most definitely brown... and a bit bigger. There are several species, I think, and I understand that both voles' and shrews' colour is affected by what they eat.

Having done a little web-sleuthing, I'm erring towards Water Shrew. as it's fur was strikingly mole-like. Even though we aren't by a river, the whole area is criss-crossed by little streams, and apparently the juveniles go walkabout, and quite like woods.

Mrs B

Visit site
Was also going to say mink? Their tails aren't always that noticeable and as Oz says, they move like poo off a shovel (sorry to paraphrase, Oz!)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
We have weasels in our garden often when up in the small hours you can see them playing on the patio, and very occasionally I see them run across my field they are very quick,

HashRouge

Visit site
We have weasels in our garden often when up in the small hours you can see them playing on the patio, and very occasionally I see them run across my field they are very quick,
I was going to suggest a weasel too but they do have tails and the colour is wrong. Might be too big as well. Not sure How good a look the OP got though.

pennyturner

Visit site
Not at all weasely or minky. Much shorter in the body, and far too mall - although it could of course have been a baby of whatever the heck it was. Good suggestions though.

I like the idea of having discovered some kind of arboreal mole, previously unknown to science.

Pigeon

Visit site
Those black voles are so cute!!!

It could be a domestic something gone wild - we had dwarf hamsters living under the floor boards for several months before we caught them again - they'd gone white!! It could be a hamster, they can be suprisingly quick and actually cope well with the cold.

Maybe leave a snack out for it in the tree and see if it returns?

Fingers crossed for a tree mole, you could get the species named after you :p

suffolkmare

Visit site
Ok, quite a few interesting suggestions but what OP saw was black/dark, around 4 in long, no clear tail, in ivy/old tree... so I reckon most likely would be melanistic mouse or vole, or shrew, hibernating bat not awake enough to fly - but likely to be others as they roost communally, mole that for some reason did manage to get there (had been caught & dropped there by a cat??), escaped hamster... ah just seen someone else has said that too!